Protected Content - based on Multisite / Multi-DB: How about USER REGISTRATION

Hello again,

first of all: It's always a great pleasure to know that highly skilled professionals are supporting us, when it comes to any issue and/or question. Best of all: Answers or any solution is given within shortest time.... that's indeed TOP LEVEL support. YOU GUYs are doing absolutely a brilliant job!!!

We organized our application as follow:

MainDomain
FREE access for all
to find out what
the site is all about
BUT
user are navigating from
this level to one of
of the subdomains
ALWAYS
''
''
''
................................................................................''.................................................................
'' '' '' ''
'' '' '' ''
subdomain 1 subdomain 2 subdomain 3 subdomain nn
protected protected protected protected
incl. incl. incl. incl.
Registration Registration Registration Registration
Page Pages Pages Pages

We have installed: MULTI-DB
BUDDYPRESS
CHAT
and other nice to have WPMU Dev Plugins

Here are our question regards MULTISITE/Multi-DB installation:

1) Is it still mandatory that BuddyPress Registration must be disabled using PROTECTED CONTENT ?
2) Do we have to activate STRIPE on every subdomain to or is it enough just to do so on MainDomain?
3) USER Registration... can we implement the REGISTRATION FORM on one of our subdomain (dedicated as
SUPERINTENDENCE ONLY) or is it mandatory to use WORDPRESS Registration located at MainDomain?
4) Are Plugins which are enabled on subdomains ONLY (e.g. CHAT or WIKI) access protected too?
5) Protected Content had recently some updated... are there any mandatory steps necessary to do on each
subdomain in order to run Protected Content properly? Currently each subdomains includes a notice
that Protected Content got an update or can we simply ignore that message/subdomain?
6) When is completed User Manual for this plugin... based on MULTISITE / MULTI-DB available?

Please if possible, could you evtuell produce a FLOWCHART DIAGRAM to explain how Protected Content works?

Many thanks in advance.
Looking forward to the answers.
Have a nice day
Prinz

• Michelle Shull

Hi Prinz!

Let's take these questions one at a time.

1) Is it still mandatory that BuddyPress Registration must be disabled using PROTECTED CONTENT ?

Nope! Just make sure when you set your BuddyPress registration page, you use the Protected Content registration page there.

2) Do we have to activate STRIPE on every subdomain to or is it enough just to do so on MainDomain?

You'll need to add your Stripe details on each subsite that's using Protected Content.

3) USER Registration... can we implement the REGISTRATION FORM on one of our subdomain (dedicated as
    SUPERINTENDENCE ONLY) or is it mandatory to use WORDPRESS Registration located at MainDomain?

At this time, I don't think so, but there may be a way. I know we can add custom fields to a registration form with BuddyPress, and the registration form can be replaced by a custom one made with Gravity forms, but I've usually either seen that done on a single site or an entire network. It should be do-able, I just haven't tested it enough myself to say "yes! definitely!"

4) Are Plugins which are enabled on subdomains ONLY (e.g. CHAT or WIKI) access protected too?

Do you have them protected via the Protected Content settings for that subsite? That should work.

5) Protected Content had recently some updated... are there any mandatory steps necessary to do on each
    subdomain in order to run Protected Content properly? Currently each subdomains includes a notice
    that Protected Content got an update or can we simply ignore that message/subdomain?

If you've already updated the version on your network admin, you're covered. I think that's just the splash screen announcing the changes and new features, correct? More informational than mandatory. :slight_smile:

6) When is completed User Manual for this plugin... based on MULTISITE / MULTI-DB available?

The user manual for Protected Content should be updated soon. We'll include a section on using it with multisite. MultiDB likely won't be a part of that manual, but ultimately there's not much MultiDB has to do with Protected Content, and vice versa, so it shouldn't take any additional steps to use both.

Please if possible, could you evtuell produce a FLOWCHART DIAGRAM to explain how Protected Content works?

I can bring it up with the docs team!

Thanks for your questions!

• Klaus

Hi Michelle,

indeed you are brightening my day, today. Having such prompt reply to my question... amazing! Also like before: Your answer are really helpful.

Am still insecure about the "working concept" of Protected Content. I am wondering, why are the account + registration + registration completion page as well as STRIPE gateway on each sub domain implemented, when new user have already entered his/her personal details during the registering process while on MainDomain... which includes the details necessary for payment.

Well it makes sense having the Protected Content and Memberships page included on any sub domain. But all the other pages... makes no sense to me at all and is most confusing.

My question regards to Multi-DB: I am wondering, in which data table are User Registration and personal bank account details stored? Also, when e.g. sub domain number 5 (includes market press) which db table are stores those user details... which link is to set to get member account details already entered at the beginning when signing up for a membership?

Thanks
    Prinz

• DavidM

Hi @Prinz,

Thanks for your further questions, I hope you won't mind my stepping in alongside Michelle here! :slight_smile:

The user database is just the same as with Multisite normally, Multi-DB wouldn't change that. It's the wp_users table. Bank details are handled securely by the payment gateway you use (Stripe) so you won't have to worry about that. MarketPress purchase details would be handled through the sub-site where the purchase is made so the details would be in the respective sub-site.

Protected Content works on a per-site basis, thus why the registration would be per-site. Did you need a network-wide solution instead?

If so, Membership has a "global database table" for that, though it's quite complex so it can take a fair bit of work to get things configured to your liking.

If you need more info about that, just let us know. Or if you have further questions here, feel free to ask Prinz. We're here to help. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    David

• Klaus

Hello David,

big thank you to you too. We'll in this case - as explained by you - we would definitely need a 'global database table' which of course does NOT disturb in anyway our existing MULTI-DB structure.

On the other hand, WPMU DEV Membership does NOT include STRIPE gateway nor is this plugin anymore in focused to be updated. For those reason I believe it makes no sense to invest obviously heaps of effort to get this version of membership installed properly.

Though we are wondering, is there any solution to go with the existing PROTECTED CONTENT membership version... which would take over all those "registration details" a user has already made when signing up the for a membership with us?

Unfortunately we are not experienced with writing program code to solve such a routine. So we are wondering could WPMU Dev write a plugin to get around that 'per-site' program program structure... as we can also imagine, that many other WPMU Dev members might have the same request like we do.

What do you think, is that an acceptable idea also a possibility to help out?
    Looking forward to here from you soon.
    Meanwhile, once again big thank you for your helpful explanation.
    Prinz

• Jude

Hey @Prinz

Sorry the response took a while longer than expected. Appreciate your patience. Looks like Michelle is really busy and this one slipped through the gaps

This looks somewhat unrelated to the original question. Here is a tip on the best way to get fast support here, its best if you open a new ticket for a separate issue and that way someone always follows up, we sometimes don't monitor resolved threads and your questions may slip through.

Could you post a separate ticket and someone will have this fixed in no time ?

Cheers
    Jude

• Jude

Hi there @Prinz

I am just letting you know

Though we are wondering, is there any solution to go with the existing PROTECTED CONTENT membership version... which would take over all those "registration details" a user has already made when signing up the for a membership with us?

Because of requests by valuable members like yourself this feature is not available with protected content. You can import Membership data into Protected Content directly now :slight_smile:

Please open another ticket for any new issues you face and we'd be happy to help ( This one is marked resolved. I am here because Im keeping an eye on your threads) .

Cheers
    Jude

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.