Pushover & Membership site

Hi,

We provide an information based membership serviced website. This entails daily updates to a couple of pages inside the restricted members area. It is based on the Paid Membership Pro plaform

Currently we are emailing members every time that there is an update to the information. However, this still means some members occasionally miss an email or forget to log in to collect the information.

We are looking for a solution that can either send a push type notification to the member either through a desktop widget/client or a mobile push notification (Android/iphone).

Any recommendations on what would be the easiest solution for this? We'd rather use existing technology than have to create our own from scratch such as an app...

We have started looking at Pushover.net to try and work out if this would do what we need? Anyone experienced with this and can say if it should be able to do what we want? or any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Jon

• Tyler Postle

Hey Jon,

Hope you're doing well today!

I haven't seen a plugin ready solution for this; however, that pushover.net option does look promising. Our Membership plugin has a remote ping feature where you could probably add a ping for something like that; however, it would require custom development still as you would need to create a new conditional for when the ping gets sent out.

I'm not too familiar with Paid Memberships Pro, so you may want to ask their support area too if something like that would be do-able.

Most of the solutions we have would be email based. I would recommend your users setup a filter for the email you send, so it gets filtered out and more noticeable. The ones that are missing it anyway. I know that's not much of a solution, but that's what I do with my emails I don't want to miss :p

What sort of information is it that you want to notify them about? Is it like new posts?

Look forward to hearing back!

All the best,
    Tyler

PS. I know you're using Paid Memberships Pro already, but just wanted to mention we have recently released a big update to Protected Content that includes the ability to protect content based on user role, apply user roles to new signups according to membership, and even apply specific capabilities to new users on sign up. In-case any of that interest you.

• Attrition

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I found this WP plugin - https://wordpress.org/plugins/pushover-notifications/ - but requires you creating an application on Pushover. Thought i'd done it but not working yet. It also may only work with 'new' posts, rather than 'updated' pages - i hope not but my fear is that will be the case.

I've noticed as well that Pushover now has a subscription element - http://updates.pushover.net/post/108648717687/announcing-pushover-notification-subscriptions - so it does look like there might be a way, somehow. Might be beyond my technical capabilities though.

To your question - yes, we want to notify them of an update to to page. We also suggest filters on emails, thanks for that, but it seems the IPS email clients are slowing or not even sending certain emails to followers at different times - often our information is time sensitive so this inconsistency does cause problems.

Thanks
    Jon

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.