Protecting amazons3 videos

Hello

Does anyone know if this plugin would be needed if I want to protect my amazonS3 videos from hotlinking, security and other features, or is this already available in WPMUDEV? http://www.cdnvault.com/

Dustin

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

How are you passing the URL's of your videos? With Amazon s3 you can create a URL that expires after a certain amount of time - if you include the code on your site so that it generates time limited urls, then anyone copying them for their own sites will get a non functioning URL after a certain amount of time (e.g. 5 minutes).

I put a shortcode for expiring links together a while ago, I'll track it down and see if I can post it up here as it may be some use, or at least something to base a solution on.

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Dustin,

Any idea how EasyVideo player can be used in WPMU sites, so that only users of my network can use the player?

Do you mean so that users can watch?
    Or
    Do you mean that users (site admins) can add their own videos?

How easyvideo player works.

You install it on a subdomain video.domain.com with its own database and you install the wordpress plugin that comes with easyvideo. When you create posts you can now add video into the post like any image. Basically, you can add video anywhere on the web, you can also restrict video access to your domain(s) (video will only play on your white listed domains).

Like I said. It really is a beast - very advanced piece of software.
    It is its own video management system and can have multiple user accounts. In fact when you purchase the software you have the option to install it yourself, or create an account with their installed version.
    It's not for everyone, but everyone can benifit from it.
    But like I said - comes with a price tag... :wink:

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

Jonathan

I am going to try the easy player to get a better idea of what is possible. I am hoping what I can do is use it as a value added tool to get people to join my network. What I want to find out is if I can set it up for the users so that they don't have to do much work.

Dustin

• Jonathan

@Dustin,

Remember that easyvideoplayer lives and works outside of wordpress - so the management of videos will happen outside of wordpress. Yes, they have a plugin which inserts video, but management is not performed in wordpress.

Make sense - I know I'm stressing this, but I don't want you to confuse that point. That said, it does come with a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee - and I'm sure it would be a nice selling point.

Sidenote: I see you have swayed from your original idea of protecting videos from users to allowing users to manage videos? I also see you've got a number of threads open, and you seem to be jumping around a lot from one thing to the next. Nothing wrong with this. I always say think it out before implementing, but when implementing. Start small and scale up :wink:

• dustin
    • The Crimson Coder

Jonathan

The business model I am working on will be a platform for teachers/consultants/trainers to provide their education online and to build their learning network. It will use the basic idea of Edublogs, but with more, such as features that Kajabi has.

So making it easy for them to get their videos online and protected would be a strong selling point.

I know AmazonS3 can be used on its own, without easyvideoplayer, but I want to check it out to see how much easier it makes it.

So security is one issue.
    Ease of use is another.

My business model will have a subscription as well as a consulting side. So I could setup the client's videos as a consulting project, rather than making everything the responsibility of the user to set up.

Dustin

• Jonathan

@Dustin,

Sounds like a great idea. I see a need for your offering, and a huge gap in the market. I tried Kajabi when it came out and was very disappointed. I know a few folks who say it has come leaps and bounds since then, so if you are hitting those sort of features - then Woot! you're on the right track :wink:

As for video: easvideoplayer is sounding more and more like a match for you. Intergrates with s3, has some nifty security features, and is pretty easy to use.

The consulting side is a great place to be. You could host/manage/etc the clients site(s) at a nice $$$. Wordpress Network and domain mapping and a supercharged server will make your whole idea Prrrr! :wink:

Good Luck, and all the best.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.