q&a pages are not responsive..?

Hi,

Q&A is set up on pixel widths and this breaks a responsive design.

Surely these days this has to be % widths and elements of Q&A displayed to respond to screen sizes...

As it stands I cannot use it on my sites as they need to be fully mobile responsive, and especially with a focus on Google's new approach.

Hopefully this can be fixed as I love the plugin and want to use it within my community site.

thanks,

imacg

• calvinrogercanas

Hi @imacg,

Thanks for reaching us.

We really appreciate your love for our plugin. For that, I am more than happy to assist you to make q&a responsive on your site. Could you grant support access from the dashboard plugin so we can take a closer look? See https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I will also flag this as feature request so the lead developer will see this ticket.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Kind Regards,
    Calvin

• imacg

Hi Calvin,

thanks, but do you really need access to view this - simply look at the plugin on any site.

The way it is coded is that the dimensions are set and hard coded in pixels - i.e. px is added after input, so inputing percentages does not work, as - if you input 100% for example - it sets the width to 100%px which does not work.

I actually managed to make this responsive myself with the following css - which includes a few margin settings to adjust relative to my theme.

#qa-page-wrapper {
    ?? width: 100%;
    margin: 20px;
    }?

div#ask-question {
    margin-top: 20px;
    }

#question-form textarea.wp32, #answer-form textarea.wp32 {
    width: 100%;
    height: 300px;
    }

you can see how that works on http://www.omegahealth.community/questions/answers - and note the site is in early development on the front end.

If you still need access I can do that but I'm doing a lot of work on the back-end right now so don't really want anyone in there..

I have another issue - possibly theme related - in that it seems to bring in the title and breadcrumb of the first post to the /answers page and it brings in Archives title to the Questions page (there are no questions set-up as yet) - so maybe I need to tweak the questions page template to remove these..?

I hope that feedback helps and I'd like to see the ability on settings to select responsive mode and then dimension inputs are set as percentages in the styling, that should be easy to set-up..?

In general, I'd like to feedback to the team that ALL Plugins in the WPMUDEV suite really need to be responsive and mobile friendly, so maybe you can pass that one to James...

cheers,

iamcg

• calvinrogercanas

Hi @imacg,

Thanks for your reply.

I have another issue - possibly theme related - in that it seems to bring in the title and breadcrumb of the first post to the /answers page and it brings in Archives title to the Questions page (there are no questions set-up as yet) - so maybe I need to tweak the questions page template to remove these..?

Yes, you can remove it by copying the q&a template files in your theme folder. As stated in the readme.txt located inside the q&a plugin folder:

= Styling =

Copy the php files from default-templates into your theme folder and start customizing.

To disable the default CSS, add the following line to your theme's functions.php file:

add_theme_support( 'qa_style' );

As for the feature request, I already flagged it and the lead developer will surely see it. I certainly agree with you on having an option to make the plugin responsive. Thanks for your valuable input and love for our products.

Have a fantastic day!

Kind Regards,
    Calvin