Q & A plugin notifications

In the Q & A plugin you have the option to be notified when someone replies to to a question. You do this by opting in for this while viewing individual questions. My question is how to extend this feature. For example, can I let my users create a filter of keywords and have the site email them every time a question that has a tag that matches one of their keywords gets asked? Essentially I want to create a system where it will be easy for people to know when questions they are interested in are asked. Thanks!

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @pencilking2002, I hope you’re well today!

Essentially I want to create a system where it will be easy for people to know when questions they are interested in are asked

Unfortunately this is not currently possible out-of-the-box.

I looked around and couldn’t find any plugins that would do what you require…

I’m afraid you’d have to custom-code this one. You can post a new job at the WPMU Jobs board so that a skilled developer familiar with Q&A can create a custom plugin for you.

I hope that helps…

Cheers,

Ari.

• pencilking2002
    • Flash Drive

Hi Aristath. I am currently working on the plugin. I have made a lot of headway and I am about 80% done with it. Right now I am figuring out what is the best way to deliver emails with wp_cron so that it doesn’t crash the person’s site if they have a lot of users. I will put up a link as soon as I am done.

Any insights on this topic would be welcome.

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello again @pencilking2002!

Unfortunately the plugin developer is away and won’t be back for another week!

So he won’t be able to collaborate on this until then!

It’s safe to assume that it can be adapted afterwards!

In the meantime, I just sent you some rep points for all the hard work!

Whenever it’s ready I’d love to give it a test-drive!

Cheers,

Ari.

• pencilking2002
    • Flash Drive

Ok the first version of the plugin is done. It’s a little bare bones right now. I haven’t been able to get html links to show up in the email that is delivered at all. Would you like to test it and give me feedback? Right now the plugin is set to deliver emails every 30 seconds so that you don’t have to wait a week to see if you got any emails.

If you want to help me test. Here’s what you do.

1) Install the plugin

2) Turn it on(the plugin settings page is under the “Questions” menu item and its called “Q&A Notifications”

3) Ask a question on the site and attach one or more tags to it

4) Go to your BuddyPress profile page(on the front end of the site) and pick one or more “interests”. These interests correspond to any Question tags that you have on the site.

5) Check your email. It may take a minute or two since WordPress Cron sucks :slight_frown:

6) It may end up in your spam folder. So check there too.

Thanks!

Remember, you need both BuddyPress and Q&A installed in order for the plugin to work.

Here is the link http://cl.ly/3r1K2e1i3r1l

• aristath
    • Recruit

What do you mean by “Batch Sending”?

Well, suppose your site is REALLY busy!!

And suppose that every minute your plugin has to send 1 email every minute or so…

Instead of sending them one by one, the emails are added to a queue and sent all at once when cron runs. It’s more effective this way…

• pencilking2002
    • Flash Drive

Ah I see. Yes, that’s how I designed it. The version I gave you sends emails out every 30 sec so that you didn’t have to wait 7 days to see if it worked.

This approach sucks too though, because lets say I have 5,000 users that I need to send out emails to. The PHP script will surely time out :slight_frown:

If you could ask one of your devs about a better solution, that would help :slight_smile:

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

In the Q & A plugin you have the option to be notified when someone replies to to a question. You do this by opting in for this while viewing individual questions.

I think you missed that there is a checkbox “Get e-mail notifications about new questions ” in profile page of each user. I think it is self explanatory.

But of course your plugin (or addon) is more extensive as it lets question tags to be selected too. But I think that once a week is too long for general use, although it may be suitable for your website.

I just had a quick look in the codes and it seems ok.

Nice work.

Cheers,

Hakan

• pencilking2002
    • Flash Drive

Ohhhh I just found it in the backend in admin. I have to disagree with the self explanatory thing though. Users will never find that, especially since Q&A focuses on front end portion of the site for users. Wish I knew that great feature existed before! Perhaps it would make sense to bring it to the front-end buddypress profile.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.