Query about Features / Setup for selling ebooks and collecting emails

I am wondering about whether the WPMU e-newsletter can be used like Mailchimp / aWeber for when you are starting out.

I cant sign up for an email service yet, so in the interim I want to know if I can -using WPMU:

1. set up a landing page to collect emails of people interested in buying my ebook when it is out (soon).
2. put that sign up form on any page of my website
3. Do they have to sign up /log in and have to be a user or can I collect emails with out that happening.

Thanks for any help/advice.

PS I have read the newsletter blurb and seen the video but is there any more detailed information on how to use it?

Thanks.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi @Karen,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your questions.

1. set up a landing page to collect emails of people interested in buying my ebook when it is out (soon).
    2. put that sign up form on any page of my website

You can use the e-Newsletter shortcode [enewsletter_subscribe] to include the e-Newsletter subscription form wherever you need it including any page or landing page.

Then you can see the emails of people who are interested/subscribed to the e-Newsletter from the following path.

Admin Area -> eNewsletter -> Members

You will find more information about it on the following page.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-newsletter/#usage

3. Do they have to sign up /log in and have to be a user or can I collect emails with out that happening.

By default they have to sign up /log in but you can add the e-newsletter subscribe widget to your page, users can then sign up whether they are logged in or not.

See the reply posted in the following reply to know more about it.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/subscribe-without-joining-the-site#post-537557

Please advise if you have more questions.

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Karen

Vinod

Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated.

One question about the settings page:

Groups permissions
    Public group access: [This only has registered users OR nobody] I want anyone to be able to sign up. Does this need to change and if so how do you get visitors etc or for it to default to all?or am I getting the purpose of this wrong?

(Choose what type of user can subscribe to non public groups. Keep in mind that users can still be added to all type of groups in eNewsletter members admin page.)

• Karen

Vinod

(SCREAM)

I set up the page.

I logged out to test it.

I entered my email (a different one) and it says "saving" and then I get : PERMISSION DENIED.

(All of the tests for the emails work.)

WHAT (on earth) is wrong?

Thanks.

I just tried it again and it THEN tells me that the email is already subscribed.

PS I ALSO want the name to be asked for on the page NOT JUST the email address. How do I do that please?

Thanks
    Karen

OK I just checked and info@geelongstreet.com.au (the email I used) IS in the list of members - so WHY does it give the permission DENIED page.

Can you please advise asap?

• Karen

Vinod

I found the answer to one question.

Do the developers realise that if you UNCHECK the double opt in box, that is when you get that issue with permission DENIED message after putting your email, so in fact you are NOT able to use a non double option?

I DONT want to use it but am forced to. It is not necessary legally so can it please be instigated as a real option?

Can the developers look at it please?

I found that answer on https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/enewsletter-subscribe-page-form-stuck-on-saving. FYI

I still have the issue with name field not appearing etc.

Thanks
    Karen

• Karen

Vinod

Another test.

I tried to re enter the last test email azupanic@........

This is the message I get:
    "Failed to send opt-in email, please contact us and inform about this error."

Why isn't it telling you that that email is already used?

The email has been entered but the link in the email not activated so this is a stage that the message to the person needs to be tailored.

It should say "that email has been used but not yet confirmed" or something like that.

For the developers please....

• Karen

I also got people to try it and this is the response:

I'm guessing i'm not meant to get this after subscribing???? Oh dear, something is not right.

The first link worked, i supscribed got the email and then selected the confirm subscription and it took me to the following message.

Permission Denied
    Not Found / No Access

The page you are looking for either does not exist, or you do not have the permissions to access it.

• Karen

Vinod

I just checked the members and the ones coming via the e-newsletter are NOT getting a member number assigned. They are all listed as #0.. Is there a reason for this? Is that supposed to happen?

Also the person who got the "permission denied" page after clicking on the email confirmation is listed (Aimee) so why is she getting that message?

Over to you.

Can't wait (not) to see what issues crop up when I actually get to send a test email!

