Q&A plugin URL not workig

Hi there,
I just installed Q&A plugin based on instructions, Im sure Im using pretty permalinks but I got a 404 page when try mysite.com/questions/ask url.
There is something I need to know or have to count on ? like .htaccess config, permissions perhaps, anything else? , I can't find anything on the documentation.
Thanks, any help is really appreciated.
Paul

PS: Also one thing really annoying is this Red notification window at the top of WP admin panel, why do you want us to install extra plugins ? how to remove this thing?

• aecnu

Greetings Paulgagu,

Welcome to WPMU Dev!

The red thingy at the top pf the screen, referring to the WPMU Dev Dashboard plugin is the way to keep your WPMU Dev plugins updated, or else your installation may never know and cannot access the updates.

The WPMU Dev Dashboard plugin also tells us what version of WordPress you have, BuddyPress, and the version of the individual plugin of ours that you are using when selected as the topic or we do not see that either.

This is disclosed in the site policies.

The update code can be easily spotted and removed from the core files.

Now on to your issue.

If you are using Pretty Permalinks, what is the setting?

What are we working with there?

WordPress 3.4.1?
    MultiSite or Solo?
    Buddy Press 1.6.1?
    Theme name?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• Paulgagu

Thx Joe for quick reply,
    WP 3.4.1 - Solo installaion, No Buddy Press, We develop our own theme.
    Permalinks set to %category%/%postname%/ also we include a couple of rewrites
    in function.php as follow (my guess could be the culprit):

function do_rewrite() {
    add_rewrite_rule('pagina/([^/]*)/?$', 'index.php?pagename=pagina&var1=$matches[1]','top');
    add_rewrite_rule('pagina/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?$', 'index.php?pagename=pagina&var1=$matches[1]&var2=$matches[2]','top');
    add_rewrite_rule('festival2012/([^/]*)/?$', 'index.php?pagename=smmf2012&var1=$matches[1]','top');
    add_rewrite_rule('galeria/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?$','index.php?pagename=galeria&var1=$matches[1]&var2=$matches[2]','top');
    }
    Thanks for your help.

PS: About your UPDATE system, can't still understand why you use an external plugin to update plugins? shouldn't be WP Plugins self-sufficient for simplicity and portability ? Don't want to argue but your-selves stated in the plugin page (https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-dev/update-notifications-plugin-information/)
    "Notifications – ..... We’ve designed the plugin to be as unobtrusive as possible.", In my humble opinion an unobtrusive way is to have the update option inside the plugin like every single one of the millions of plugins in the WP repository but is my opinion. Question: Do we have to install a plugin to update the Dashboard Plugin also? (a joke can help myself, apologies).

• aecnu

Greetings Paulgagu,

Thank you for your additional input, it is certainly appreciated.

Concerning the

Question: Do we have to install a plugin to update the Dashboard Plugin also?

Which I do find funny since just yesterday I programmed my daughters computer with Windows 7 and the first thing it came up with after installation was that "an online update is available for online updates that is required to do online updates" ... lol

Concerning your custom coding and rewrites which are beyond the scope and mandate of our support that we offer here, I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Hakan

Hi,

Your application does not seem correct. Please see this note:

IMPORTANT: By default, WordPress will not recognize custom querystring variables used for rewrites. You must register your querystring variables with WordPress. Simply use add_rewrite_tag() to do this, or the above rewrite will not work! More information about capturing querystring variable values after a rewrite can be found here.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Rewrite_API/add_rewrite_rule

I also don't understand why you are trying to redirect requests like that instead of using your htaccess. WordPress rewrites are not the same as htaccess rewrites and they are expensive. It means they use mysql calls each time a visitor hits your website.

So I suggest completely remove this function and add the same functionality in your htaccess file (recommended) or use a redirect plugin (if you dont have any other choice or knowledge).

Please also provide your website url and your hook calling this function, if you need further help.

Cheers,
    Hakan

• Paulgagu

Joe,
    Thanks for your time and help, I enjoyed your comment on win7 updates.

Hakan,
    Thank you for your reply, these querystring vars are registered with WP in another area and they are working perfectly, I just sent the rewrites code thinking maybe this is the cause we get a 404 when try to use Q&A. url.
    We really appreciate you comments on our way to redirect and we are aware of advantages of using .htaccess way but in our case (is complicate to explain) we need it as is it. We tried different redirect plugins and none of them work for our installations and needs.
    The Q&A plugin is being tested in our Development environment which you dont have access to, so my question is:
    This Q&A plugin need special redirect in order to URL work? do this plugin need special permissions to any specific folder in order to have this URL working ? The plugin has been installed and seems to works fine in the admin panel but we cant make URL works, there is another url where the plugin can be accessed and works (other than .../questions/ask )? can we set the redirection manually ?
    tanks on advance for your help
    Paul

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.