Pull full content

Hi there, is there a way to pull full content from the rss source? I used to have a plugin for SE that used to do this and it was fantastic, but currently I can only get a few sentences and no images.

I would like to offer my users and visitors full on local news coverage with out having to leave my website?

I have added screen captures of my admin area maybe i am missing something?

• jersey_peeps
    • Flash Drive

Sorry but I have tried that already I thought this script was meant to do this? Is the script dev not available to support this script?

All this script does so far is pull snippets, in the past I have used scripts in other social scripts ie social engine that pull all content inc pictures.

This one states to do the same thing but so far it does very limited service :slight_frown: Not what I was expecting from the description. Perhaps I state again I have not set the script correctly?

• jersey_peeps
    • Flash Drive

OK I take support for this issue is now non-existent? I have gone through every possible setting and none make a difference switched and changed and nothing makes it do what the description claims it does.

I have added one of th rss feeds here so you can test it yourselves, as mentioned in the past i have used scripts for the same rss feed which pulled the full content with images and not just a small description.

rss feed http://feeds.bbci.co.uk/news/world/europe/jersey/rss.xml

your autoblog pulls the titles in the feed but not the actual contents from the feed links.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

thanks for the link.

the feed you provided to bbci only contains the title & the 1st paragraph, which is why there isn't a full page of content. the feed provides the link to the full article on the bbc website itself.

i don't think BBC allow full content feeds on external site, they only allow excerpts to be used & want you to visit their site for the full articles.

hope this helps

• jersey_peeps
    • Flash Drive

Vaughan the BBC do allow this. When I was using the Social Engine script, a dev there had an rss feed importer that did the Job perfectly, it pulled the content from the links with no problems at all inc pictures.

I can see I currently have no other option but to revert back to this other Dev to see if they will create a plugin that does what i need.

• jersey_peeps
    • Flash Drive

Ok no idea if this can be done with this plugin, but I get the feeling the script dev i mentioned above may have had his set up to pull the feed like yours but then also pull 'the source' content.

I know for certain that with SE i was able to show the full info with pictures, naturally with a source link later. I need something like this to keep my visitors on site and not going off else where.

Any ideas if this can be done?

• vidar_gudjohnsen
    • New Recruit

I have the same problem. I thought the plugin would do this automatically as the description of the program gives that perception.

There is no use of the plugin if it only takes the title and the few paragraphs as very few RSS sites publish the full content.

• jersey_peeps
    • Flash Drive

Its been four days since I last left an update, it would seem support for this plugin is non-existent.

Can we users have an update on whether what we require can be done by your staff or not. Otherwise the subscription we are paying in really for nothing other than being able to post in your support forums.

Hope for some constructive feedback very soon.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

The plugin will import what is in the feed and *only * what is in the feed. If the feed only contains an excerpt then that is all the *feed* reader will see.

If you need the full content then you will need to contact the feed provider and ask them to supply this.

Sorry, but we can only import what is published.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hiya

sorry for the delay, I will flag the developer on this for his feedback, as I'm noticing other people with similar complaints. However I'm still of the opinion the plugin is doing what it's designed to do. however that interpretation maybe different to yours.

I have spoke with BBC media dept regarding RSS feeds on a previous occasion unrelated to WPMudev or wordpress at all, it was for another website who used feed agregation. the response from the BBC was that they only gave permission to use their feeds as they are provided, which is as an excerpt (yes you should seek permission to use a feed on your website), for the full article, the BBC like people to actually visit their website. however some sites do pull content via the source URL (which technically was against BBC guidelines on using their feeds). If they wanted full articles to be used, then they would put the full content in the feed itself, which they don't.

hopefully Barry will provide some feedback on this shortly.

thanks.

• jersey_peeps
    • Flash Drive

There is a way to do it as I had a similar set up on a social engine script. The rss imported most of the BBC page with any images as well. There was also I link to the original source so visitors could view the original news page. I will have to hunt down the script writer who did the script for social engine and see if they can do the same for buddypress.

If they can do it there will probably be a charge.

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

You can add an attribution link to the post in autoblog but it will still only import what is in the feed.

I'm sure it can be done, but it would involve the script finding the post URL, getting HTML from the site, parsing it to find the content and then importing that.

It would be very heavy for processing and be reliant on a site not changing structure too much.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

hiya

@jersey_peeps don't get me wrong, I understand what your needs & requirements are, But your requirements go way beyond what RSS agregation actually is. You are not talking about RSS reading. you are talking about full page parsing which is something completely different to RSS. That is the reason that i stated the plugin is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, that is pulling & displaying content from an RSS feed, in this case only the summary is available in that feed, so Autoblog can only display that summary. it is working correctly.

thanks

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

I'm closing this thread due to it's inactivity, however I would like to indicate my personal opinion regarding the issue raised in this thread. Please note this does not necessarily represent the opinion of WPMU DEV as a company.

WPMU DEV do not advertise that the plugin will scrape websites for content they have not published in there RSS feed. Scraping is a black hat content gathering technique and has questionable legality. I know for a fact that the BBC specifically ban scraping from their website in their terms of service, as do many other publishers. Extracting more information than is contained in their RSS feed could hold WPMU DEV, as the plugin developer, liable for charges of "trespass to chattels". For this reason it is highly unlikely that WPMU DEV would implement this method into the plugin. Other plugins or services may offer this feature, however their own developers must take responsibility for any legal issues that may arise as a result.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.