"Q&A" plugin with BuddyPress

Hi,
i am trying to understand exactly how the "Q&A" plugin works with BuddyPress.

Initially I was thinking of using the "Q&A" plugin for a simple technical support area.
Then I saw it appeared in a BP member's menu, then realising it was integrated into BP as well. Cool no problem, nice to also have a Q&A section in the community as well I thought.

Problem is, it seems that if BP is present, its not a fair or complete integration.
What I mean is ;
1 - a member cannot ask or answer a question "under" or "within" (so to speak) their menu of the BP community. In other words it seems to me, the only integration available for BP is simply to display a list of the questions and answers when they click on "Q&A" in their BP menu. They then have to click one of those to be redirected to /questions/ask/ or /questions/
2 - The Q&A only shows for BP members and not BP groups (an integral part of BP).
3 - what if I want to have the Q&A run separately from the BP community just for lets say technical Q&A support only and not have these show up in the community because the community would be discussing music, games, alcoholism, dildos, or whatever ?

Any kind assistance in this would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

RC.

• Ash

Hello @Randall

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

1. Would you please check the capabilities from Questions > Settings?
    2. It is done in purpose.
    3. Please try the following code in theme's functions.php:

function boone_remove_blogs_nav() {
    ?>
    <style>
    	#q-and-a-personal-li{display: none;}
    </style>
    <?php
    }
    add_action( 'wp_head', 'boone_remove_blogs_nav', 15 );

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash

• amused

hi,
    thanks for the reply.
    1- not sure how the "capabilities" would affect the entire BP menu from appearing. i tried "TwentyThirteen" and your very own ""BuddyPress Community" theme and the same thing. the BP menu goes away when a question or answer is clicked (screenshots). I presume this is how this amazing plugin works. I also selected all options for all users in the Capabilities to ensure everything is available and same thing.
    2- i realise this is done on purpose. but i saw this request on another post, basically to have a Group offer their own Q&A. possible as a request ?
    3- thanks for the code, please elaborate on what was given, this would basically eliminate the Q&A integration into BP totally with this code ? or just have the questions and answers separate as mentioned above ?

kind regards,

RC.

• Ash

Hi RC

#1. Sorry I got you wrong, so when someone click in QA in BP menu it will redirect you to original QA page. So, no BP menu will be appeared in there.

#2. If you please create a separate thread based on this, we will be happy to mark that thread as a feature request.

#3. It will hide the QA menu item from BP menu. But you still will be able to access the QA pages from these urls: /questions/ask/ or /questions/ or so on...

Hope it helps Please feel free to ask more question if you have.

Cheers
    Ash