Putting global posts on a subsite?

Greetings! In another thread I was informed that the recent global posts widget doesn't work with subsites. How can I display posts from my main site onto a subsite?

I've come across yet another instance where shortcodes would seem perfect for displaying blog posts. Are shortcodes possible with blog posts in upfront?

Just to simplify...
I'm looking to display blog posts from the network (main site only) on a subsite with different display filters (ie by category, tag, publishing date, etc.)

I hope you can help!

Much Love
Ciro Bey

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Ciro

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

By default Recent Global Posts widget is available for your mainsite. But you could enable it for your other subsites on network.

You can enable it for all sites on your network as follows:

1. Open up the wp-config.php in the root of your WordPress install

2. Just before the line that says That’s all, stop editing!, add the following:

define('RECENT_GLOBAL_POSTS_WIDGET_MAIN_BLOG_ONLY', false);
    3. Save and re-upload your amended wp-config.php file

As mentioned in project usage page.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/recent-global-posts-widget/#product-usage

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Ciro Bey
    • WordPress Warrior

@Sajid Greetings!

Apologies for the delay on this one here.

I've managed to add the widget to the subsite (screenshot 1).

Am I able to make the widget look like the way I've made the posts element look in screenshot 2?

And once that is accomplished, I was given a recommendation for a plugin here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/best-way-to-blog-on-a-shared-multisite ...

...that will allow me to add the widget as a shortcode. This way I'll be able to add the posts into the content section of the tabs element.

I hope this is clear for you! As I mentioned (in another post) I'd like to display the blog posts from the main site on the subsite just like the native posts element does (in this case how I've made it look in screenshot 2). I'd like to be able to display different posts via categories/tags on different parts of the site as well. It almost makes sense to just use the posts element with some way to add the global posts... maybe a feature request?

I hope you enjoy your day/evening/night!

Much Love
    Ciro

• Sajid
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hi @Ciro

Hope you are doing good today :slight_smile:

Recent Global Posts does not display featured image by default. But we have a post in which a member needed same functionality and end up with some custom code.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/featured-image-in-global-posts

You can achieve that affect but you have to customize the look & feel according to your requirements with custom CSS.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.