Thanks
    Karen

• Karen

Ok further to my last email I used the wrong email in the widget and got this message "Confirmation email has been sent! Please confirm subscription." Which it should do.

I just re tried an email I already used and it tells me already used. Which it should do.

BUT I just noticed that the WIDGET is not showing the groups to tick it just asks for your name and email....this results in a MEMBER record with UNSUBSCRIBED against the record which is useless as you end up with signups and no idea of what they are signing up for. This is a BUG.

The PAGE shows the boxes to check.

I want both to ask for name and email AND groups to show on BOTH.

PS that was testing LOGGED OUT.

I just LOGGED IN and the categories are there for both page and widget. Very odd.

• Karen

Another test:

A PAO Member / Logged In .....gets a (new to me) button (ie not one I have seen before) that says: Subscribe to Newsletters

Why would it be saying this when there are two specific groups???
    (PS I HAD 4 different newsletter groups that I have removed and added two new ones.)
    How would you know WHICH Newsletters you are signing up for???

When she clicked on Subscribe to Newsletters
    It said "Saving..."
    Then ended up at "Permission denied."
    [I then checked her Member record and "Unsubscribed" has disappeared and that field in now just BLANK - so it is TRYING to do something. Sorry but it really is a mess.]

There is something seriously wrong with the way the e-newsletter subscription works and how it interacts with Membership and members.

It seems to be only accepting new emails.
    It won't add these groups to existing Member profiles.
    It won't allow an existing member ie already-lodged email to have the option to tick new groups (eg if they signed up a long time ago and these are newly introduced options, they appear to be locked out).

Can the developers fix this? (quickly?....as otherwise the plugin is pretty useless to anyone with an existing membership who is looking to have people indicate they want to be on any new lists/groups that are created.)

Thanks.

Looking forward to hearing back (soon?)

regards,
    Karen

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

Public group access: [This only has registered users OR nobody] I want anyone to be able to sign up. Does this need to change and if so how do you get visitors etc or for it to default to all?or am I getting the purpose of this wrong?

You can use this shortcode on any post/page/widget and it will display a email field for visitors or a checkbox for logged in users.

[enewsletter_subscribe show_name="1" show_groups="0" subscribe_to_groups="1,5"]

The show_name parameter is whether or not you want them to enter their name as well(shows for visitors).

The show_groups paramater is wehther or not you want them to actually see the groups they are subscribing to or not, this also allows them to make selections of which ones they want.

The subscribe_to_groups is the groups the user will be subscribed to when they hit subscribe. With the show_groups parameter this can be changed by the user

I asked one of my PAO members to try it and the message they get is "email is already used" so my question is how will anyone already logged in, be able to add themselves to the mailing list?

Once a user has registered then they are able to manage their subscriptions. Just create a page that has a subscription form with all of the groups. A visitor can only enter their email once before they need to register. This is because the emails aren't being added to the groups - the groups are being added to the email. You can't have multiples of the same email. Hopefully that makes sense!

It won't allow an existing member ie already-lodged email to have the option to tick new groups (eg if they signed up a long time ago and these are newly introduced options, they appear to be locked out).

You will need to have a subscribe widget with the new groups then the user can login and manage them.

How would you know WHICH Newsletters you are signing up for???

You need to add the show_groups parameter for this and set it to "1". show_groups="1". Then they will be able to see the group names and checkboxes.

It said "Saving..."
    [I then checked her Member record and "Unsubscribed"

She unsubscribed then tried to re-subscribe? While logged in or not? If they have an account then they should be able to log in and join/leave groups.

You can also manage the emails from the backend too.

There was a lot of questions here, but hopefully that has addressed the majority of them, if not all of them :slight_smile:

Let us know if you have others, or if I missed any.

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Many thanks - I am just working my way through your suggestions.

I just added: [enewsletter_subscribe show_name="1" show_groups="0" subscribe_to_groups="1,5"] and the name now shows (yeah!) but there is a weird semi-box with the side and bottom arrows appearing now.

