Protect Premium Content (PDF download)

The premium content that is included in my Membership site includes PDF downloads. I would like to store these files outside the web root, so they can't be found or accessed by anyone who doesn't have a subscription. There doesn't seem to be any way to link to them in the WP site, since they are not in the public web. Any ideas how I can make this work?

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hello babbsela,

Welcome to the Forum!

The membership plugin already had a functionality to protect downloads and limit them only to registered users. You can see its settings in Downloads / Media tab in the Membership options section of the membership plugin. (wp-admin/admin.php?page=membershipoptions&tab=downloads)

When you upload a pdf file or a media file, you can choose to include it as a protected media and the plugin takes care of the rest :slight_smile:

See the screenshot attached.

• babbsela
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The problem with this approach, that I am trying to prevent is this line from the settings page:
    Note: If a user determines a files actual location on your server, there is very little we can do to prevent its download, so please be careful about giving out URLs. The user could determine the files actual location on the server, even if I don't give them the URL.

If the files are saved outside the public web, and retrieved by the plugin (in the same way that the Secure HTML5 video player does) the problem is solved. I would love to see this functionality added to protect the downloadable media files in this plugin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.