Push Updates from Master Blog to all blogs using that template

Hi,

Is there anyway to have the master template push any changes/updates to all of the blogs utilizing the master template/blog? For example, lets say I update the "About Us" page text on the master template. I want it to update on all of the blogs in the WP MU that are setup to use that template.

Thank you,

SW

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Stevewest15

Welcome to the WPMU DEV Community and thank you for using the New Blog Templates Plugin.

I am completely new to this Plugin, but I've set up a test environment quickly and noticed that when I'm in the Network Admin » Settings » Blog Templates » Create New Blog Template Options Page, below the Advanced Option is this note:

Please note that this will turn the blog you are currently logged in to - http://www.yourwebsite.com - into a template blog. Any changes you make to this blog will change the template, as well! We recommend creating specific "Template Blogs" for this purpose, so you don't accidentally add new settings, content, or users that you don't want in your template.

This means that if you would like to create a dedicated template blog for this template, please http://www.yourwebsite.com/wp-admin/ms-sites.php create a new blog and then visit this page when you are logged in to the backend of that blog to create the template.

So I do believe that if you set up your Blog Template correctly any changes that you make to that Template will automatically update to the rest of the sites.

I hope that this was helpful. I will resolve this thread, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

And if you require any further assistance with any other topic/ plugin, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Have a good day!

Gina :: Multiplicity
    Trying out as WPMU DEV Support Staff - Let me know how I go

• stevewest15

Hi Gina,

Thank you for replying back to my question!

I've been playing w/ that plugin extensively but the one thing I can't figure out is how to get it to actually update the WP content from the master template to all blogs that are utilizing it. For example if I add new pages and new text in the master template, I want it to add these pages/text to all existing blogs that are using the blog template.

Best Regards,

SW

• Mason

Hiya folks,

Just a slight mixup here, but let me confirm that the New Blog Template does NOT have any link to the sub-sites other than during site creation. After that, they're completely independent.

That's by design and creating a continuous 'link' between them to keep them in sync isn't something we're considering for this plugin.

That being said, if you want a bit of information to be the same across all a particular set of sub-sites and you want to be able to change the information across all sites easily, I'd recommend just hard-coding it into your theme.

For example if 'About Us' was part of a specific page template (or any of it's contents). Then it would be a simple matter of changing it once in the theme and all sub-sites with that theme activated will get the change. This will also prevent sub-sites from changing the information on their own.

Hope this helps and apologies for any confusion! Thanks!

• rozani

Hi stevewest15,

From what I understand, you trying to say some sort of nav menu of any theme to display a default page to About Us that contains the same content from your master network.
    However the content will have a change in style for different theme used for every user.
    I think is hard to accomplish.

However, if making a plugin something like to add link to nav menu or someplace like footer to mention your link "About Us" which direct goes to your master page About Us.

I think I saw this plugin before in WPMUDev for putting links in footer. I think is Admin Footer Text. However it is for the dashboard only.

I think if better to utilize this plugin into something else like the About Us link floating on every user blog just like the tumblr share button. I suggest the admin can only set this plugin for every blog but the user cannot see or disable this plugin.
    I been thinking like adding something else like Upgrade button also. The upgrade link will disappear after purchase upgrade.

Rozani

• Mason

Do you want the content to be editable by the user? If so, use the New Blog Templates plugin.

If you don't want it editable, then just hardcode a link to the about page within the theme's navigation in the template. Then, create a new copy of your theme's page.php. rename it to page-about-us.php for example if you're page slug is 'about us'.

From there look for a call to the_content() or possibly get_template_part. Basically, wherever the template is asking for WordPress content. Remove that function and replace it with the text you wish to use.

Hope that helps.

Thanks!

• aecnu

Greetings SW,

Just checking in because it has been some time since we have heard from you regarding the issues of this ticket.

Have you managed to get this resolved on your own? In Live chat? Or some other way?

If so cheers and no need to reply.

As a housekeeping measure I am going to mark this ticket as resolved. However, if you are still having issues or questions relative to this thread please feel free to mark this ticket as unresolved by placing a check mark in the box below being sure to include any new errors or updates on symptoms.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.