Protect pdfs for members only (Membership Premium)

Using Membership Premium plugin (I know there is a new membership plugin just released... but too late now). I have a page for members only with links to PDFs. I need these PDF urls to be protected so only logged in viewers have access to it. I tried putting the PDF url in the URL groups of Membership but that didn't seem to work.... I've read a lot of questions about this and find all of the answers quite confusing. I'm looking for a straight forward way to address this. Thanks.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Emily, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

Inside your site's Dashboard, you'd want to go to:

Membership -> Options -> Media

And set the "Protection method" to "Hybrid Protection" (see first screenshot below).

Now, when it comes to setting up the media protection for an item, I've got a screenshot that'll show where you need to adjust it (I've already set it to the "default" group here).

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Emily

Thanks. I did what you said to do. I then added a link to the PDF from a member-only page.
    When I access the link logged in as a regular user - I get a page error. (see screenshot). And the URL is not the file.
    But we I access the link logged in as an admin, it's fine.
    Further, when I put the original URL to the pdf file in my nav bar, I can see it (including when no user is logged into the browser!!)

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Emily, my apologies for the delay here!

I did what you said to do. I then added a link to the PDF from a member-only page.
    When I access the link logged in as a regular user - I get a page error. (see screenshot). And the URL is not the file.
    But we I access the link logged in as an admin, it's fine.

This regular user, he did have a membership that has access to this piece of content, correct?

I should've mentioned this earlier, but assuming that you're using Positive rules for the membership, you'd also want to add the "Downloads" item to the level (when setting up the level rules), and make sure that the media group you assigned to the attachment to is accessible by that particular membership level.

Once you've done that, the member should be able to access the PDF file you mentioned. :slight_smile:

Further, when I put the original URL to the pdf file in my nav bar, I can see it (including when no user is logged into the browser!!)

As we mention inside of the "Download/Media Options" page (shown in my 1st screenshot earlier):

Note: if a user determines a file's actual location on your server, there is very little we can do to prevent it's download, so please be careful about giving out URLs.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.