What is that?

See: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/

Update: I just found some random code that was in there:
    <pre class="code"> . I didn't put it in there so no idea where it came from. Now fixed.

• Karen

Tyler

Sorry but this second one made my head hurt:

Once a user has registered then they are able to manage their subscriptions. Just create a page that has a subscription form with all of the groups. A visitor can only enter their email once before they need to register. This is because the emails aren't being added to the groups - the groups are being added to the email. You can't have multiples of the same email. Hopefully that makes sense!

The issue I have is that people are registering and then getting Permission Denied pages - either straight away OR when they click on the Confirmation link from the double optin email (the whole thing doesn't work UNLESS and UNTIL you click on double optin which makes that MANDATORY not optional , but that is by the by).

That is confusing as it looks as if they are NOT registered ie they couldn't get in - YET my Admin records show they are - confusing to the person to say the least.

Anyway, re

Just create a page that has a subscription form with all of the groups.

Isn't that what I have ALREADY done at:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/ ?

Isn't REGISTERING a different process?
    Doesn't the e-Newsletter Blurb say that ANYONE can sign up ...what is the point of saying that if they THEN have to register.
    In fact that means they HAVE to register.

Now - for my ALREADY REGISTERED users/members - they might want to sign up (after seeing the page) BUT they can't (and it is CONFUSING to them as they don't realise they have to LOG IN to then be able to SUBSCRIBE.

Can you see the confusion?

Anyway, I'll move on..to the next answer while you mull this one over. :slight_smile: thanks.

Postscript: Perhaps the message "This email is already subscribed!" Could have something added to it like. "Please Log In with that email to update your profile and add your name to the relevant email list/s."

• Karen

Ok, next one:

You will need to have a subscribe widget with the new groups then the user can login and manage them.

Isn't the SUBSCRIBE widget what I ALREADY have in the top of the widget column? (ie the widget called "Sign Up for e-book info")

If people have subscribed to the site but it's been a while since they visited, they may not realise they are already subscribed. Is there a way that a message can ask them if they are already a subscriber to prompt their memory?

• Karen

Tyler

Just on this:

A visitor can only enter their email once before they need to register. This is because the emails aren't being added to the groups - the groups are being added to the email. You can't have multiples of the same email.

I am not wanting to have multiples of the same email, I just want a message to appear when - if they put in their email and it is already in the system - that a message tells them (reminds them if you like) that they are ALREADY registered and to SIGN IN and they will THEN be able to add these groups to their profile.

[See Postscript above for suggested words.]

Is that possible?

Not everyone - with the plethora of sites they sign on to - will remember if they have previously logged in to the site or not if they are not frequent users.

It is really about making it as easy as possible for the user (not to mention the poor Administrator!) to be guided in what to do and not relying on them remembering. It's just a prompt for them.

One for the developers, perhaps?

• Karen
    It said "Saving..."
    [I then checked her Member record and "Unsubscribed"

She unsubscribed then tried to re-subscribe? While logged in or not? If they have an account then they should be able to log in and join/leave groups.

She was ALREADY IN THE SYSTEM (ie registered on the system) BUT the list AGAINST her Member record said she was UNSUBSCRIBED.

(FYI she is my finance person so a long time ago registered as a PAO member so is in the system as a member BUT there were NO SUBSCRIPTIONS against her record.)

I asked her to SUBSCRIBE to the newsletters.

When she LOGGED IN (as accounts@...) she got the "Subscribe to Newsletters" message (why is that even appearing when it should JUST be the 2 GROUPS I have set up being listed?)

It told her it was "Saving..." BUT then she got the "Permission denied." page.

SO why as a LOGGED IN user who selects "Subscribe to Newsletters" is she then getting the "Permission denied." page.

Over to you.

• Karen

Just to add to the last post re:

She unsubscribed then tried to re-subscribe?

