Protected Content - The most powerful, easy to use and flexible membership plugin for WordPress

Hey Everyone,

Today we're proud to announce we've officially launched our brand new Protected Content plugin!

The most powerful, easy to use and flexible membership plugin for WordPress

Includes these fantastic features!

Simple single-level content protection
Tiered membership for developing multiple access levels
Category-based membership for limiting access based on topic
Dripped content setup for time released content access
Setup wizard to simplify the most advanced configurations
Automated pages setup with simple permalink reconfiguration options
Offer limited time free trials
Integrated coupon system
Fully extensible with add-ons
Maintain speed and flexibility – activate only the features you need
Manual post-by-post protection options
Complex media access and download protection
Hide specific content in a post or page with shortcode protection
Complete BuddyPress and bbPress integration
Mailchimp API integration for automated mailing list management
Includes 5 payment gatways – PayPal Single, PayPal Standard, Authorize.net, manual payment options and Stripe
Front end account invoicing and billing history
Smart user management – both automated and manual subscription control
Global currency toggle
Custom protected content messages
Automated email responder

Grab your copy here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/protected-content/

If you find any bugs, please open a new ticket here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/#question so we can track and provide support.

Thanks all for being fantastic members and enjoy the plugin! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Just for clarification, we won't be discontinuing membership, membership still has some specific features such as access levels that make it unique. :slight_smile:

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there SteveB,

This would be used instead of the Membership plugin, we're actually going to be working on a importer to move across a members settings from Membership to this. :slight_smile:

No ETA though on that currently.

Of course you can still use Membership plugin, but Protected content has a ton of features over Membership and a superb new UI and UX. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• pxwm

Hi @Timothy Bowers

I appreciate you may not be able to share what xmas pressies we are getting this year :slight_smile:.

However, we are currently evaluating Wordpress plugins for a recruitment agency client so we require a full blown recruitment/job board plugin and wanted to check if you are working on such a plugin or do you think we could use the recently released Jobs & Experts plugin?

Regards
    SteveB

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Arom77,

Hope you're well today! :slight_smile:

Yes, this is a new and improved version of membership (a complete re-write) and massively improved.

Within the next year (a year in time, not by December). Membership will be retired, but don't worry we aren't going to leave anyone hanging, we'll be working on a importer, to import your existing users, subscriptions and setup into the Protected Content plugin.

We won't be retiring Membership until we have that ready and fully working.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
      Jack.

• chris

Hi Jack,

That's useful. I shall switch over to Protected Content.

Three more quick checks...

1. Will it work with Marketpress and Woocommerce Products out the box? (I can't see any reason why not!)
    2. I see menus can be restricted - Does this mean a different main menu can be shown to Visitors and Members of different roles?
    3. Can visibility of a specific widget be limited to a particular membership role?

(For 2 and 3 above I have previously used Wordpress Access Control. I would like to disable it if it is not needed anymore)

Thanks again
    Chris

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Chris,

1. Will it work with Marketpress and Woocommerce Products out the box? (I can't see any reason why not!)

What sort of protection are you needing?

If it's to protect a product page then sure, you can do that, in fact you can protect any post type. :slight_smile:

You can also use URL Group protection for a specific url.

2. I see menus can be restricted - Does this mean a different main menu can be shown to Visitors and Members of different roles?

You can protect items of a menu, so you can use one menu and then select which items on that menu you want to protect.

3. Can visibility of a specific widget be limited to a particular membership role?

We're hoping to get this in the next version, however there is no eta for this just yet. It will be coming though :slight_smile:

That said, if you need it now and you don't mind a little coding you could create separate sidebar areas and protect them with a shortcode through do_shortcode(). If you need help with this then please feel free to open a support ticket and we'll gladly help further :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Jenni McKinnon

Sounds awesome! I tested this plugin today, and noticed a few HUGE features that the Membership plugin has, that the Protected Content plugin does not & it would literally ruin everything I'm doing if they're not included:

Being able to set a finite access level, with another access level after the first one expires, and similar ideas. Ex. I have a subscription set where the first access level is a certain amount, then when the time on it expires, the user is moved to the next access level on the list. I offer courses with lifetime access, so I need to be able to charge a user a one-off fee (the first access level), and then they are moved to another access level where it is free, so they are not charged again (unlike a recurring subscription). This also allows me to take multiple payments rather than a one time cost so that a user can choose to make their payments in instalments.

I noticed the date range feature for the drip content membership, which would work great, except I cannot grant them access to another kind of membership after the date range is over.

I also offer a free membership level, while simultaneously offering courses, so I don't know if that's possible for the Protected Content plugin, but it's also something I need as well.

After a subscription is over, the only option is to restrict the content ... there is no option to revert them to a free plan, or another subscription (that I saw). This is helpful for me because after the courses are over, I need to restrict access to the part of the course where they are able to ask questions, so allowing the user to automatically move to another subscription (that has these restrictions) is crucial for me.

In other words, being able to use the drip and category-based subscriptions at the same time. I guess I could have just said this first, but hopefully now you understand why I need this feature.

The Courses Pro plugin will not work for me because I run my courses once a year, retire them, then bring them back the following year. I do this because I offer full support during the course's duration, and do not have the time to be answering a million questions for a course list that is continually growing. Plus, it creates hype for when the course comes around again.

The Membership plugin also allows you to restrict or allow access to certain plugins. I don't really need this option, but I'm just mentioning it because I noticed it and that might be important for some people. But I suppose that's what the Pro Sites plugin is for, although, I'm not sure if the Protected Content and Pro Sites plugins integrate with each other.

