Q&A Plugin - Msut users be logged in to create questions? And...

I want a Q&A page on two of my sites. I like the layout of the Q&A plugin, and I like that it integrates with my WordPress sites' themes. But, and yeah, call me awkward, I want to keep registration for my WordPress site disabled so I can continue to block access to WP scripts that bots and hackers try to use to gain access to WP sites.

So, can Q&A work without requiring user registration or can it be edited to use its own user base?

Also, and this might be theme related, while testing the plugin, I opened the Q&A page in a different browser to the one I used to log into my WordPress site then I created a new subscriber user to create a test question. After creating the question I noticed the poster's name was my site's admin name not that of the subscriber user.

To check what had happened, I created another question for the subscriber user. Again, the username was not the subscriber's own but was my own admin name.

I created a third question but this time examined the post page a little better. In the backend of the site where the question was written, I scrolled right to the bottom of the page. Sure enough, I (as the subscriber user) was able to select the name under which I wanted to post. Bear in mind, I was logged in as two different users in two different browsers so this option to select the posters name should not have been present for the subscriber (and I was definitely logged in as the subscriber for the browser used).

Has anyone else noticed this quirk?

• DavidM

Hi DDV,

Q&A isn't really designed for use by non-logged in visitors, though you could potentially provide a free account that anyone could log into to post questions and answers.

There's just not a way at this time to allow for logged-out users to post though.

Not sure if it would help, but the Ultimate Facebook plugin has a login/register through Facebook option that would rather bypass registration issues that would allow bots entry.

As for that quirk, it's definitely a strange one and I've not seen anything like that reported thus far. What versions of WordPress and Q&A are you using?

-David

• DDV

Thanks David. I've opted to use an external Q&A script for the time being (Question2Answer). Just need to get to grips with the way the themes are designed.

Logging in through Facebook is not a bad option. Would be nice if Q&A login worked in a similar way to Disqus and LiveFyre.

For the second part, I'm using WP 3.3 (non multisite) with a Genesis theme. The version of Q&A was "Q&A - WordPress Questions and Answers Plugin" release 1.3, premium.

Thinking back, I created the subscriber account when prompted by the plugin post writing the question. Maybe that has something to do with this peculiar behaviour.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.