Protected content query

I want Visitors NOT to access the Forums which are for paid members only. After I set up the membership subscription plans and access levels earlier today to show Visitors with a negative rule for 'Forum' and clicked on the 'Forum' page (at the time I hadn't linked the BBpress forums 'Forums' to the empty page 'Forum') ... it worked. The PROTECTED CONTENT text appeared. Hurrah!

However, I had set up some BBPress Forums and realised I'd set up a blank page called 'Forum' (while the forums were called 'Forums' so i changed this in the Pages section and updated the menu... the forums now appeared on the forums page, which appeared in the menu. Hurrah again!

However, now, when I'm logged in and I click on Forums I can see all of them. Yet when I'm logged out, I get a message saying 'Oh bother! No forums were found here!' rather than the Protected Content page.

I have checked the Visitors level Access Levels and removed the page from the negative rules then redid it, and still the same result. I just need to know how to set it to protected content again. It's doing my head in somewhat.

Thank you.
Kind regards
Cheryl

• Kimberly

Hello there Cheryl,

I think I may understand what you are trying to explain so I will make a suggestion to get us started :slight_smile:

Can you go to the pages and completely delete the Forum Page? You will need to go to the Trash to ensure it is permanently deleted.

Then you will need to go to edit the Forum page you are looking to protect and ensure that the slug for that page is indeed /forums (or whichever you are looking the page name to be)

Looking forward to your findings

Best,

Kimberly

• wibble

Sorry Kimberley, I seem to have spoken too soon. While the initial issue is resolved (i.e. when viewing the site as a Visitor and clicking on the Forums page i get the 'Protected Content' message - which is great and what I wanted).... on the flipside, when I am logged in as admin or viewing the site as a member, I cannot see the forums at all. (And when I click on 'view forum' from the admin ... it's the BBPress Plugin that I'm using - whereas before i could view the forums, now I get
    Error 404 // Page could not be found.
    Sorry, the page you are looking for wasn't found.)

Very puzzling. This is happening to both public and private forums.
    Please can you advise?

• wibble

Since I posted this I've had someone work on the rest of the site for me.
    Now the problem has reverted, so that when I view the site as a visitor or member I can see all of the forums (despite having set the access levels for visitors to negative rules to the page 'forums') ... however, when i log out as admin i can just see one forum (but the protected content message has gone completely) - it was showing before I had any work done.

Also, i have installed a Business Directory plugin (not wpmudev) and asked the web developer to make it so the 'submit listing' button is viewable only to paid members and not visitors. When I'm logged out as admin, I cannot see the submit listing button, but when I am logged in, and viewing the site as visitor or paid member, I can see it. I suggested he wrap the code for the submit listing button with protected content shortcode instructions. Is this right?

Could I possibly give you a login? Would make it all so much easier?

Thanks
    Cheryl x

• wibble

Thank you Kimberly. You are completely fabulous!!!
    One final question re the Membership Plugin. If someone signs up for the Level 1 Basic or Level 2 Super and wishes to upgrade to the next level... how does that work/how do they do that? (as they'll have already paid the £7 fee for the first level, so should only pay £20 or £40 instead of £27 or £47... if that makes sense?)

Thank you
    Kind regards
    Cheryl

PS I am launching this new vibrant online support network for Women In Business: Brilliant Local Enterprises (WiBBLE) on Sept 25 so all very exciting (and nervous). :slight_smile:

• wibble

URGENT:

Hi Kimberly. I am launching the WiBBLE site on Tues 25th September and have one critical issue I need to be resolved. I hope you can help (you have a log-in so it may be that you need to use that to have a look?).

When I clicked on the "Sign Up" button on the Join WiBBLE page it says 'Create an Account'

When I do either of the following:
    Create a new "test" account and click Register My Account button or
    Click on 'Already Have a User Account' and sign in using those details it takes me to: http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/register/?action=registeruser and says in a green box:

"Please check the details of your subscription below and click on the relevant button to complete the subscription"

Have a coupon code:
    Apply...

HOWEVER, CRUCIALLY - the Level/Price and Paypal Subscribe Button are NOT SHOWING! So people will stop there and not sign up. As you can see this is critical. Please advise as a matter of urgency. Thank you.

(Note - when I'm signed in already before I view the page and I click Join WiBBLE and click on the sign up button it takes me to the page, as it should be, with the information included and the vital 'subscribe' button included.
    "LEVEL ONE – BASIC BUSINESS BOOST MEMBERSHIP Just £7 per year (I know!!) - PAYPAL SUBSCRIBE BUTTON).