Anyway, I hope I didn't sound too harsh. This is just SUPER DUPER important to me and I wouldn't be able to live without the Membership plugin with these particular features.

It would make me really, really happy to know that you will be adding these features before retiring the Membership plugin; otherwise I will save a million backup copies of the membership plugin and never switch over to the Protected Content plugin (even though it's super easy to use, and has a clean interface). That's how important this is to me.

Maybe these features are already included and I just missed it all big time, in which case, I'm sorry for this huge message, and let me know if this is the case. :slight_smile:

Both plugins are super awesome, so hopefully in the end, I won't have any issues switching over, especially because I really like the improvements in the Protected Content plugin.

Thanks so much!

• Ali

This is great! Kudos!
    I was just about to setup memberships plugin for a community but I will give Protected Content a go.

Just some concerns (which I could not find via search):

- How does this integrate with other WPMUDev's plugins, such as Events+ because I saw a post that had a checkbox in events+ to integrate with memberships plugin. Would that still work with Protected Content?

- Since WPMUDev does not offer Member Profile plugin, I am forced to use 3rd party one. There are ALWAYS integration issues. I was wondering if Protected content had a feature (i could not find) to have new members automatically be enrolled in default membership?

- Negative feedback: Bad name choice. Could have called it Protect-My-Content or similar. Try looking for help for protected content and you are flooded with results of Membership plugin.

Besides that, great job! Interface looks good. I did have to do trial and error to figure things out. I kept looking for subscriptions after creating membership (habits from membership plugin :stuck_out_tongue:).

Cheers!

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Ali,

How does this integrate with other WPMUDev's plugins, such as Events+ because I saw a post that had a checkbox in events+ to integrate with memberships plugin. Would that still work with Protected Content?

Currently Membership would be the go to plugin for specific integrations, but we are looking at a advanced integration script and wrapper for not only our plugins but third party plugins too. :slight_smile:

Since WPMUDev does not offer Member Profile plugin, I am forced to use 3rd party one. There are ALWAYS integration issues. I was wondering if Protected content had a feature (i could not find) to have new members automatically be enrolled in default membership?

Protected content works great with BuddyPress! Maybe worth a try? :slight_smile:

Besides that, great job! Interface looks good. I did have to do trial and error to figure things out. I kept looking for subscriptions after creating membership (habits from membership plugin :stuck_out_tongue:).

Glad you like it! Thanks for your feedback and any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
      Jack.

• Keith

Hi. Just wanted to ask a simple question in comparing Protected Content with Memberships - as I'm just developing a site on localhost, I've got the luxury of trying them both.
    In Memberships, we have the ability to create basically unrestricted auto-emails for all occasions, one of the reasons I selected Memberships in the first place. It appears this functionality is missing from Protected Content - is this correct or have I missed something?

Cheers.

• Hakonzen

Hi Jack!
    The new plugin looks great and much more intuitive than the old Membership plugin, great work!

Got a question.
    I am using Appointments+ & Events+ and got this message in my dashboard: "You'll need Membership plugin installed and activated for Membership integration add-on to work" I installed the new Protected Content and removed the old Membership plugin (wich was not enabled yet anyways) hoping the message would go away. and I`m not sure wich plugin´s causing this message?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @Jenni McKinnon,

Being able to set a finite access level, with another access level after the first one expires, and similar ideas. Ex. I have a subscription set where the first access level is a certain amount, then when the time on it expires, the user is moved to the next access level on the list. I offer courses with lifetime access, so I need to be able to charge a user a one-off fee (the first access level), and then they are moved to another access level where it is free, so they are not charged again (unlike a recurring subscription). This also allows me to take multiple payments rather than a one time cost so that a user can choose to make their payments in instalments.

Definitely a interesting point and one we are looking at, the plugin does include permanent access memberships, but this wouldn't allow for split payments.

We're looking at adding the ability that once the membership has ended move them to a different membership, so once we've added that, it should allow it to work as you need. :slight_smile:

I also offer a free membership level, while simultaneously offering courses, so I don't know if that's possible for the Protected Content plugin, but it's also something I need as well.

Definitely, we support free memberships out of the box, you can choose any membership type and set it to 0.00. it even offers specific email templates for free members.

The Membership plugin also allows you to restrict or allow access to certain plugins. I don't really need this option, but I'm just mentioning it because I noticed it and that might be important for some people. But I suppose that's what the Pro Sites plugin is for, although, I'm not sure if the Protected Content and Pro Sites plugins integrate with each other.

This would be something for Pro sites to handle on a multisite instance, though integration would be cool! :slight_smile:

It would make me really, really happy to know that you will be adding these features before retiring the Membership plugin; otherwise I will save a million backup copies of the membership plugin and never switch over to the Protected Content plugin (even though it's super easy to use, and has a clean interface). That's how important this is to me.

Don't worry! I've clarified in my original post, but we won't actually be retiring the membership plugin, it still is a powerful tool for creating membership based sites and has unique features you won't find anywhere else! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Killian

Hi,

I just installed Protected Content on my site and it doesn't seem to work as advertised for BuddyPress. Under pages I have Groups, Members, and Activity all protected but when I visit any of those pages (or sub-URL's such as members/USERID/profile) I can still see the BuddyPress pages. To test the plugin I protected a regular wordpress page and was redirected to the protected login page. The only reason I've purchased this plugin is to make my BuddyPress content private. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!