Protecting individual posts but letting visitors see thumbnails in category listing

Hi, awesome plug-in!

My site is all video, I'm wondering if there is a way to unhide a couple of items for guests. Keeping individual posts protected is all I'm trying to do, and protected content nearly does everything I need.

When a visitor goes to a "Channel" (Category page) the posts show up in a Carousel at the top, which is great, but the video "grid" that I've set up for all of the videos is hidden until someone registers. I'd like visitors to be able to see all of the videos but subscribe before they can actually play them. "Recent Posts" is also hidden for visitors on the homepage. For whatever reason if I grab categories and display thumbnails in smart content boxes on the homepage, visitors can see them, and the Carousel shows up for visitors on the Category pages, so I'm hoping there's a way around this!

I've included two screenshots. Thanks!
Tim

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tim,

Hope you're doing well today!

Do those videos play on the same page or does it take you to a new page? I'm thinking you could unprotect that page then protect the individual pages so they can't actually play them. Kind of tough to tell what the setup is though, would you mind granting support access? Then we can take a closer look and perhaps come up with a workaround here :slight_smile:

You can grant support access via admin dashboard - WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access > Grant Access.

Look forward to hearing back!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tim,

I suck :slight_frown: can't believe I missed your notification again, sorry about that. We may be in luck though - our developer just recently released an update that fixes a bug to do with category protection inadvertently protected other areas. I'm wondering if that was the issue here, sounds like it might have been.

Can you update to 1.1.1.4 and see if the problem is still happening for you? If not, then if you could re-grant access that would be awesome. You could even just email access directly to me through our contact form if you like:

Private contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me :slight_smile:

Send in:

Subject: "Attn: Tyler Postle"
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Tyler Postle

Hey Tim,

When you say smart content boxes, are you using a visual editor plugin? I'm wondering if that might be causing a conflict here. We have another update out that fixes a few more issues too, so if you could update to that and check again, hopefully is resolves the issue. I'm actually thinking that it might just be the way the content protection is setup. Unfortunately, I keep missing the support access :slight_frown: lol

Just so you know we are adding a feature for ourselves to the forums that highlights threads with support access in our support feeds - so we can jump ahead if needed to make sure the access doesn't expire. Asking for access 4 times in a row is a new record for me though - not a good record to have.

Would you mind just sending it through the contact form like I posted above? Sorry about that. It's not so the access is longer, but just so it's separated from the normal feed :slight_smile: you can even just re-grant access and then send anything through the contact form - just as a double notification to me.

I work weekends so I'll be on a lot over the next 3 days. We'll get this sorted out for ya.

Talk to you soon!

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.