Protect Content - How do members login and logout?

I can't see where subscribers can LOGIN or LOG OUT. I don't what subscribers to access the WP Dashboard or the generic WP Sign in page. Can you provide detailed step-by-step tutorial on how to setup the LOGIN AND LOG OUT forms.

• Ash

Hello @Tracy

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

For front end login, you can use this plugin : https://wordpress.org/plugins/flexible-frontend-login/
    There are more plugins that does the same job: https://wordpress.org/plugins/flexible-frontend-login/

Here is a list http://www.scratchinginfo.net/best-wordpress-login-registration-plugins-widgets/

You can try any of these which suits your needs :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Tracy,

Did you decided which plugin you are going to use so we can give you some more information depending on that?

For example if you use plugin like this one you need to go to Settings > Custom Login and there you will find the plugin settings.
    In the Design Settings tab set the visual look that you wish to use and after that switch to General tab and Activate the plugin to see the changes.

You can combine it with this plugin where you can set the redirect options after the login for different roles or users.
    For example, go to Settings > Login/logout redirects, scroll down to Specific levels part, select the user roll and enter the URL for after login and URL for after logout. Update the changes and that should be it.

To customize Protected Content pages go to Protected Content > Settings > Membership Pages tab, hover on the page and click on Edit Page link
    You can find list of the shortocodes that can be used with the plugin by going to Protected Content > Help > Shortcodes tab.

You can read more about using the plugin here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/#usage

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Traiteri

I appreciate all your help and the help of the other support team.... but I can't believe that Protect Content is SOOOOO hard to setup. I thought the whole membership system would be included.

I read the plugin page but still don't get it. Is there a video that talks and walks someone through setting up a membership site, covering EVERYTHING needed?

From you advice and from 20+ hours of research, this is what I think I need to do - including the Protect Content plugin:
    1. Install a plugin to brand and customise the WP login page;
    2. Install a plugin to redirect Admins/Editors to the dashboard and everyone else to the home page;
    3. Install a plugin that 'hides' the WP dashboard bar from everyone except Admins/Editors;
    4. Install a plugin that creates a LOGIN / LOGOUT link in a menu so members can login and logout;
    5. Finally, work out how to get Protect Content to work, setup up membership levels, setup payment gateway; and how to allow admins, editors and authors to have access to all areas of the site, including any protected content.
    6. Work out how to allow people to register and to pay for the membership;
    7. How to activate new members;
    8. TEST

I have officially 3 days to get this all done and I thought purchasing WPMU plugin would have made this easy; appreciate any help you can give me, although I suspect you don't work over weekends.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Tracy,

Hope you're doing well today.

Membership system is included with this plugin but the Proteceted Content is mostly suitable to hide your front end content from the users with selected membership.

Plugins I suggested for the login page and redirect are simple to use, I tested them before recomending them and only took me few minutes to set everything up, you shouldn't have any issues with this.

For the login/loguout link there is a simple solution you can try, in header.php file search where the menu is being called, most common is the <nav> tag.
    So what you can do is just before the </nav> closing tag paste this code <li class="bd-menuitem-1"><?php wp_loginout(); ?>, this will create your login logout link depending on if the user is logged in or not.

Me and other members will be working over the weekend so if you need any help with setting everything up don't hesitate to aks, we are here to help.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Tracy,

I wanted to add something to this thread since one thing totally slipped my mind.
    Instead of using different plugin to add your login form you can use the shortocode included with the Protected Content, just place this in your page:
    [ms-membership-login]

You can check other shortcodes included that might help you with your setup by going to Protected Content > Help > Shortcodes tab.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.