Q&A Page Layout

Hi

I am trying to integrate this plugin into my buddypress site, http://www.extrafriends.co.uk, and I'd like to know how its possible to set the page layout please?

At the moment its adopting a standard 'content/sidebar' setup which I'd like to change.

Thanks

James.

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks for the reply Joe.

The thing is, Q&A is not using the default layout which the child theme is using; so I thought it must be being defined by the plugin itself.

My child theme is 3 column (sidebar/content/sidebar), Q&A is 2 (column/sidebar)

Any ideas or do we need to ask the developer for a definitive answer?

Thanks.

• Han
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi James,
    I saw that you use genesis framework platinum child theme. I'm genesis Fan, just like you :wink:
    To inherit genesis page layout capability, you have to modify the default template files provided by QA plugin, add genesis hooks here and there in the template files, follow genesis html structure, etc.
    The good news is you don't have to do it, I just did it for you. Please download the attached file and extract to your platinum theme folder, download here
    :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings James and riyaku,

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work in this case Genesis theme, but we do our best here to help you with any WordPress issues at all!

Obviously this is a custom job and I would normally at this point - being a theme related object as riyaku has indirectly shown above - I would have referred you to the custom jobs board.

However, due to riyaku's participation and kind addition to this thread it appears to not only be a great custom solution he has provided but resolution to this ticket too.

Therefore I am going to close this ticket marking it as resolved, but if it is still not resolved please mark it as not resolved below and add any additional details applicable to you trying to fix it yourself.

@riyaku - some rep points sent your way

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• jamesathomson
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Guys

@riyaku - I uploaded the files as instructed and now the Q&A area is adopting my chosen Genesis layout :slight_smile: but I don't have control over it. :slight_frown:

On my site, http://www.extrafriends.co.uk, the standard layout for my users activity is 3 column, but where the Q&A area is needs to be 2 in the 'sidebar+content' format. I also need to assign a dedicated sidebar in this area to match up.

Both these problems would be solved if I had access to the page that Q&A sits on but I don't. At least, its not showing up on my dashboard. Hence my original question - where does Q&A take its page layout from?

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings d3xta,

Hence my original question - where does Q&A take its page layout from?

Now that this is working in Genesis I believe it is high time to call the lead developer of Q&A in here to offer his advice/advise to get this final portion fixed and/or question answered as to where the page resides or how to modify it thereof.

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings James,

Thank you for your additional feedback, it is greatly appreciated, and for your patience.

Since our last conversation we have had two more versions of this plugin come out addressing various issues as the lead developer continues to get feedback concerning issues.

The lead developer has been pinged into this thread here since it was started but I believe due to a change in the developer, the new developer may not be aware of this ticket.

Therefore I am going to try to ping him in here again, however this developer is out until the beginning of next week - therefore I do not want you to think for a second that we have forgotten about this issue.

Cheers, Joe

Dev Note: Is there anyway to control which sidebar is presented with the Q&A page? This seems to be the Achilles heal with this particular plugin and other widgets. Best solution in my opinion is if there is a way to change which sidebar is presented and alternatively a way to turn the sidebar off if nothing else.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

You can add QA templates into your theme and you will have full control over the layout. Copy files from default-templates directory into your your theme directory and modify them to fit your requirement.

e.g. if you want to remove sidebar from ask question screen, edit ask-question.php and comment line 17

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.