I look forward to hearing from you
    Kind regards
    Cheryl

• Kimberly

The most common culprit for this happening is 1. having the Free Gateway activated in addition to your paypal gateway and/or 2. assigning a level to a user upon signup via the Settings above the Allow incomplete signup setting.

Please note that the Allow incomplete signups can cause trouble with folks getting access if they cancel the payment process. If your users are not being activated when they sign up we need to look at the cause of that, changing that setting is not the ideal way to fix it.

• wibble

Hi Kimberly. Thanks for your response. I have also sent you a contact message directly with login details. As you've been the most helpful support member I've encountered, as you explain things clearly in easy-to-understand terms without jargon or tech speak, I'm really keen for you to help me out and log-in and maybe create a new test user and see if you can duplicate the error i'm getting and see if it can be resolved or if you can resolve it (as I'm launching the site in one week).

Firstly I don't have the free gateway activated in payment gateways (see attached). Also, I've not assigned a level to a user (it's assigned to 'none':wink:.

I agree with you regarding looking at cause of users not being activated when they sign up rather than allowing incomplete signups. Perhaps that's something you could log-in to look into as well Kimberly? I shall change it back to untick that box.

I wonder if it is because the Membership upgrades is set to one day?
    Am getting really worried about this as I'm launching soon.

Here's what I want to happen
    A visitor clicks on Join WiBBLE and they see all the different membership levels and what you get for each level. They click on 'sign up'
    This takes them to 'Create an account' so that they can have a user account/profile on the site but they still can't access the paid-members protected content (i.e. the forums).
    They then click on register account and it takes them to the subscription page where they subscribe.
    This is happening/working just fine (it strangely wasn't when I contacted you earlier; but the only thing I'd changed was to activate incomplete signups).

However, I also want a user who maybe hasn't made up their mind to buy a paid membership, but got as far as creating a user account, to be able to come back to the site, then login using 'Already Have A User Account' and be able to sign-up. Currently, that is NOT working when they follow that particular journey. However, STRANGELY, if they simply login using the control panel http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/wp-login.php and click on the join WiBBLE page and click 'sign up' as they are already logged in (no need to click 'already have an account':wink: it takes them to the subscription page and it's working fine. So it's like there's a glitch??? It only doesn't work when you go via the 'already have an account' link.

Please feel free to have a look to check I've set up the right payment gateways and membership upgrades etc and to see if you can set up a test user and replicate the problem and feedback to me.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm launching this site at a big launch event next Tuesday and need to get this issue resolved asap (on the plus side, it's working fine for new members who sign up, create and account and subscribe to paid membership (which should be the majority of people).

Thank you so much Kimberly
    Kind regards
    Cheryl

Note - this is happening for all user accounts I've set up (to test the system) even those that I registered two weeks ago.

• Kimberly

This takes them to 'Create an account' so that they can have a user account/profile on the site but they still can't access the paid-members protected content (i.e. the forums).
    They then click on register account and it takes them to the subscription page where they subscribe.

The above is going to be affected by

I wonder if it is because the Membership upgrades is set to one day?

THAT is why. This delay is in place to prevent abuse of signups.

I will login tomorrow if I can find the email. Did you happen to include a link to the thread here?

Best,

Kimberly

• Kimberly

I have taken a look at the site and see that the reason your Members are showing in active is due to a miscommunication between PayPal and your site.

If you take a look at the note above the "Enable Incomplete Signups" option on the General Settings menu you will read:

The default setting for the membership plugin is to disable user accounts that do not complete their subscription signup.

I used my personal account to purchase a subscription and can tell you that the payment does indeed get taken and the subscription is indeed made. However I was NOT routed back to the site as per the intended behavior upon completing payment.

This means that the IPN is not set to Automatic in your PayPal account, or something else is preventing this behavior via the PayPal account.

Membership is set up to automatically get the information, there are no user settings that need to be made. When the user pays and is not routed back to the site this means the Membership plugin will not get notice of the payment and thus:

The default setting for the membership plugin is to disable user accounts that do not complete their subscription signup.

Inactive member.

You will need to go into your Paypal account and ensure that there are NO settings in your IPN defined.

• wibble

Hi Kimberly,

Thank you. You are right about IPN - it was set to "do not receive IPN messages".

So I have selected to start Receiving IPN messages - it that correct?

However, one more question - I gather I will need to input the actual site url (the site I am launching next Tuesday which this dev site will be switched to - i.e. http://www.WiBBLE.us rather than the dev site http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk?
    Or should I set it to the dev site url (http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk) for testing before the site goes live for launch, and then change it the day of launch, once tested?

