Q&A Question page not working correctly with Product Theme

Hi Folks,

The Q&A plugin seems to have some issues with the Product Child Theme.

When I call up the http://domain.com/questions/ask form, it spills out over the left side of the theme ( see attached screen shots ).

Even with the 2011 theme ( also attached screen shot ) it is hard justified to the left, but with the Product theme ( both the main 3.14 and the child theme 3.13 ) it overflows.

What do I need to do to fix this?

• LANSRAD
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

How about it guys?

Considering that the WPMU concept is plugins and themes that are GUARANTEED to work together – I’m not seeing it here.

Other than a “the developer is aware of it” comment – the last TWO updates to the Q&A plugin have done NOTHING to fix the problem with the Product theme.

The plugin generated HTML still overflows the box and the “Please log in and add widgets to this column.” still appears below the Q&A list.

The problems were reported nearly a month ago and when both updates to Q&A were released – I was hopeful…

I really want to use the Product theme with Q&A and these bugs have my project on hold.

When can I expect a resolution?

Thanks!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings LANSRAD,

I sincerely apologize for the delay in getting back to you on this – it seems your ticket somehow got buried in the system and your last post has brought it front and center.

We’re currently testing this out in our development environment, and I’m going to discuss it with the lead developer – to get a fix sorted for you asap.

Thanks again for bringing this up, and of course for being a member, we’ll get back to you asap.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

You can get a temporary fix as follows. It will be specific to Product.

Go to wp-content/plugins/qa/default-templates/css/general.css

You can do this in the Plugins editor in WP. At the top in the block:

#qa-page-wrapper {
    float: left;
    overflow: hidden;
    padding-bottom: 2em;
    }

change it to

#qa-page-wrapper {
    float: left;
    overflow: hidden;
    padding-bottom: 2em;
    margin: 30px 30px;
    }

This will bump it over so it fits better. Note that if you update Q&A the change will get overwritten. Look in the readme.txt for Q&A for insructions on moving the template to the theme directory so it won’t get overwritten.

Hope that will hold you until there’s a more permanent fix.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

Each theme is unique and it’s not possible to make the plugin work well with each and every theme out of the box.

Since it’s one of our themes, I believe we should make it work better with our plugins. I have notified the theme designer to have a look and update the theme to work better with QA.

Sorry for the delay.

• LANSRAD
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

You can get a temporary fix as follows. It will be specific to Product.

Thanks Arnold!

Since Q&A is more of a black box plugin in how it works with generating its entire pages, I’d been trying to avoid going down that road.

++++++++++++++

Each theme is unique and it's not possible to make the plugin work well with each and every theme out of the box.

Since it's one of our themes, I believe we should make it work better with our plugins.

That was really my point.

If it was a case of your plugin not working with a theme that came from somewhere else, I would not have any issues with it.

But since part of the premise of why we would subscribe to WPMU on an annual basis IS to ensure compatibility between the themes and plugins offered – I WOULD expect all of them to work together out of the box.

That was one of the main attractions for buying into the WPMU concept.

:slight_smile:

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I’m going to flag the developer of the plugin as they should be looking at providing some clear wrappers to avoid issues. The issue really is the styling used in the plugin not the theme. I’ll talk to them also and see what can be done about a fix at least to stop this to and fro and make it easier outside of all themes.

We will work internally on a solution and update you once we have one. I appreciate you flagging this with us and will work with the team to get a solution for you on this. I hope you understand we need a little time to do this.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Please update to the latest version of Product released today we have added in a empty sidebar template just for QA to deal with the issue for now. However, you may experience some issues with other themes – we are looking into those and will look for an ultimate solution for all cases where possible. Please consider this a just for Product Theme fix.

• S H Mohanjith
    • Developer

To make life easier in QA 1.0.7 I have added the ability to add theme specific styles to QA and those will not be overwritten when the plugin is upgraded.

With 1.0.7 I have included theme specific styles for Twenty Eleven, Twenty Ten, BP Default and Products.

Big thank you to everyone for reporting the issue and your patience :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.