Protected Content - Pay Button Doesn't Show & more...

Hi.
RE: Protected Content / Wordpress 4.2.1 / Windows 8.1 64 bit

1. a person visits MyWebsite/memberships
2. they are taken to MyWebsite/register
3. they fill out the form and submit
4. they are taken to: MyWebsite/register/?action=register_user&step=payment_table&membership_id=268.

The page lists the membership type and states: "Please check the details of the membership below and click on the relevant button to complete the signup."

PROBLEM #1
Internet Explorer 11 - latest version
The pay button does not show (however, the user is registered and added to the list of members in Protected Content)

PROBLEM #2
Opera, version 29.0.1795.47
After the registration page is submitted, the user is taken back to an empty "register" page (however, the user is registered and added to the list of members in Protected Content)

NOTE
The pay button DOES show up in Firefox - 37.0.2
The pay button DOES show up in Chrome - Version 42.0.2311.135 m

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Don, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

I wasn't able to get past the "Create an Account" page in testing this in Internet Explorer 11, seems like W3 Total Cache might have cached that page?

Could you clear the cache for your site please? And could you enable Support Access to it, in case I need to check the settings here?

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Don

I have solved this...sort of. Please somebody tell me if my assessment is correct.

I had Protected Content setup with Stripe, but as previously mentioned, the pay button would only show in Firefox and Chrome, but not IE.

I turned Stripe off and tried using PayPal Standard for which we have an account. That does not allow recurring payments, but does a one off. The membership I was testing had a kind of one off (single annual payment option) but if left that way, would not automatically re-bill the customer after a year.

The PayPal pay button showed up in IE.

Protected Content is on a domain that does not yet have an SSL certificate set up. I checked and found that Stripe requires an SSL certificate. With PayPal, an SSL certificate is not necessary, because the payment is occurring on PayPal's side, not our domain.

My take is that IE will not show a pay button on a domain that does not have an SSL certificate, at least not through Protected Content.

Does anybody know if what I just explained is the actual correct answer as to why IE was not showing a pay button for Stripe?

Thanks!

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Don! :slight_smile:

Oddly enough, with what you've laid out here, I'm not able to replicate this on my own test site (with the Twenty Fourteen theme active, and only our Protected Content & WPMU DEV Dashboard plugins enabled), I'm seeing the Stripe button just fine inside of IE 11, whether it's in Live mode or in Stripe (and without an SSL certificiate on my site).

I tried looking into this on your site here, but as I switched on the Stripe gateway & cleared the cache inside of W3 Total Cache (on the off-chance that an old page was cached), I noticed that the front end of your site comes up blank, and that a 500 Internal Server error is coming up in the browser's error log.

Even after turning off the gateway again, I'm still seeing this error come up, it looks like there might've been a conflict that arose in the meantime?

I'd advise enabling WP_DEBUG inside of your wp-config.php, adding in this define:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

If that doesn't reveal anything immediately though, you may wish to upload the no-white-screen.php script inside the attached .zip archive here to:

wp-content/mu-plugins

And then try loading one of your front end pages, that should help reveal what's going on here. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Don,

Thanks for letting me know about the site changes. :slight_smile:

If it's still not working properly once things are back up and running, then I'd like to have a deeper look at what's going on here. In that case, could you please send in the following via our secure contact form:

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Michael Bissett
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include FTP log-in details (hostname, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

On the contact form (linked to below), please select "I have a different question", this ensures it comes through and gets assigned to me.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Don

Michael,

All is well. Once on a dedicated IP address with an SSL certificate installed, the Stripe payment button showed and was functional. Thanks for your help & interest!

Perhaps, if you see this within the next hour, you could help me by describing an outsourcing process for development? We have some customization needed in Directory (and possibly Protected Content).

The bid spec is written and ready. I have attached a copy to this post.

I have looked for developers on the job board with expertise in Directory/Protected Content, and didn't see many. From my understanding, the work we need done is mostly PHP. I'm hesitant to offer the project to somebody who may specialize in PHP but does not have expertise in Directory/Protected Content.

Also, I have considered eLance, but am not sure if this is better than using the job board here.

I do not know what is a fair price for the work either, so I don't know what price to set on the job board.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Don

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Don, glad to hear that the Stripe button works as it should now! :slight_smile:

Does this mean that the issue with Opera has also been resolved? Or is that an open issue still?

Regarding the development you're looking to hire out for... hmm. Your question makes me think of a post by one of chief developers here at WPMU DEV, regarding the creation of a plugin:

As far as a plugin from scratch, depending on it's complexity and the developers experience they can be anywhere from $100-$200 to thousands. For example I remember James posting somewhere that Incsub would have quoted $20,000+ for the Supporter plugin here if it was for a client.

The hardest part in finding a developer is finding a good professional one who will complete the project and do it well. From my experience it is worth paying for a good developer to get it done. Too many people go bargain hunting and get screwed with an unfinished/unsatisfactory product.

Most important thing is make sure you are familiar with their previous work (and that it's quality).

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Don

Michael,

Yes, the Opera issue is also resolved; happened as soon as the site was placed on dedicated IP with SSL installed...dunno why.

In process of finding a coder now.

I have a different issue with Directory now.
    Once you sign up, (in this case, a free 30-day trial, with payment and control governed by Protected Content) and you go to MySite/listings/my-listings, you land on: MySite/my-listings that has the button to create a new listing. When you click the button, you get the page-unavailable.

Also, maybe without realizing it I deleted a page, but when in the WP list of pages, I click: "Listings" I get: You attempted to edit an item that doesn’t exist. Perhaps it was deleted?

Any ideas?
    I'll turn on support access, so if you want, you can take a look.
    Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.