"To start receiving IPN messages, enter the notification URL and select Receive IPN messages below. To temporarily stop receiving IPN messages, select Do not receive IPN messages below. PayPal continues to generate and store IPN messages until you select Receive IPN messages again (or turn off IPN)."

Regarding the subscribe info and button not appearing for test users clicking the 'already have an account' link. I will check whether this is still happening and let you know.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Cheryl

• wibble

And it's still saying "Sorry, this account is not active." when I register a new account and don't go straight ahead with clicking the paypal link (so I register a new account and then leave the site and try to log in and it says it's not active).

And, when I do login using my admin login and click on Join WiBBLE it's still NOT SHOWING the subscription information or paypal button (it only displays correctly if you click sign up THEN create an account then click Register my account) ... it then shows you the suscription info and paypal button.

But if you do sign in (eg as admin) or click on 'already have a user account' and login, it doesn't appear.

Oh dear. Please help.
    Sorry.

Cheryl

• wibble

Please see numerous messages posted above this one.

Kimberly, please note that all of these test users I've set up have "incomplete accounts" because I've not gone through the payment process with any of them. I only wanted to actually purchase the subscriptions once I know this sign up information/paypal button issue is resolved. I guess because none of them have completed the sign up process, that would be maybe why they are showing as 'inactive'? Just a thought?

Re the subscribe information/paypal button not appearing: Please note - when i sign in using the alternate login from the Unite theme at the top of the page (see "Find out what WiBBLErs say about WiBBLE here. administrative login (alternate)" text on the home page just above the yellow header which says 'Featured WiBBLErs". <<< click on "alternate" and a login bar appears at the top of the page. If I login there and click join Wibble (rather than click 'already have existing account' on the create new account page) the paypal button and subscribe information DOES appear. Maybe I should get rid of the 'already have an existing account' link/option, as that's the only place where you click and get the above screenshot (ie information not appearing)???

Anyway, I also need to know what exactly to do with the paypal IPN thing. As i've set it to the wibble.bluebit.co.uk site and it's not working (see above) - is that the wrong url to set to send IPN messages to?

Thank you so much for your help with this. With just under one week til the big launch event I'm a bit anxious so can't thank you enough with helping me resolve these issues.

Kind regards
    Cheryl

• Kimberly

However, one more question - I gather I will need to input the actual site url (the site I am launching next Tuesday which this dev site will be switched to - i.e. http://www.WiBBLE.us rather than the dev site http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk?
    Or should I set it to the dev site url (http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk) for testing before the site goes live for launch, and then change it the day of launch, once tested?

You don't fill in anything, just make sure it's not turned off, it will work itself out. You don't fill in a url.

And it's still saying "Sorry, this account is not active." when I register a new account and don't go straight ahead with clicking the paypal link (so I register a new account and then leave the site and try to log in and it says it's not active).

See this note! The default setting for the membership plugin is to disable user accounts that do not complete their subscription signup.
    If you are not offering a FREE account then anyone who signs up without purchasing is NOT a member. As all of your subscriptions are PAID subscriptions. If they do not purchase then they are not completing the subscription signup I don't know how to explain that any clearer, sorry :slight_frown:

And, when I do login using my admin login and click on Join WiBBLE it's still NOT SHOWING the subscription information or paypal button (it only displays correctly if you click sign up THEN create an account then click Register my account) ... it then shows you the suscription info and paypal button.

The way you become a member is to register then purchase. there is nothing wrong with what you are seeing here. You are not completing a subscription just by registering your username. Again, you will need a FREE account if you don't want to require anyone to purchase.

If you go to sign up for a magazine subscription, input your name, shipping address but don't actually send any money then you are NOT a magazine subscriber. So you will not have any account information to see. Your purchase is what creates the account, so if you don't make a purchase how can you have any account info? Why would one of your users be any different? If there is no account created then why would you expect them to have account information.

guess because none of them have completed the sign up process, that would be maybe why they are showing as 'inactive'? Just a thought?

BINGO! DING DING DING! YOU GOT IT! YAAAY! :slight_smile:

'already have an existing account'

If this is made by your theme then it's probably linked to the WP login, which is not used in the Membership signup. Your users must Register via the Membership panel, and the Membership pages will only show the information. Any WP generated page will not.

• wibble

Hi Kimberly. Ok, it seems there is a problem because when I go from turning IPN off (do not receive IPN messages) to turning it on (receive IPN messages) and press save it won't let me unless I enter a URL. It says:

"You must enter a properly formatted URL into the Notification URL field in order to activate Instant Payment Notification."

Is there away round this? Obviously this is critical because if I don't enter a url it automatically defuaults to 'do not receive IPN messages) i.e. switched off. :disappointed:

Thank you for explaining about the inactive users. That makes sense. Sorry, my bad. You are fabulous.

