Protected Content with Guest Access Code?

Hey, another goodie from me, the troublemaker lol.

I have a project and I'm on the hunt for something and I don't even know what key words/terms to use to hopefully find it.

I have a site where I need multiple levels of user access. For example:

ADMINISTRATOR (me)
- Provider (my client) (lesser admin, can give access to clients below)
-- Provider's Clients (user accounts)
--- Client's Prospects (guests who can see specific content only, no account)

What I'm asking about in this post specifically is for the client's prospects (i.e. guests). I want the "client" level to be able to pass a "guest code" to their prospects (guests) that is NOT an account login, just an unlock code or something. The "Client" level has an account login, but the Guest/Prospect level has just an access code or some such. I keep calling it a Guest Code in my head, but I've no idea what to look for. It would be the same code they pass to all their guests, the security of it isn't super important, just that it's a passcode of some sort. Oh and I'd like to be able to track analytics on how many times its used under the correct client level account for their credit.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

• Vaughan

Hi Tracy,

Hope you're well?

The password protect plugin can do some of this.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/password-protect-selected-content/

However, it will require a password for all users regardless.

The membership 2 plugin has a lot more options available where you can have different membership types which you can then use to protect content so only those levels can view it. However, none of those options will ask for a password for guests/visitors.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/

I've been looking and can't find anything that offers the full features you ask.

but with a bit of playing around using both the password protect plugin & membership 2 plugin, we can get what you want, though it would mean creating the content twice on the page.

You can protect with shortcodes

[ms-protect-content id="945" access="no" silent="yes"]
    [protect password="test"]
    Test content
    [/protect]
    [/ms-protect-content]

In this example, members who aren't in membership group with ID 945 will receive a password prompt to view the content.

So then you then need to add the content again, except this time you just allow members to view it

[ms-protect-content id="945"]
    Test content
    [/ms-protect-content]

You see the same content, but no password protect shortcodes.

So on your page it would look like;

[ms-protect-content id="945" access="no" silent="yes"]
    [protect password="test"]
    Test content
    [/protect]
    [/ms-protect-content]
    [ms-protect-content id="945" access="yes" silent="yes"]
    Test content
    [/ms-protect-content]

In the above case, logged out visitors will be prompted for a password, normal members in the referenced membership level will see the content and not be asked for a password.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.