Protection of media files (images) doesn't work for me

I’m creating a gallery of images. One particular feature I’d really like to use is protecting the media files, i.e. the images so that they are masked and nobody can reach their actual directory (for example, instead of /wp-content/uploads/building.jpg one can only see, say, /img/457495739730.jpg).

I’ve configured Downloads/Media according to documentation, leaving Protected groups set to “default” as I want all my images to be protected. Then in the corresponding media settings I specify this protected group to all my images. Finally, I drop the “Downloads” item to the positive rules in all access levels. But when I open the site, all images are still linked to the wp-content/uploads directory, so everybody can see the original location, which is not what I would expect. Please guide me what I’m doing wrong, I really need to resolve this issue. Thanks, Rene.

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @renp

Welcome to the forums!

It looks like you have set everything up right. But the way the system works needs a bit of clarification, I think.

The Downloads/Media settings allow you to prevent access to your media by unauthorized users, just like any other protected content on your site. If a user is not on a subscription with the appropriate access level, he/she will not have access to view/download your media.

Anything you add to positive rules for an access level means that the user on that access level has access to it. Adding downloads/media to a positive rule on an access level grants access to view/download your media.

What I think you’re after is a way to mask the actual location of your media regardless of whether the user has access to view it or not, correct?

I’ll see if I can get the plugin developer in here to shed some light on this. Hang on…

In the meantime, you may want to consider some alternatives…

You could prevent hotlinking : http://www.wordpresslover.com/disable-hotlinking-using-htaccess-for-wordpress-sites

Or you could watermark your images: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search.php?q=watermark&sort=

Hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.