Q&A Plugin - Documentation seems minimal, and I am confused

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/qa-wordpress-questions-and-answers-plugin/installation/

Seems like a great idea.

However, for me, never having modified css, anywhere, this documentation is almost minimal.

#1 and #2 are simple enough. Same with section #3 somewhat. Fortunately, I do already know something about Menus.

(Seems I too often have problems when someone says anything like "Now all you have to do is ... "

However, section #4 definitely need 2-3 times more clarification for this newbie. Way too much vagueness.

Thanks

PJ

• Ovidiu

well, this is a site providing plugins and themes for wordpress multisite. the instructions are pretty clear.

it sems your confusion comes from the terminology...

3. Upload the qa folder to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your site

On regular WordPress installs - visit Plugins and Activate the plugin.
    For WordPress Multisite installs - Activate it blog-by-blog (say if you wanted to make it a Supporter premium plugin), or visit Network Admin -> Plugins and Network Activate the plugin.
    4. Login to your admin panel for WordPress or Multisite and activate the plugin

3. visit the plugins menu and activate seems pretty straight forward

do you have multisite?
    - yes: activate it blog by blog meaning on every blog you want to use it
    - no: visit the menu "network admin" =< plugins click on network activate

not sure what you think needs clarification here?

• Patagonia

I agree that it is very confusing and don't get it either. Maybe we can walk through it:

Customization options
    Optionally, you can further customize the plugin to work with your theme.

As it does not seem to work properly with any non 2010 theme, this seems to be mandatory rather than optionally? I am using Mystique and the lay-out is a mess with the QA plugin, can't fix it using firebug and the next steps are unclear:

To do so:
    1. Simply copy the php files from default-templates into your theme folder and start customizing.

Inside that folder are also a CSS folder, an img and a javascript folder. Do these need to be moved as well? If a js folder already exists, can these just be merged?

2. Disable the default CSS, add the following line to your theme's functions.php file:
    add_theme_support( 'qa_style' );

The comma makes it unclear. Do you mean:
    (1) To disable the default CSS, add the following line ... or
    (2) First Disable the default CSS, and Second add the following line
    The default CSS of just this plugin, of the theme, what? Do I need to do this in order to be able to customize (make it work) the layout?
    If it is (2), how to disable to default CSS?

3. Disable the default JavaScript, add the following line to your theme's functions.php file: add_theme_support( 'qa_script' );

Same 2 options here, the comma makes it unclear. Same questions: is this needed, optional, ?

At the moment the plugin is a mess in the Mystique theme, and there are too many options/question marks to be able to guess where to start on fixing it. These 3 steps definitely need better explanation and punctuation.

Thanks in advance

• scribu

I am using Mystique and the lay-out is a mess with the QA plugin

I'm afraid the only way to make that layour work reliably with all themes would be to use tables.

Anyway, to fix it, it's enough to adjust the width declaration on .question-summary (it's set to 82% by default).

Inside that folder are also a CSS folder, an img and a javascript folder. Do these need to be moved as well? If a js folder already exists, can these just be merged?

It says to copy the PHP files, so you should copy just the PHP files.

The rest of the files are not mentioned because, if you want to copy them to some other place, you'll have to reference them yourself (in the CSS or in the theme's header etc.).

I've hopefully clarified the rest of the steps:

----

If you want to disable the default plugin CSS, add the following line to your theme's functions.php file:

add_theme_support( 'qa_style' );

If you also want to disable the default JavaScript (not recommended), add the following line to your theme's functions.php file:

add_theme_support( 'qa_script' );

• Patagonia

thanks Scribu, that makes it clearer, I had assumed that you needed to do the 3 (numbered) steps in order to do any customisation, so good that you took of the numbering as well.

The changing of the width declaration did not do much, but taking out all < div id= " qa-page-wrapper " > mentions and replacing all the header/footer calls with the ones from Mystique pages worked.

Thanks for the plugin!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.