She tried to subscribe to the newsletters (ie Subscribe to Newsletters - which is the wrong message to appear in my view anyway - it should be showing just the two checkboxes for the two groups).

While logged in or not?

She was logged in as accounts@....

If they have an account then they should be able to log in and join/leave groups.

NOPE - That is NOT happening.
    She logged in, she has an account with NO SUBSCRIPTIONS and WANTED to join the newsletters.
    All she got was Permission Denied page.

Over to you!

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

The issue I have is that people are registering and then getting Permission Denied pages - either straight away OR when they click on the Confirmation link from the double optin email

I tested out the subscribe and saw the issue you're referring to now. Which page are you using for your subscribe page?

Have you placed this shortcode on it?

[enewsletter_subscribe_message]

NOPE - That is NOT happening.
    She logged in, she has an account with NO SUBSCRIPTIONS and WANTED to join the newsletters.
    All she got was Permission Denied page.

Let me know which page you have for your subscribe page and I'll take a closer look :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Not sure I am following.

I need ANOTHER subscribe page?

How is that different to the membership subscriptions - sorry but it is confusing with several plugins and all being different.

I thought it would automatically create a subscription page (many plugins seem to create their own pages automatically and you can never tell if they have or if you are meant to create your own.

How do I find out if there is an auto page?

I certainly didn't create one. I am just using the Name and Email fields for people to sign up - I thought THAT process was in fact SUBSCRIBING so why would you need yet another SUBSCRIBE page.

Is this IN ADDITION to any Membership Subscribe page?

Is this for people who are visitors and have not registered already on the site.

It's all unclear from the stuff I have read (and yes I've seen the video AND read the Usage notes).

• Karen

Tyler

Ah.. I just looked on the setting page and it tells me I am using:

Subscribe Page ID: 1160
    UnSubscribe Page ID: 1164

I tried looking / searching for those pages in (naturally) the PAGES list, but nothing would come up and as far as I can see you can't actually search on ID number (but could be wrong).

HOW do you find out where those pages are?
    Are they in fact accessible?

FYI I loaded e-Newsletters a long while ago but barely (well, didn't) use it as the newsletter formatting was all too hard, so I could have created those pages then...but I don't remember this far and with so much else happening with my site.

Can you help with this please?

I need to get it working ASAP! :slight_smile:

Thanks.
    Karen

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

The subscribe page should just be the page that users land on after confirming there subscriptions to the newsletter :slight_smile:

The simplest method here, instead of looking for the pages. Just create new ones.

To find the page ID, just hover over the "edit" link when in the page listing. The ID will show up in the url. So, after you create your two new pages, get the ID and place it in those fields. This way you know the pages are there and are not protected or anything.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

I just created a test page called Test Subscribe page for e-newsletter

[enewsletter_subscribe_message]

The preview view shows an empty page! (when still in draft so I published it and go the same result!) I a

Will it only show if I am logged out? (Nope, I just tested that and all I get is the page title - NO FORM)

How on earth do you test it as I have run out of emails to test!?

Is there a way the dropdown list - View page as - can include view as a REAL visitor?

I just tried VIEW SITE AS VISITOR and the page STILL shows as BLANK (I have found that feature useless as it never shows the view it purports to show - FYI in case someone wants to look at that as well.)

Also I just noticed that when one of the tester clicked on the link in the double optin email it took him to this location (titled Private: Newsletter Subscribe) and it said Member already subscribed! :

https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/newsletter/1160-2/?member_id=78&message=Member+already+subscribed!&enewsletter_subscribed=0

Notice the 1160?

I am guessing the system is creating something ...so why do I need to ALSO create something????

Over to you as I am confused about how it is SUPPOSED to work vs. WHAT is ACTUALLY happening.

Sorry for appearing to "SHOUT" but it easier for me to type capitals than find bold all the time. FYI.

• Karen

Oh Frig!

