Protected Content – All Pages Blank

I have an odd issue that cropped up on a live client site this afternoon. Everything has been running smoothly until now.

As of this evening – the site is displaying “blank screens” for all pages. There are a small number (5 or 6) pages and bbPress that are protected behind PC. Again – this has been working properly. This evening all pages on the site are blank.

I am able to log in to Admin and after a bit of testing have determined that deactivating PC, seems to resolve the issue (pages display normally), but obviously with PC off the content we want to protect is no longer protected.

I have gone through the PC setting to see if the client has changed any setting. All appears to be normal. BUT – if I enable PC – the front facing pages all go blank – nothing is displayed. Very odd. No new plugins have been added recently (so I don’t see this as a conflict).

I have enabled SUPPORT ACCESS and would really appreciate it if someone could take a look. For now – I have turned PC off – turning it on will make the issue return.

Edit to Add: Admin log-ins are abel to see all the pages normally, you need to be logged out of Admin to see the white screens.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Jeff

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Jeff! Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Have you tried to delete Protected Content and installing it again? Please try it once and add below define in wp-confing.php file in your WordPress root folder. Disable the maintenance mode when you will post back here so I can see the issue.

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

To:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Jeff
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi @sajid,

Thanks. We have full incremental offsite backups – so no issue. I did the uninstall and reinstall – but the situation did not change.

THE WORK-AROUND RESOLUTION:

For the benefit of others who may come across this in the future..

Here is what we figured out. There was/is a plugin conflict between “Protected Content” and the ZenCache Pro caching plugin (which we use a lot with no issues).

It turns out that ZenCache Pro (version 150409) and Protected Content (version 1.1.1.6) DO NOT play nicely together. They did – up until recently. As Zen Cache was last updated in early April and PC was last updated in mid May, I’m inclined to believe that the issue is caused by PC.

Here is what happens .. If PC and Zen are both activated, then pages across the site (protected or not) display as blank white screens. If PC ‘protection’ is turned off OR Zen is Deactivated (fully deactivated in the Plugins menu), then the problem is resolved and the site behaves normally.

Because Protected Content provides fundamental functionality (membership page protection) within our sites, we have unfortunately had to deactivate Zen Cache Pro (which is unfortunate because its an absolutely awesome Caching plugin – easy to use – providing significant performance improvements).

Anyway – my take-away – there is a conflict caused by the latest update of PC. (given the release dates, I believe the blame lies with PC). The two played well together previously.

• Jeff
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Another update on this and I would now label this as a “Protected Content” BUG.

Late yesterday I installed one of our other preferred caching plugins on the site (assuming that the conflict between “Zen Cache Pro” and PC would be resolved by using an alternate caching plugin).

BUT, the issue reappeared as soon as we installed the new caching plugin (WP Rocket).

If we enable WP Rocket at the same time that PC is enabled – all front facing site pages (for non-logged in users) go blank. Turn off Protection in PC – the problem is resolved. Deactivate WP Rocket – the problem is resolved. The common denominator here is “Protected Content”.

I am going to do a test and set up a brand new installation on our Dev box to see if we can reproduce this issue with default WP theme and only PC and one of these caching plugins running. Shall advise as to results.

This is a “show-stopping” issue for us – we need PC installed and running on certain client projects – but – we also need caching.

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi Jeff! Thanks for all the info and updates :slight_smile:

But I am unable to replicate this issue on my test site with cache plugin installed (WP Super Cache).

I don’t have WP Rocket or the other plugin so I can not test them. If its okay for you to share these plugin with me so I can test on my own test install as well to confirm the bug.

Take care and have a nice weekend :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.