Protect Courses with Membership while Allowing Single Course Registration

I am trying to set up a LMS using CoursePress Pro + Membership + MarketPress to allow users to access all courses (Membership) or enroll in individual courses (MarketPress).

Right off the bat when MarketPress is active a loading modal shows up on the home page... (see attachment "Capture":wink:

I have deactivated MarketPress and am now trying with just CoursePress and Membership. Two ways I can think of to achieve the desired outcome with the two plugins mentioned would be:

1. Use URL protection - The issue with this is that if I protect the /courses URL users cannot see the courses offered. If I protect the individual courses I will have to create a membership for each individual course and will have hundreds of memberships to manage. Plus, I don't know how Membership Pro would handle hundreds of memberships. If I could somehow get the course category in the URL I believe that would work. That way I could create memberships for each category and protect with URL and the courses would still be displayed for users without a Membership.

Example: ../courses/category/my-awesome-course

2. Category protection - I tried the category protection but only post categories are shown. The custom post type protection shows courses as well as the modules for each course. By the time all the courses are loaded the protection management for custom post type would be unbearable. Is there a way to add the custom post type (course) categories to the category protection?

I believe the cleanest would be option 2 but I'm not sure how quickly that can be available.

At this point MarketPress might be out of the question due to the available protection rules. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or has experience setting up this type of structure.

Thanks,
David

• Sajid

Hi WebDoc,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

If you go with option one - then when ever non member will try to access that URL, they will get redirected to protected page immediately bypassing showing the list of courses.

In Membership 2 you can manage unlimited number of memberships. There are no restrictions set by Membership 2 plugin.

Option 2 - I am afraid custom post category protection option is not available in the plugin at the moment. You can only protect individual custom posts using Individual Custom Posts add-on.

You don't need to create single membership for single course. However, you can create a membership and group of courses and units in that membership individually. For example create one membership and add 3 courses and 20 units in this membership. Create another one and add other courses + units and so on..

That MarketPress loader should not be on home page by its own. If you continue getting this issue then please start separate thread to get further assistance.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• WebDoc

Hello Sajid,

Option 1 would be great but how do I get the course category in the URL? If I protect mydomain.com/courses none of the courses are visible...

I've had a couple clients ask to be able to sell individual courses along side a membership access to all courses. It would be cool to have Membership Pro and CoursePress Pro integrate and the custom post types protection seems to be a good way to do it.

Thanks for the help,
    David

• Sajid

Hi WebDoc,
    Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

You can get the category URLs from CoursePress -> Course Categories -> View button. But yes that would still be not working because on course page visitors can get the direct link to course page.

Right now the only option is to protected all courses and units individually with a membership from Protection Rules by using the Individual Custom Posts add-on.

That is the more secure and viable solution at the moment.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance :slight_smile:

Best Regards,
    Sajid

• WebDoc

Sajid,

Thank you. I will discuss more with my client. If you can please add some sort of integration between these two plugins to the features request list or let me know where I need to go to add a request. I see Wordpress LMS systems becoming more and more popular and it would be great if there was an easy way to sell individual courses along side membership access to all courses.

Thanks again for looking into this for me. It's not the outcome I was hoping for but the support experience from WPMUDEV was great as usual .

Best regards,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.