Q&A Plugin problem mysite.com/questions/ask/ redirects to mysite.com

I have installed the Q&A plugin, and it appears ok in the admin dashboard.
But the url mysite.com/questions/ask/ redirects to mysite.com, so I don't get to see any question or answer page.

I am using the Genesis + News child theme.

How is the URL /questions/ask/ working? I would like to dig a bit on my side? (although a solution is most welcome :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hi @tucson,

Welcome to the forums!

There's a couple of things that could cause this.

I think the first thing we should try is re-saving your permalink settings. Try this:

Log in to your site and go to Settings > Permalinks. Make sure you do NOT have the "default" option selected (any other one is fine) and click save (even if you haven't changed any thing.

This will refresh the permalinks settings and will usually fix this problem. If it doesn't, let me know and we'll try something else.

• Elliott Bristow
    • The Bug Hunter

Hmmmm... what kind of test environment are you using? Are you using a WAMP, LAMP or MAMP build or something else?

I'm not sure that it will make a big difference but I'm just trying to get a feel for how you're set up. Obviously we can't log in to take a look at it for you if it's on a localhost installation. Is there any way you can upload to a live location that we can access to take a look?

• tucson
    • New Recruit

SOLVED
    ------------
    HERE WAS THE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM:

After digging a bit more I found that I was actually getting redirected to the 'Unauthorized Access Page' with a 302.

This was due to the settings for the Admin user. After checking all boxes to grant all rights to the Admin user, the URL /questions/ask/ worked.

• Angelos
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Tucson, hi.

I have the exact same problem as you, but on my live site.

I can't reach the /questions/ or /questions/ask page either as an admin or as any logged in user.

When I am logged out, however, I can reach the pages just fine.

Could you elaborate where you changed the settings of the Admin user?

• Angelos
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Well, this is embarrasing. I just had to go to the plugin settings, and I found that none of the boxes were checked for anyone but the qa visitors.

I wonder why the default settings don't give at least the administrators full access...

• Cali Leomojo
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your reply...but actually, by default you set common-sense capabilities for the QA visitors. Why are common-sense capabilities not also set for admins? Is there any scenario where one would want admins to have zero access to the Q & A system? Less access than random visitors? Maybe I don't understand the plugin in general, because I can't make any sense of that. Locking admins out of the system by default seems like a bug to me.

Thanks!
    Cali Leomojo

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Cali,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

While not technically a bug, as it's by design, it certainly would make sense to add the capabilities for admins on activation, rather than require them to be set.

I'll add this as a feature request for you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.