Protected Content Config Question

We have a bit of a unique config question for this membership plugin. We have businesses that sign up with our company and then offer our services to their clients for free.

1. We need a portal so they can enter in someones information like name, email etc... and then that client gets a email with the information about our free service, and then they are able to click that link in the email which sends them to a confirmation page. On that page they set up their password and get access to the free content.

They would be considered free members of our site and get access to the content.

2. When a business registers (these are the companies that grant access to their clients) they don't want to give employees access to change all their company info, so we need a small portal where the business can enter a login name and pass, and when someone logs in all they see is the page mentioned in step 1. The page to enter clients information to become free members.

I understand this might be custom coding involved but was not sure if this was possible in plugin config settings. If this is custom coding who do I contact about helping us create this portal asap.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Jason,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

This is indeed quite complex idea but let's see what we can do about it :slight_smile:

1. We need a portal so they can enter in someones information like name, email etc... and then that client gets a email with the information about our free service, and then they are able to click that link in the email which sends them to a confirmation page.

I think there's a number of "invite" plugins for WP but the simplest way would be to simply setup a from with Gravity Forms (or similar) plugin and place this form on a page protected by Protected Content. This page should be only accessible for "businesses" (so let's call it "Business" membership - created with Protected Content).

On that page they set up their password and get access to the free content. They would be considered free members of our site and get access to the content.

Here the visitor register and sign up for a basic membership (may it be "Basic" membership). This is an out-of-the box feature. Just create a standard free membership and then assign an access to selected parts of your site.

2. When a business registers (these are the companies that grant access to their clients) they don't want to give employees access to change all their company info, so we need a small portal where the business can enter a login name and pass, and when someone logs in all they see is the page mentioned in step 1.

The tricky part is that you create another membership here. You got "Business" for your business users and you've got "Basic" for free members. Here you create another one, let's call it "Employees". There's a second form accessible only for "Business" but this one invites people not for "Basic" but for "Employees" membership.

Having those two "invite forms" you also setup two different signup pages: one for "Employees" (that only shows the "Employees" signup choice) and one for "Basic" (that only shows the "Basic" signup choice).

With this structure you grant access to the first "invite form" (for "Basic" membership) to "Business" and "Employees" members, and to the second "invite form (for "Employees" membership to only "Business" members.

Let me know please what do you think about it!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Jason

Dang it thats a GREAT IDEA!!!! this should not require any special coding at all and will allow us to get updates with the plugin and not have to change code every time.

One quick question tho:

"With this structure you grant access to the first "invite form" (for "Basic" membership) to "Business" and "Employees" members, and to the second "invite form (for "Employees" membership to only "Business" members."

With what you mentioned above does this plugin have this invite form? or is this something we need to create.

Thanks

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Jason,

I'm glad you like my idea! I think this would be the simplest way to setup a site like this and it doesn't involve any special coding.

As for "invite form". This is unfortunately not a part of Protected Content but I think you can use a Gravity Forms plugin (http://www.gravityforms.com/) to build custom forms and there's even a registration add-on. With such a form your "Business" and "Employee" members should be able to fill-in all the necessary details and even send the link to a selected sign-up custom page so the users would register only for selected membership.

Actually, any plugin that allows you to build a multiple custom forms, place them in posts/pages and use to send e-mails should do the trick :slight_smile:

If you have any further questions on this, please ask!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Jason

We ran into another question on this setup... each business we set up they have their own membership level, this way we can control what appears in each sidebar using WPMU sidebar pro plugin. So the issue is on the invite form can we control which membership level people are getting invited too .

Would it be easier to use the Invite add on to accomplish this? Invitation Codes (BETA) or go about it another way. I am hoping we can create a invite form that invites them to a specific membership level. Thanks

• Jason

Also can we just custom code the function on a sign up page using Html. That way when a business enters the new members potential members info it does to that membership level. Also I asked in another thread about a custom email for each membership level.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/different-welcome-emails-for-different-membership-levels

maybe we can code the specific member welcome email and invite form in one place. If you can just give us a little direction on how to accomplish this that would be great.

Thanks

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jason,

Mind if jump in here :slight_smile:

Have you considered using Invitation Codes add-on included in M2 plugin?
    Even though the add-on is still in beta it should be working fine.

It will allow you to create invitation codes that can be assigned to specific membership only.

You can then use our e-Newsletter plugin to send those invitation codes to specific groups of members.

Would something like this work for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jason

Well the business enter the new members and they get a email and go sign in and access the membership. If I can attach the newsletter plugin to a membership level, and the business can enter the new persons name and email, then the system send the email with a link to a page where they can pick their password, or finish registering then that will work. Can you confirm if this would work with that set up? and sorry I know that was one stinking long run on sentence!

• Jason

Also it might be easier on the system to just add some custom html that when the form is filled out, this email gets sent and they have access to a certain membership level. I would rather add that code then add more plugins, the more we add the more they dont work when there are changes and updates. I think I answered my own questions....lol I would rather have the custom code. Can you help tell me what instances would need to be called in order to complete this in custom code?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Jason,

I hope you're well!

I guess you did answer your own question, indeed :slight_smile: I'm not quite sure if custom coding this feature would be more beneficial than incorporating a simple plugin but on the other hand it should be fairly easy.

A simple form (that's just a "sketch"):

<form method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="my_invite_send" value="1">
    E-mail address: <input type="text" name="my_invite_mail">
    <input type="submit" value="send">
    </form>

Simple mail sender:

<?php
    if ($my_invite_send):
    $my_subject = "Join our site";
    $my_msg = "Please signup for our site at http://yourdomain.com/membership";
    $headers = "From: My Company <mycompany@example.com>'. "\r\n";
    wp_mail( $my_invite_mail, $my_subject, $my_msg, $headers);
    endif;
    ?>

Of course you'd want to
    - validate the form input
    - "catch" form data (e.g. $_POST['my_invite_mail'])
    - sanitize form data

Such code (both) could be easily added to a custom page template, then you could set this template as a template for page for your businesses (protected with their membership).

I hope that's a helpful tip :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Jason,

I hope you're well!

I guess you did answer your own question, indeed :slight_smile: I'm not quite sure if custom coding this feature would be more beneficial than incorporating a simple plugin but on the other hand it should be fairly easy.

A simple form (that's just a "sketch"):

<form method="post">
    <input type="hidden" name="my_invite_send" value="1">
    E-mail address: <input type="text" name="my_invite_mail">
    <input type="submit" value="send">
    </form>

Simple mail sender:

<?php
    if ($my_invite_send):
    $my_subject = "Join our site";
    $my_msg = "Please signup for our site at http://yourdomain.com/membership";
    $headers = "From: My Company <mycompany@example.com>'. "\r\n";
    wp_mail( $my_invite_mail, $my_subject, $my_msg, $headers);
    endif;
    ?>

Of course you'd want to
    - validate the form input
    - "catch" form data (e.g. $_POST['my_invite_mail'])
    - sanitize form data

Such code (both) could be easily added to a custom page template, then you could set this template as a template for page for your businesses (protected with their membership).

I hope that's a helpful tip :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.