Pushing Theme Updates Outside of WordPress.Org?

Is there a way to push theme updates to themes that are not hosted on the WordPress.org theme library?

Within our WordPress multisite network i've a parent theme that is used with multiple child themes and would like to do some updates to it and they send them via the admin.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello uol

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm not sure what are you asking about:

- is it that you got some custom themes/child themes that you currently have to update "manually" (upload via admin) and you would like to host theme "somewhere" not on wp.org and make it possible to update them automatically on sites whenever new version shows up?

- or you do have some 3rd party themes that are already hosted somewhere outside wp.org but they do not update e.g. if you update site(s) via Automate/The Hub?

I might be missing some possible scenario so could you please elaborate a bit more on this? I'll be then happy to assist you with this so we could find a solution that best suits your needs :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi uol

Thanks for explanation!

There's a nice library for that that you can integrate with your plugins and themes (it works with both).

The cool thing about it is that once you do this, in order to push updates to all the sites that are using your plugins/themes, you only need to update plugin/theme on your server (where you're hosting it) and update information in the JSON file there.

Then all the sites that are using these plugins/themes will detect the update and from site admin perspective, it's just like updating any other WP theme/plugin.

Take a look here:
    https://github.com/YahnisElsts/plugin-update-checker

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.