Q & A plugin - Customization

Next Q & A plugin question about customization.

The documentation says:
Customization options
Optionally, you can further customize the appearance of the Q&A section, to better integrate it with your theme.
To do so, simply copy the php files from default-templates into your theme folder and start customizing.

- In a multi-site theme, wouldn't that affect everyone using that particular theme? Also, users of sub-sites could not do this. (or am I reading this wrong?) OK, I did that and nothing changed on the site that works.
- " ... and start customizing." I would need to understand which templates are accessed with each command. The only access link mentioned in the docs is the .../questions/ask/ link. Looking at the WPMU.org page looks like there should be several more to put into a custom menu.
- When going to .../questions/ask/ where is this page? How is this generated? I do not see a folder or page(s) called this.

Maybe I don't understand all I need to know about multi-site Wordpress ...

Thanks in advance for the help.

• DavidM

Hi TerryG,

Let's take a look at your inquiries!

- In a multi-site theme, wouldn't that affect everyone using that particular theme? Also, users of sub-sites could not do this. (or am I reading this wrong?) OK, I did that and nothing changed on the site that works.

Yes, actually. The customization would affect every use of that particular theme. You could, however, create child themes and provide various customizations using them. Here's a great explanation on the parent/child theme model from the online manuals here.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/the-buddypress-manual/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/

- " ... and start customizing." I would need to understand which templates are accessed with each command. The only access link mentioned in the docs is the .../questions/ask/ link. Looking at the WPMU.org page looks like there should be several more to put into a custom menu.

You can actually create links directly to the various sections as you like. On WPMU.org I believe they're simply hard-coded links, like wpmu.org/questions/ or wpmu.org/questions/unanswered/.

As far as the template files, the names signify which handles which function.
    ask-question.php - the "ask" page at /questions/ask/
    edit-question.php - the edit page for questions
    single-question.php - the single question page listing
    edit-answer.php - the answer editing section
    user-question.php - the user profile section
    archive-question.php - the master list of questions

- When going to .../questions/ask/ where is this page? How is this generated? I do not see a folder or page(s) called this.

It's essentially a "virtual" page, a rewrite rule that points to the ask-question.php template. So to customize that, you'd simply customize that template file.

Cheers,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.