Q & A plugin – Permission Denied Error

Hello All. First time poster, long time WordPress user.

Surprised I don’t see any messages about the Q & A plugin here. Maybe I’m the only one trying to use it?

Trying to get the Q & A plugin to work with mixed results. I’ve gotta say that the documentation seems incomplete to me and also could use some clarification. Prepare to be bombarded with questions about this plugin.

We would like to have it installed on the main blog of our multi-site setup. We’re using the bp-community theme. Following the installation instructions we try to go to …/questions/ask/ to fill in our first question (Why do we need to do this when there is a Question interface in the backend?). We get this error:

Permission Denied

Not Found / No Access

The page you are looking for either does not exist, or you do not have the permissions to access it.

Tried it on one of our sub-sites and it works (except for the page content and formatting [more on that later] but at least we don’t get the error).

Why are we getting this error on our main blog site and how can we fix it?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi TerryG and welcome to WPMU DEV!

We’re always working at refining the documentation based on user feedback here so we’ll try and make adjustments based on your queries right away! :slight_smile:

Regarding the 404 “Not Found” page, on that particular site, could you try resetting your permalinks by doing the following?

1. Navigate to Settings > Permalinks

2. Select a setting other than what’s currently selected and press Save.

3. Then, select your preferred setting (anything other than default) and press Save once again.

Once that’s done, could you give the “ask” page a try again and let me know how that goes?

Thanks,

David

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya TerryG,

Given that the plugin works a sub-site (assuming this is a multisite), my best guess at this point is that there’s a plugin conflict of some sort perhaps.

Could you let me know which plugins you’ve active on the main site? Are there any different than on the sub-site? If there are, could you try deactivating those other plugins momentarily to test it out? Also, could you try switching to Twenty Ten during that?

Thanks,

David

• TerryG
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I turned off absolutely every plugin except the Q&A. Even Network Deactivated everything I could. Switched to the 2010 theme. Deleted all questions, all categories (except General), deleted all answers and question tags. I even deactivated this plugin for each of the other individual sites that we had it activated on.

Still no change.

Next, maybe try to totally uninstall the plugin? Ya know, I don’t see any obvious tables in the datase that this plugin might have created. What would they be called?

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hiya TerryG, thanks for your patience with this and thanks for having looked into those things. At this point, the only thing I can think to ask is what version of WordPress you’re on?

Also, just to check on this one, would you happen to be on an IIS server?

And just an odd thing that popped into my mind, could you maybe try creating a question in the back-end, publishing it, and see where it takes you when clicking the link after it’s published?

Thanks,

David

• TerryG

WordPress 3.1.3

Host = HostGator so no IIS.

Tried a bunch of other things as you suggested. Had 2 categories and only 2 questions in ONE of those categories. It was reporting 2 questions in each category. Deleted the original category, still get the error. Q&A still works in another site.

Also, my question above about what tables this plugin creates in the Database?

But I may have a clue. (I certainly now have a bigger problem too.) From the main page, we click on the “Blog” menu item (Blog Page). After getting to the Blog page we have a widget that displays the different categories. If you click on a Category, we get the same “Permission Denied, Page Not Found” error message. I tried deactivating the Q&A plugin but still get the Blog Category error.

This is on our Main site.

Now what?

• TerryG

Yep. Tried stripping everything down again too. The Category link problem concerned me even more. Started deleting plugins, themes, etc. Still couldn’t fix either problem. Not sure what caused this.

Solution (for us): Delete everything and start over. All better now …

Thanks.

• TerryG

Yep. Tried stripping everything down again too. The Category link problem concerned me even more. Started deleting plugins, themes, etc. Still couldn’t fix either problem. Not sure what caused this.

Solution (for us): Delete everything and start over. All better now …

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.