Q&A Plugin- Add questions to sitemap

Hi,
I have decided to give the Q&A plugin a try as it seems that it has been greatly improved with the recent update.

I have two questions though!

The first one is if its possible to add the questions to the sitemap.xml (third party plugin used to generate the sitemap). I assume that the questions are custom post types,right? How can I include the questions to the sitemap?

The second question is if its possible to create an rss feed from the questions or to add the questions to the existing rss feed?

Cheers.

• aecnu

Greetings bakxos,

Thank you for the great questions.

The first one is if its possible to add the questions to the sitemap.xml (third party plugin used to generate the sitemap). I assume that the questions are custom post types,right? How can I include the questions to the sitemap?

Anything is possible when one is a competent coder with a vision and the will to get it done - and I am not a coder.

It can be pretty challenging to support other peoples work, but we do our best here to help you if we can but in this case not only does this involve custom coding which is beyond the scope of the support we provide here, it also involves an unnamed site mapping plugin.

Have you consulted with the maker/author of the site mapping plugin about this feature for their plugin? Adding custom post types to be included in the sitemap?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• bakxos

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply. I am using Google XML sitemap from the wordpress directory and I found that it has the option to include custom post types in the sitemap. I managed to include the questions and it works just great.

I will try to find something similar for the rss and I will post here if I find anything.

Another question! Is it possible to hold any answer from a "subscriber" before it is published. The plugin has the option to moderate questions and approve them before they are published but there is no such option for answers.

Any work around for that?
    Cheers.

• aecnu

Greetings bakxos,

Thank you for letting us know regarding the original question and regarding the question concerning moderating answers I admit I do not know of any way to moderate them other then carefully choosing who is allowed to answer - but I certainly do not know everything.

With that said I will see if I can get this very responsive lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• bakxos

Thanks for the reply. I'll be waiting for the developer and since he will check this thread, I would appreciate it if he could help me with another issue.

If I change the number of questions per page (let's say that I make it 20), then the widget with the recent questions etc stops showing only 5 and for some reason it shows 20 too. Changing the number of questions for the widget from 5 to let's say 6 or whatever does not fix the problem.

Do you know how to fix that?

• Hakan

Hi,

Another question! Is it possible to hold any answer from a "subscriber" before it is published. The plugin has the option to moderate questions and approve them before they are published but there is no such option for answers.

If you disable "Immediately publish questions" for a certain role, then a new question submitted by such a user will require your approval.

If I change the number of questions per page (let's say that I make it 20), then the widget with the recent questions etc stops showing only 5 and for some reason it shows 20 too. Changing the number of questions for the widget from 5 to let's say 6 or whatever does not fix the problem.

That is interesting. What is your theme and are you using any caching plugins?

Cheers,
    Hakan

• bakxos

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply:slight_smile:

For the first question, I can see that there is the option not to publish a question before it is approved but what about the answers? I am trying to moderate the answers from subscribers as well! Is that possible? It would help if the plugin had the option to automatically publish questions and/or answers from users that already have approved submissions or from users that have at least X points. Of course, that is just a suggestion.

For the second question: I have disabled the caching plugins since I am still working on the site so no caching plugin activated at this moment.

The theme that I am using is the daily theme from theme junkie.

Cheers.

• Hakan

Hi,

For the first question, that setting is applied to both Questions and Answers. For example if you set pending mode i.e. by removing the tick of Immediately Publish Questions checkbox for Subscriber role, then all questions and answers by that role will require your approval. I will change the wording there.

Automatizing this process is not so difficult, but there are several preferences how to auto approve a submission. You can use existing filters to customize it according to your needs.

In the following sample, submissions of users whose reputations are greater than 100 are automatically published. Just add these codes inside functions.php of your current theme:

function qa_auto_publish( $post ) {
    global $current_user;
    $reputation = qa_get_user_rep( $current_user->ID );
    // Change 100 as required
    if ( $reputation > 100 )
    $post['post_status'] = 'publish';
    return $post;
    }
    add_filter( 'qa_before_insert_post', 'qa_auto_publish' );

I will test the second issue.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• aecnu

Greetings bakxos,

Sorry for the delay here in which we have been preparing for the release of WordPress 3.5 which on our end has gone real well but not not so well for WordPress 3.5

I will indeed flag the lead developer @Hakan back to this ticket and remaining issue in the event it has gotten away from him in the preparations for WordPress 3.5

Thank you for your demonstrated patience in this matter.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.