Protected Content Signup Form - Error Trapping

Protected Content does not appear to manage errors well (or at all) during signup form entry.

We use PC to allow users of the site the signup and gain free access to certain content. But, the signup form introduces several problems that I'm trying to workaround. When a user tries to register for a membership level (free - no payment collected), we are seeing the following:

Form fields are First Name, Last Name, Choose Username, Email, Password, Confirm Password. (all auto-generated by the shortcode from PC).

1) If the user mistypes the passwords (they don't match) the form puts an error message in the field, but there is no way for the user to correct the mistake - the error message covers the field.

2) If the user chooses a username that is unavailable, the system does nothing - the form reappears, and the user has no way of understanding what the error is or whereto anything has happened.

Any thoughts on the simplest solution for this? Getting a bit frustrated and burning too much time on this.

Thanks - Jeff

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey @Jeff,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the details in thread, it helps understanding the issue better.

I have done some testing on my end I was able to replicate the issue with error message going over the input field and I'm going flag this thread for developers to have a look at.
    Here is a quick CSS fix you can try in the meantime:

label.ms-validation-error {
    	position: relative;
    }

If the theme is not one you made, then you may wish to use a child theme or a plugin like this one for this additional CSS.

I wasn't able to replicate your other issue tho, when typing username that already exists I'm getting this notification That username is already taken, sorry..
    Is there a way to test this on your site so I can check why it's not showing on your end?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jeff

Hi Predrag - thanks for the response.

You can see this form in action - here (That will get you past the "Coming Soon" plugin) - then click the "Appointments>Book an Appointment" and select "Book a Personal Training Appointment" - then select "Register". This will bring you to the form.

I have also enabled "support access" in case there is something under the covers that needs to be looked at.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Jeff

• Jeff

Hi @Predrag;

The CSS Fix you supplied (thank you for that) resolved the error messages covering the fields, with a minor adjustment ..

/* This adjustment compensates for the fact that the Membership
    registration form Error Trapping covers the entry field in PC*/
    .ms-membership-form-wrapper label.ms-validation-error {
      position: relative;
    }

I shall await your further advise regarding the issue with case where duplicate username error does not display.

Thanks - once again!

-Jeff

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi @Jeff,

Thanks for the support access, I did some testing and couldn't figure out the issue. I can see that you have number of plugins enabled on your site and it's possible that there are some conflicts on that end.
    Did you try doing the basic troubleshooting to check that? This means disabling all your other plugins and switching back to default WP theme to see if the issue is still happening after that, my starting point would be your user management plugin.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.