ProSites, WHMCS, Membership2 or all of the above?

I asked a second question originally in a previous unrelated thread (here for reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/subdomain-multi-site-setup-in-a-subdirectory#post-1177206), but I thought I would start a new thread as recommended.

The question is, which plugin(s) should I use to create a subscription model to webhosting? I want the potential new client to come to the site (my main site? blog ID 1?) and see a pricing table. From the table, they can choose Basic or Pro for an Annual or Monthly fee (discount for annual). They would click 'Order Now' button under the plan they choose. The next screen would take them to a screen that says I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers. They type in the domain (they have to already have it, or go get it and come back) It would take them to a checkout cart where they pay. From there, it would be great if it were automatic, but I'm ok doing it manually, I want to create the site, set it up and design it, choosing from a few different templates they are offered. We load up the content and create a user for them and then turn the site over to them. On their dashboard, they will not have access to plugins or other admin capabilities, only pages and posts.

What is the best way to approach this using all of the WPMUDEV tools? :slight_smile:

Example I'm looking at to accomplish this: https://www.verticalaxion.com/pricing/

Thanks!

-Fred

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Fred,

You can use only Pro Sites and Domain Mapping for what you described in first part of your post. Except that:

The next screen would take them to a screen that says I will use my existing domain and update my nameservers. They type in the domain (they have to already have it, or go get it and come back) It would take them to a checkout cart where they pay.

that would need to be custom coding, because pro sites allows to choose subsite name and then after user paid, and have subsite created, then they will be able to map domain with Domain mapping plugin.
    Pro Sites will handle Pricing tables, different prices for levels and periods, creating user and subsite and checkout (so payments) - but that screen where they put their domain is not available, because domain mapping is done after site creation.

And now second part of your question:

We load up the content and create a user for them and then turn the site over to them. On their dashboard, they will not have access to plugins or other admin capabilities, only pages and posts.

So this part is not possible at all with Pro Sites because main goal of Pro Sites is that user buys site and after payment gets it, automatically created and that user is admin of that site so they can enable and disable plugins that are available for them (only you as super admin of network can install plugins). So that part denies whole purpose of Pro Sites.
    In that case, when you want to do those things manually and create user that is not site admin - it better to use Membership 2 Pro so it will just handle subscriptions - you can create different subscriptions with recurring payments monthly and annually.
    Still, there will be no screen with that Domain info, but Membership has option to add custom fields to registration through BuddyPress, so then you will have info about that domain and you will be able to map it to subsite you created.

Summarizing - if you decide to do fully automated process then pro site is solution, if you are sure you want to create all for client and don't give them any more access than editor, then Membership is solution.
    However with your requirements there will be need for custom coding or additional plugins.

Let me know if you have more questions.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Fred,

Yes, Pro Sites has expiration - so if you would use Pro Sites and user would not do payment - then site will be automatically set as expired and they will be forced to pay to use it. If you go with Membership subscriptions - Pro Sites will not handle payments so it will be impossible for it to expire sites.
    But still with Pro Sites they will also create site by themselves and be admins.

When you will use Membership then you will have to check if payments are made and disable sites if not.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.