Q&A is missing comments?

StackOverflow and possibly also the other sites that Q&A wants to emulate have a commenting feature on both questions and answers. This is essential, because question is very often not accurate in its first revision. Discussion about it is also valuable, but it doesn’t make sense at all to have that discussion in some other facility or via Answers.

So what exactly is the status with commenting in Q&A?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

Thanks for bringing this up, it certainly sounds like a useful customization to the plugin.

Unfortunately, it is not currently available – but we would love to put it into consideration for future development.

I will move this ticket to the feature requests area and alert the developer of the request.

You can now make plugin and feature requests here:

http://wpmudev.uservoice.com/

The more popular a request is and the more votes it gets, the more likely it will be considered.

It might have already been suggested. It is worth a quick search to add your votes before submitting a new suggestion.

Though we put it into consideration for future development, if it is indeed chosen, might take a bit longer than useful.

Alternatively, you could see if there is a developer available at wpmu jobs who could get onto it right this minute.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• lkraav
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Perhaps Hakan can comment here what he thinks the commenting flow should be like? It doesn’t seem to make sense for people to start asking more clarifying questions as further answers. But what else can they do? It seems like Q&A isn’t prepared right now for anything else than “one question – many immediately 100% correct answers” flow, which I don’t think is almost ever the case.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings lkraav,

The lead developer of the Q&A plugin Hakan has indeed been alerted to this very ticket and is always welcome to comment though I did alert him as a feature request rather then input.

Therefore I will alert him again letting him know about your expectation of a comment.

Cheers, Joe

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi,

I think adding comments option may not be a good idea in most cases. I recently added an option for Buddypress activity streams to disable commenting of a question, because comments also included answers, by-passing the intend and functionality of the plugin.

I know that stackoverflow uses comment system, but please note that they have a very strict moderation system and apparently several moderators, not letting an answer to stay in a comment.

Please also note that Yahoo answers does not have a comments system.

On the other hand, I agree that in some cases this may be required, and luckily It is always possible to integrate an existing comments system to the questions pages with some customizations.

In the next days I will try to provide an example how you can add Comments Plus to the Question page.

Cheers,

Hakan

• Hakan
    • The Incredible Smush

Hi all,

Here is the example that I promised.

This example uses Comments Plus as the commenting system. You can use other commenting systems too, but you will need to modify the code in that case.

Just add this code to the functions.php of your theme:

function my_qa_commentsplus() {
    if ( !class_exists( 'Wdcp_PublicPages' ) )
    return;
    echo "<div style='clear:both; height:20px;'></div>";
    // To customize, please see http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/comments_template
    comments_template( );
    }
    add_action( 'qa_after_question_meta', 'my_qa_commentsplus' );

The result can be seen in the attached screenshot.

This code will use comments.php of your theme, so it should be having the same look with other comments on your website, but you may need to check the exact usage by finding comments_template function in your theme. Or you may need to create another template file if you need a different look.

Cheers,

Hakan

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.