Q&A CSS: Theme Sidebar Overlaps the Q&A 'Ask a Question'

My Theme Sidebar Overlaps the Q&A 'Ask a Question'. You can see it at:

http://talkabouthim.freedomtechnologies.us/questions/ask/

We're not using child themes as I don't know how.

Ideas on where to start?

I tried adding width: 700px; and width: 300px; to qa-page-wrapper in general.css and to the theme's style sheet but it didn't help

• DavidM

Hi freedomtech,

Your theme appears to use the class "col center" for the contents but I'm not quite sure how the content's getting there. It does seem that Q&A isn't able to get the content inserted into that area.

Would you happen to know how your theme is adding WordPress content?

It might be that you would need to customize the plugin's template files by copying them from the qa/default-templates/ folder over into your theme folder. Those files are as follows:
    qa/default-templates/ask-question.php
    qa/default-templates/edit-question.php
    qa/default-templates/edit-answer.php
    qa/default-templates/user-question.php
    qa/default-templates/archive-question.php
    qa/default-templates/single-question.php

With that done, you can customize those individual templates according to where you want the elements to appear in your theme (likely within the "col center" area).

Also, it's a hack, but I noticed the following styling at least gets everything displayed on the page, though may through other theme elements off:

#qa-page-wrapper {
    position: absolute;
    left: 300px;
    }

.left { margin-left: 0px; }
    .right { float: right; }

You might be able to tweak that all with css but it does seem customization of the template files would be the optimal route.

Perhaps you could give the template files a go?

Cheers,
    David

• Mason

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.