Q&A Input Form Does not work

Installed the plugin, set up the minmal settings. I see "Q&A" in the BuddyPress member area.

Step three in the instructions says:

3. Visit http://yoursite.com/questions/ask/ to create your first question.

It does not work.

This link takes me to a page that shows:

BP Friends

[wppl form="1" form_only="y"]

[wppl_friends_results]

How do I get to the Question input form?

• Sahara

Ah! Here is a clue.

If I am logged in, I get the shortcode instead of the form.
    If I am NOT logged in, I get the form.

---------------------------------

OK. It is fixed.

I did not have the User Capabilities set properly.

Hey, Ari... Not to complain but... MuDEV needs better documentation for your plugins. I am spending way to much time trying to figure out things, when a simple user guide would have saved me a lot of time.

NOTE: The error I was getting still should NOT happen. If the user (me) has not setup the plugin properly -- the plugin should tell me so, and not just dump me with an unusable shortcode page, as I show above.

And... I really do appreciate your help.

• Sahara

Well, once again...

The plugin works in wide screen mode, but it is NOT responsive on iPhone.

How do I make this plugin responsive?
    My theme is fully responsive, and every other non-MuDEV plugin I have is responsive.

Ari -- am I going to have this problem with all of your plugins?

My site, like every new website, must be mobile friendly. I need everything to work on all platforms.

Help, I need your plugins for multisite, and membership, and all of it. And I need it all to be responsive.

What do I do? Must I test every plugin one by one to see which ones will work?

• Sahara

Well, Ari...

I cannot argue with you; my CSS skills are all self taught and lacking. I am not a pro coder. But I do have a CS degree and I understand code. I must defer to your knowledge.

However, My theme has all the necessary @media files, and it displays properly on all platforms I can find, and all my other plugins work just fine on all platforms.

It is only my MuDEV plugins that give me problems:
    * Custom Google Search
    * Directory
    * QandA

I have found and implemented other plugins that do these same functions, and they all work just fine in my theme on all platforms -- I did not have to change any CSS code to make them work.

I guess you are telling me that to use WPMUDEV plugins I will need to do my own CSS modifications to make them work on mobile devices. Perhaps I misunderstood what I signed up for. I thought you guys would take care handling these kinds of problems for your clients.

Frankly Ari, you have been very responsive to my requests, but still
    1. The Custom Google Search plugin does not work on my site
    2. The Directory plugin will not display properly on mobile devices, in my theme
    3. The Q&A plugin will not display properly on mobile devices, in my theme

My busines site must be viewable and functional on all mobile and full screen devices.

So far, I have no way of knowing what WPMUDEV plugins will work with my theme, except by installing and configuring them -- and this is very frustrating and time consuming. And so far, of the three I need, none work.

One day I will have a PHP/CSS programmer on staff -- but I thought that's what WPMUDEV promised to be.

So far, I am striking out with WPMUDEV...
    Yet, there are still some of your plugins that I need for my business. Can you tell me which ones will work (in my theme) for all platforms?

• aristath

However, My theme has all the necessary @media files, and it displays properly on all platforms I can find

Your theme does indeed have all that is needed to make it responsive. However, each plugin has its own css classes and sometimes a minimum amount of customization is required.

It is only my MuDEV plugins that give me problems:
    * Custom Google Search
    * Directory
    * QandA

The Custom Google Search issue was resolved in your other issue.

For the Q&A plugin:
    go to the plugin settings.
    delete the widths you have entered on the Usable Page Width (px), Q&A Content Width (px) and Sidebar Width (px).

Next, on the "Additional css Rules" textarea paste the following:
    #question-form textarea.wp32, #answer-form textarea.wp32{width: 99% !important;}
    All areas of the plugin I tested were responsive this way. If I missed something please tell me so that I may help you more on that.

As for the Directory plugin, can you post a link to a specific page that is not responsive?

I guess you are telling me that to use WPMUDEV plugins I will need to do my own CSS modifications to make them work on mobile devices. Perhaps I misunderstood what I signed up for. I thought you guys would take care handling these kinds of problems for your clients.

ANY plugin might require a minimum amount of css customization to match your theme's styling. The fact that you have only encountered this on WPMU-DEV plugin is simply luck!
    We are not responsible, nor can we be held accountable for any conflicts with a 3rd party theme like the one you are using. There are hundreds of thousands of themes out there and we strive to make our plugins as versatile as possible. But we still can't test our plugins with ALL themes.
    As for the "I thought you guys would take care handling these kinds of problems for your clients." part of that sentense, we build plugins and themes and provide support for those plugins and themes.
    We try to answer ALL questions on these forums and provide solutions to our customers problems.
    However when it comes to troubleshooting 3rd party themes and plugins no, we don't do that. The purpose of these forums is NOT to do custom coding and theming for everyone. There is a different section for that on the WPMU Jobs board.
    We always try to go above and beyond everyone else, and that's the reason why I spent hours examining your theme and customizing the jqueryui css file on this post

Can you tell me which ones will work (in my theme) for all platforms?

The theme you have chosen in particular uses way too many scripts and is not an everyday theme! It makes too many assumptions when it comes to styling and when using a theme as complex as this, issues may come up!
    I cannot tell you what themes will work out of the box with your plugin without writing a single line of CSS.
    When someone installs a plugin on a new theme, they may have to adjust some things and that's only natural!

Cheers,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.