I just typed in the first part of the string to 1160 to see what would come up..and I get something I have obviously entered (BUT the info refers to the OLD groupings so:

(a) it appears that there is a page somewhere (maybe called newsletter?)
    (https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/newsletter/1160/)

(b) I need to find it to update the names of the newsletters as they are the OLD Groups I had listed.

Newsletter

If you would like to sign up for our various newsletters, just click on the one/s you want and enter your email address.

The newsletters are issued as follows:

Job Alert! - weekly to our registered candidates only.
    Course News – in advance of our course timetable being issued (so they are the first to be able to book upcoming courses and events). All our past course attendees are on this list, clients with staff they wish to train and anyone – whether they are a public affairs officer or not – who is interested in staying on top of professional development opportunities that will advance their career (eg skills such as professional writing that spans many different professions).
    Recruitment News – this is issued to our clients when we have something of interest for them regarding recruitment, the industry, any happenings that affect their ability to source staff in a timely manner.

Subscribe to:

Career Tips & Hints...e-courses
    Career Tips & Hints...e-books

• Karen

Tyler

I am amending the 1160 page text to what I want.

BUT I notice that instead of:

[enewsletter_subscribe_message]...which shows nothing on the resulting page....

I have
    [enewsletter_subscribe] which DOES show the list of groups.

FYI.

PS I know how to find the number (but thanks :grinning:...but the trouble is finding a Page BY its number..is there no way to do that?
    thanks for the quick response.

I also found 1164 by searching "newsletter" under Pages and THEN checking the ID number.

What I found is that 1160 (subscribe) and 1164 (unsubscribe) are PRIVATE pages...is that a problem? Should they be PUBLIC pages?

Is it all working now? Can you advise as I am not sure.

Thanks.
    Karen

• Karen

Tyler

More testing.

I removed info@geelongstreet.com.au as a member.
    I logged out.
    I entered info@geelongstreet.com.au in the widget (it only took my name and email - the groups have disappeared AGAIN).
    I was advised that I was sent a confirming email.
    I clicked on the link ...and it said Permission Denied.

[POSTSCRIPT: I just tested signing up as info@geelongstreet.com.au as a NEW email - USING THE WIDGET FORM - and got the email and the confirmation link now WORKS and gives the "Newsletter Subscribe Successful subscription!" message. yeah! Just one bit to go - Fixing the page to show groups and testing it.]

I wondered if it was because the Subscribed page was private so have made both subscribed & unsubscribed pages public so I can do the above again.

I am wondering why the GROUPS have disappeared (again)....

OK - LOGGED IN - the groups APPEAR
    BUT LOGGED OUT - the groups are NOT there, only the name and email.

How do I fix this so it STAYS there!

Thanks
    Karen

• Karen

Tyler

I have now fixed the groups on the WIDGET so they appear when LOGGED OUT

...but HOW do I get them to appear on the page when LOGGED OUT. (This is the code listed: [enewsletter_subscribe show_name="1" show_groups="0" subscribe_to_groups="1,5"] ..but it ONLY SHOWS the GROUPS to LOGGED IN viewers.

The page is:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/

Thanks.

It is getting closer at least!

Karen

• Karen

Another test on the page https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/

If you sign up (I used info@geelongstreet.com.au again (as a NEW user) and it ONLY signs you up to one of the Groups (e-books) despite NO GROUPS being available to tick on the page.

Interesting eh?

I hope to get it working soon. I need to post to let people know about the e-books soon.

ALSO - for PAO Community members, is there going to be a message to remind them to sign in to get access to the lists otherwise they are just going to get EMAIL IN USE and NO IDEA how to get around that and join the email list.

Thanks.
    Karen

• Karen

Tyler

I have now FIXED the issue of

...but HOW do I get them to appear on the page when LOGGED OUT. (This is the code listed: [enewsletter_subscribe show_name="1" show_groups="0" subscribe_to_groups="1,5"] ..but it ONLY SHOWS the GROUPS to LOGGED IN viewers.