Regarding 'already have an existing account' link I am under the impression that that is part of the Membership panel rather than the theme (as it is used during part of the Membership signup process). If you look on this page http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=1 which is the page a visitor arrives on after clicking the 'sign up' button to sign up to any level of membership (on this page http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/register/) at the bottom of the Create An Account page is an 'already have an existing account' link in red. However, as whenever I click on this link, I am doing so as an inactive user (non-paid-member) I see that this is why I cannot see the subscribe info. The only danger here is if someone doesn't complete the membership sign up when they create an account and then cannot see the subscription information when they login to try to finish the paid membership sign-up process (hopefully that won't happen very often)? However, that is something that is puzzling me.

Thank you Kimberly. Just need to sort this IPN issue. Look forward to hearing from you to try to resolve.

All the best
    Cheryl

• wibble

Also in addition to the IPN issue above... (I'm sorry that I'm struggling to grasp all of this) but I am getting very confused about the login.

How do paid members login?

The only reason they'd actually need to login is to use the forum (BBpress) as they need to login to create a profile and post.

(For Your Info: The only things that paid members get are downloads, (which I shall link to from the welcome page), the ability to submit a listing to the directory (the submit listing button is 'protected') and access to the forum, which is protected content).

I have a theme login but it's not working currently (click login in top menu). However, I am asking my developer to link the 'Register a new account' button to the Join WiBBLE page http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/register/ (so they can subscribe to one of the levels - so that is the only way they can create an account - to pay and go through the paid subscription process).

However, I don't know what instructions to give him regarding the 'enter username and password' bit. This would be the bit that paid members would use to log-in so that they can use the forum. I'm guessing that it needs to link here:
    http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fwibble.bluebit.co.uk%2Fregister%2F%3Faction%3Dregisteruser (?) which is where clicking 'already have an account' link from the membership sign up process on this page http://wibble.bluebit.co.uk/register/?action=registeruser&subscription=1 takes you? As I'm presuming that is how you'd login to use the forum (only accessible if you've paid)?

It's all very confusing to me as there appears to be a wp-login and a membership login, but not sure where the latter is.

Please help.

Thank you.
    Kind regards

Cheryl

• wibble

It is only showing the history for the period when I turned IPN on and specified the URL as wibble.bluebit.co.uk - it really does seem that you need to specify a URL in order to turn IPN on. Here is the history data:

Instant Payment Notification (IPN) history

The IPN feature is turned off. You must turn on IPN in order to create history data.
    Search
    Dates (Range must be within the past 28 days)
    Dateselect

HH:MM:SS

To

HH:MM:SS

Delivery status

Transaction ID

Search results
    Date/time created Message ID Status Transaction ID
    19/09/2012 10:37 BST 3Y2406001J359340X Retrying 85156824HY550790U
    19/09/2012 10:36 BST 8L175462UL568672B Retrying
    18/09/2012 22:44 BST 1CH45226H8928543E Retrying
    18/09/2012 22:44 BST 1H0499485S7090252 Retrying 5ST54841NB910483V

So, when I click to turn IPN on... it goes to this page which makes it mandatory to specify a URL:

Edit Instant Payment Notification (IPN) settings

PayPal sends IPN messages to the URL that you specify below.

To start receiving IPN messages, enter the notification URL and select Receive IPN messages below. To temporarily stop receiving IPN messages, select Do not receive IPN messages below. PayPal continues to generate and store IPN messages until you select Receive IPN messages again (or turn off IPN).

Notification URL
    [ ]
    IPN messagesIPN messages
    Receive IPN messages (Enabled)Do not receive IPN messages (Disabled)

• wibble

Aha. I see, (this is the development site - we will be moving the site to wibble.us very soon).

Am I correct in thinking then that, as soon as the site is moved to the live site (which is not password protected) that IPN notification will work?

(I was planning to officially launch the website at an official launch event on Tuesday, but, if this is the case I could launch it early for test purposes).

Please let me know if this is the case?
    Many thanks
    Kind regards
    Cheryl Rickman

• Tom Eagles

Greetings and thanks for being a great community member.
    We haven't heard from you on this one for long and I am doing a regular followup to see if there is still something we can assist you on this thread.
    Just to manage the support issues more efficiently, I am marking this thread as resolved for now however this is not being done to avoid your questions in any way.
    Please feel free to mark this is "Not resolved" in case you have further questions and we would be back on it.
    Thanks a lot for being with WPMU DEV.
    Cheers!
    Tom
    Sales &Support
    Did you know we offer FREE lifetime memberships? Click here to learn more.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.