Q&A Plugin: Custom Theme and Plugin Not Displaying Well

I am new to WPMU and just purchased Q&A plugin. I have a Flexx Theme and the default layout does not work with Q&A.

1. One of your instructions was to simply disable the default plugin CSS, add the following line to your theme's functions.php file: add_theme_support( 'qa_style' );

This did not work. See http://debbyeubank.com/questions/ask/. It moved sidebars below and seemed to change the Q&A tabs (Questions, Answers, etc.). I left it this way for illustration purposes, but this code will need to be removed.

2. Your other instruction was to copy the php files from default-templates into your theme folder and start customizing. I have no idea how to do this. I am not a coder and am very concerned my theme code will get messed up.

I did manage to find the plugin/editor/q&a plugin files (this is new to me - I didn’t even know this existed):
• qa/default-templates/ask-question.php
• qa/default-templates/css/general.css
• qa/default-templates/js/init.js
• qa/default-templates/edit-question.php
• qa/default-templates/edit-answer.php
• qa/default-templates/user-question.php
• qa/default-templates/archive-question.php
• qa/default-templates/single-question.php

Which plugin file is the “php files from the default-templates”?

Secondly, what do you mean by “copying these into the theme folder”?

I am not a coder and do very little to change css (color code change, text size/font – simple things). I am very concerned I will mess up my theme trying to customize for Q&A plugin. I really don’t want to change any theme coding. Can you assist, I’d like to use your plugin, but I definitely am not a coder and do not want to mess with theme coding?

Otherwise, I will just need to cancel my membership and ask for a refund. I have several clients that I had wanted to use this plugin for, but this customization may be way over my head. Please advise.

Thanks!
Debby

Philip John

Hiya and welcome to WPMU DEV!

The Q&A has some very specific styling to make it appear in a wiki-style and unfortunately some themes don't work with this well.

You have two options;
    1) tweak the theme styles with the standard Q&A styles still included
    2) remove Q&A styles (as you have done) and then style it with additions to your theme styling.

It sounds like you're not comfortable with such edits and so you would need to either learn a bit about CSS styling or hire a developer. Either would be a small job for a competent developer.

As for moving those template files - the files you listed are the ones you need to move. You need to move them into your active theme directory. You can learn where that is by going to Appearance > Themes in your dashboard. It'll be something like /wp-content/themes/[theme name]/

Phil

debbyeubank

Hi Phil - I have figured out a lot in word press so let's give this a go before giving up too quickly. Plus, I set up all my clients on this word press theme so I need to be able to replicate and understand how to do this.

1. Is there a specific place that the code add_theme_support( 'qa_style' ) was to be added in the default CSS? I want to be sure that I did this right as this would be the easiest fix. I just added it at the very bottom of the code like this: http://debbyeubank.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/css-code-qa.doc

2. You stated, "As for moving those template files - the files you listed are the ones you need to move. You need to move them into your active theme directory. You can learn where that is by going to Appearance > Themes in your dashboard. It'll be something like /wp-content/themes/[theme name]/"

I am to understand that this is not related to css coding and instead actual files that are to be added to the themes folder?

If they are already in my plugin editor within my theme, why would they need to be moved into another theme folder? Also, last time I checked the php files mentioned above were they only ones there. Now there are a lot more files in the plugin editor and I can only hypothesize that they were added when I accepted updates through WPMUDEV. Is this accurate? Still only need to move the above files?

Note, my theme is different and your reference "going to Appearance > Themes in your dashboard. It'll be something like /wp-content/themes/[theme name]/" is not the path. Is this something that is accessed via ftp, too, or straight through the css editor?

3. I really didn't intend for any further investment on this plugin and was just trying it out, therefore, I doubt I would be willing to pay a developer to tweak a plugin. For reference purposes, do you have in-house developers to do these small jobs and if so what would it cost?

Thanks,
    Debby

Philip John

Is there a specific place that the code add_theme_support( 'qa_style' ) was to be added in the default CSS?

You don't add that in your CSS, you add that in your themes functions.php. At it at the end like so;

add_theme_support('qa_style');
    ?>

I am to understand that this is not related to css coding and instead actual files that are to be added to the themes folder?

Yep, these are called template files.

If they are already in my plugin editor within my theme, why would they need to be moved into another theme folder?

Moving them into your theme allows you to edit them without editing the plugin as any edits to the plugin will be overwritten when you upgrade to a newer version.

Still only need to move the above files?

You need to move all the files in that /default-templates/ folder.

Is this something that is accessed via ftp, too, or straight through the css editor?

Yes, you can view the theme directory using FTP. You should see a folder with the same name as your theme - that will be the active theme directory.

do you have in-house developers to do these small jobs and if so what would it cost?

We don't I'm afraid.

Phil

DavidM

Hi @Matt,

Sorry you're having trouble with that. Are you by any chance using this theme?
    http://themeforest.net/item/flexform-retina-responsive-multipurpose-theme/4258755

If so, could I ask for you to create a new thread?

This particular thread is actually related to iThemes Flexx theme and the theme you're using may not actually require adjustments to the template files.

Thanks,
    David