The page is:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/

I realised I could just change groups "0" to "1" and they would appear.

So now if someone is logged out
    • Name & email & groups APPEAR!

One down, 10 queries to go!

FYI.

• Karen

Tyler

I have just tested a PAO Community member (ie a Membership member) signing in.

The message they get is not one that any documentation tells you is going to appear.

Everything in the PLUGIN is set up to show the GROUPS

...BUT - on BOTH the WIDGET and the actual PAGE - they get a SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTERS message!!!!!

Why is this message appearing????

There is NO opportunity to select the right GROUP/s.

Why are those options not showing for signed in Members???

Thanks if you can advise and ideally fix.

Or show me how to do it.

(Does no one else ever test this stuff? Am I the only one?)

Karen

• Karen

Another question:

Can some of the groups be private...

Why?

I was just creating new Events and there is a widget for ticking if you want a new group to be created for people who respond Maybe to the event.

I thought that was a good idea as you can then follow them up and send a bulk email to them...but they are appearing on the front page widget.

I will try and make them non-public - but maybe there should be something at the event page to indicate there if you want them to be private or public lists.

For the developers?

{POSTSCRIPT: I just checked under List of Groups under Member Groups BUT they are noted as No (ie NOT public) - so WHY are they showing up on the front page? I have to remove them...but there is something wrong there.

Ie if you tick the box against "maybe" to create a newsletter subscription, it creates a PUBLIC Group that is ACTUALLY listed a PRIVATE...so something is not working as it should. FYI.]

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

You can make groups private to the public by leaving the "public users can join this group" checkbox UNCHECKED.

If you sign up (I used info@geelongstreet.com.au again (as a NEW user) and it ONLY signs you up to one of the Groups (e-books) despite NO GROUPS being available to tick on the page.

Have they already been assigned to the other group? What is the shortcode being used on this page? Same as others?

I was just creating new Events and there is a widget for ticking if you want a new group to be created for people who respond Maybe to the event.

Is this about your events+ RSVP list? You can activate the "Guest list options" add-on in your Events > Settings. to control what info displays of your users in the rsvp list.

Hope this helps Karen!

Cheers,
    Tyler

PS. Is it possible if you have more questions to condense them into one post? Maybe number them too if you could. This will allow us to provide a lot more efficient support for you :slight_smile:

• Karen

Tyler

Thanks for that.

It is hard to get them all in one post as I am continually trying to work out what is going wrong.

Sometimes I solve it myself and let you know. Other times I find more that is wrong and not working. All this takes place over several days and when I can block my time to work on things. I have to fit this around running a business. It isn't possible to batch it any more than I do. I also find if I do have a list of questions sometimes things don't get answered.

I tried numbering them in the past and it didn't help, but happy to re instigate it if you think it will help. The copy text/quote helps to see what is being responded to.

I like the new edit post option as I can go back and postscript things if I find the answer before someone gets back to me.

I am trying to analyse and diagnose alongside what you folk are doing as I never know when anyone is going to get back with an answer. :slight_smile: and I usually need to sort ASAP.

Back to the questions.

1. Do your first and last paras above belong together?

I was in events, ticked the maybe box and it is the RSVP box (I presume that means that people who click on the Maybe attending box on the event?) and the "event with (maybe) beside it" APPEARS in the overall groups list in the widget DESPITE the public box NOT BEING CHECKED. So there is nothing in e-newsletter groups to UNCHECK as it says it is not public BUT it is showing in the Public list! Odd I think.

It seems you are saying there is ANOTHER addon in events that will control that? (In which case a note needs to be against the groups box (where it says "make this group public") to indicate that if they tick the RSVP box in events it will show. ..and maybe a note near where you tick the boxes in the Event itself! (Hope that is clear.)

2. The info@geelongstreet.com.au is a NEW user, so they do not belong to anything else. I am just using that email to see what a NEW user would see onscreen. If I use it, I then delete it so I can test again if I change anything. No codes have been changed for the signup forms. It is literally a test email I keep using to see what shows up for new people (ESP as I find the drop down View as Visitor list useless. It doesn't work.)

