protect content vs membership2 vs. membership1 vs. 'membership pro'

I have Protect Content installed. It's working well. I keep getting a message about an 'update' to Membership2 but it seems like that will require an upgrade to my account. In addition, the message for Membership2 says "Important: This update will replace the plugin "Membership Pro"! but I do not have Membership Pro; I have Protect Content. Also, the upgrade screen shows I have 'membership1' installed which I do not. I have Protect Content.

When I try to use the 'auto update' button on the page in the screen grab, I get this error:

Downloading update from https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php?action=download&key=bd8d7e4e8b7094033e6d0d6ee1bfe412d2ef7bfa&pid=1003656…

Unpacking the update…

The package could not be installed. PCLZIP_ERR_BAD_FORMAT (-10) : Unable to find End of Central Dir Record signature

Please tell us why there are 3 (or 4!) plugins that all seem to do the same thing, why this 'upgrade' seems to cost more money, and what's happening to my current version of Protect Content (1.1.1.7). It's not even listed on this 'ask us a question' page in the dropdown, only 'WPMU DEV Dashboard' is listed.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @scwtech! :slight_smile:

I have Protect Content installed. It's working well. I keep getting a message about an 'update' to Membership2 but it seems like that will require an upgrade to my account.

About that need to upgrade... that shouldn't be required, I'll bring that up to the rest of the team here. In the meantime though, to get things going for you, I've just granted you a free upgrade to a full membership, so you'll have it until the end of your billing period here. :slight_smile:

In addition, the message for Membership2 says "Important: This update will replace the plugin "Membership Pro"! but I do not have Membership Pro; I have Protect Content. Also, the upgrade screen shows I have 'membership1' installed which I do not. I have Protect Content.

That's curious as well, something else to bring up to the team here. As for this:

Please tell us why there are 3 (or 4!) plugins that all seem to do the same thing...

Membership 2 Pro is the successor to both our Membership Pro & Protected Content plugins, so it replaces both of those plugins (meaning that there's only one membership plugin running around now). The update you're seeing presently is an upgrade from Protected Content, to our new Membership 2 Pro plugin.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• scwtech

Thanks for the quick reply. However, you've now mentioned yet a fifth plugin name (Membership 2 Pro). Here's where I seem to stand:

- Protect Content: I bought a singe plugin membership for $19 which gave me this plugin.
    - Membership1: your "WPMU DEV Plugin Updates" page says I have this installed, but I do not.
    - Membership2: that same page calls Membership2 the 'latest version'
    - Membership Pro: this is what that page says Membership2 will replace
    - Membership 2 Pro: I have no idea what this is but you mentioned it in your reply.

this is fun: go here https://premium.wpmudev.org/wdp-un.php?action=details&id=928907& and click 'download now' and it opens the exact same page in a new tab.

whatever you did to my membership ("granted a free upgrade to a full membership, so you'll have it until the end of your billing period here") allowed me to update the plugin but I was then brought to a php error page"

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /data/11/0/126/85/778737/user/797294/htdocs/bpbp/wp-admin/menu.php on line 259

and now my http://www.bigpicturebigpurpose.com/wp-admin/ page is blank. I don't know why a 'free upgrade to full membership' was required since I already pay $19/month for this one plugin which was updated to something with a new name (which could be any number of names) and that free upgrade only seems to last until the end of my billing period. then what?

I'm going to open my site through FTP (I'm really, really glad I'm tech savvy enough to know how to do that) and I suppose I'll rename the WMPU plugins there, try to allocate more memory, and rename the plugins back. or I might have to reinstall everything. I REALLY hope I don't lose months of settings that I'd done in Protect Content. Can you tell I'm pretty angry now?

• scwtech

ok, all seems well. I opened wp-config.php and changed

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M' );
    to
    define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '96M' );

and the site back-end is up again. I now have Membership 2 as a plugin, and no longer have Protect Content. On first glance, it seems like all my settings were preserved.

But I'm still confused by all the names, and confusing links to upgrade, and the fact that you had to give me a one-time upgrade to make the update work. What happens when the next billing cycle starts and I pay $19 again? Will I continue to get updates to Membership 2?

• Michael Bissett

Hey @scwtech, glad to hear that the upgrade went well, and that you got that memory issue sorted out! :slight_smile:

To break down your last question here:

But I'm still confused by all the names...

Membership1 = Membership Pro

Membership2 = Membership 2 Pro

Protect Content = the precursor to Membership 2 Pro

Now, as mentioned before, Membership Pro (Membership 1), as well as Protected Content, have both been retired, and now Membership 2 Pro is the single premium membership plugin we offer.

...and confusing links to upgrade

Which is something to be looked into, as I do agree that it is confusing. :slight_smile:

and the fact that you had to give me a one-time upgrade to make the update work.

Giving you the upgrade was not only a way of fast tracking the upgrade to Membership 2 Pro (like I said, single members shouldn't be running into this sort of issue), but it also seemed like a nice thing to do. :slight_smile:

What happens when the next billing cycle starts and I pay $19 again? Will I continue to get updates to Membership 2?

That'd be something that you'd want to bring up to our billing/accounts department, as that'd be the best place to discuss this (as we only handle technical support issues here).

You'd be more than welcome to reach out to them via our secure contact form here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Just be sure to select "I have a billing question" when filling out the form, so that you're reaching the right department. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• scwtech

Hi, me again. I'm again seeing an 'upgrade to download' message in the WPMU DEV Updates Available screen on the back end of my site.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/laj5imzh5c6a824/Screenshot%202015-07-01%2012.08.26.jpg?dl=0

And once again, the terminology used there is confusing. I have Membership 2, but that screen says I have Membership 2 Pro version 1.0.0.7 installed. And that I need to 'upgrade to update'.

This is getting very tiresome. I obviously want to update the plugin (which is why I continue to pay $19 a month) but the system seems broken. What's the difference between Membership 2 and Membership 2 Pro? Why does the system require me to upgrade to update? Please do not grant me a free upgrade as you did previously (which was nice, and thank you); that's not fixing the problem or the terminology.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @scwtech,

You have Membership 2 Pro installed, given the version number you mentioned. If you had the free version, you'd see a different version number system in use (it'd look like this: 4.0.0.x).

As for the need to upgrade, I've resolved that for you here, so you shouldn't be running into that now. You may need to go to:

WPMU DEV -> Updates

And click on the "Update Now" link at the bottom of the page there to see the changes in place.

There's a bit about your account that needs to be mentioned, we'll do that via email, as that's where billing related discussions are supposed to take place (as we only handle technical support issues here in the forums). :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.