I think the reason it went to one group only was that one box was ticked where it asked if you want them to be auto signed up to lists. I then ticked both boxes and they were assigned to both lists.

3. There is the remaining issue of Membership members only getting the Subscribe to Newsletters. I cannot see where this message is being generated, so can't fix it. It does NOT give PAO community Members the choice of any Groups. It just lumps them into whatever is the default choice.

Thanks again for your help.

As soon as it all works I will get out of your hair!

• Karen

Tyler

I asked my PAO community members to test the sign in.

Here is the response:

Hi Karen,

I just logged into the TPARC site and subscribed to the newsletter as per yr instructions below, and got a message "You have been subscribed successfully". Haven't got a confirmation email yet but will see if one came through when I get home this arvo.

So it works!

(I first tried subscribing without logging into the site, but got the same "Email already in use" message as before).

1. I am a tad concerned about her not getting the confirmation email - I suspect one isn't sent to Members already registered under Membership (in my case PAO Community members)? (If so I need to tell her not to expect it).

2. I also tested signing up as an existing PAO member (using another email I have).
    This is interesting as:

2.1 You only see "Subscribe to Newsletters" - you don't get to choose the Groups.
    2.2 Once you click Submit, you not only get the "Subscribed successfully" message (on the page) BUT the boxes for the two Groups (on the Widget) are EMPTY. So you then have to tick those boxes to actually subscribe - OR they should show what you are signed up for - ie already have ticks in them.(Seems back to front to me - Group boxes ONLY appear AFTER you have Subscribed!)

Can someone please look into this?

Thanks.
    Karen

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

1. I am a tad concerned about her not getting the confirmation email - I suspect one isn't sent to Members already registered under Membership (in my case PAO Community members)? (If so I need to tell her not to expect it).

Is this for the double opt-in confirmation email? if so, then yes, only non-registered users will receive it.

2.1 You only see "Subscribe to Newsletters" - you don't get to choose the Groups.

Are you sure this instance of your shortcode contains the "show_groups" set to 1? I just tested this on my own site, and got both the checkboxes as expected.

2.2 Once you click Submit, you not only get the "Subscribed successfully" message (on the page) BUT the boxes for the two Groups (on the Widget) are EMPTY. So you then have to tick those boxes to actually subscribe - OR they should show what you are signed up for - ie already have ticks in them.(Seems back to front to me - Group boxes ONLY appear AFTER you have Subscribed!)

On my install, I am able to check the groups I want to subscribe for, then once the page has refreshed I will see those groups still with a check in the box, as you say.

This leads me to believe that it may be a conflict with one of your plugins, are you receiving any errors? Have you tried deactivating your other plugins to ensure it isn't a conflict?

Thanks for your patience Karen :slight_smile:

Look forward to your reply!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. Yes it is double optin(because I found some features don't work if you don't check that box) FYI

2.1 the problem with this is that I cannot find the page it is on. I have the widget "sign up for our ebook" and a "Subscribe to OUR newsletter" but I have not created the "Subscribe to Newsletters" ...it is the latter that is showing for our Members...WHERE it is located is what is puzzling me. THEN I can change it.:slight_smile:

2.2 refreshing worked. It just looks odd that the page show it but not the widget...are they connected? Seems not if they show different things.

Thanks.

I'll check to see if any questions missed.

Oh, yea is there away the developers can put a message so anyone who is already a signed up member gets a reminder to log in first? Otherwise I have to keep putting it in accompanying text. It would be good for it to part of the auto message. Thanks

Karen

• Karen

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS FROM ABOVE

4. Query - Affects ALL Widgets in my BP theme (Aug 14 3.53.29)

Vinod - do I need another post on this?. There is something wierd with where the e-newsletter widget is appearing.

1. I notice (this has been the case for a while) that I have to nominate the blog widget to get them to appear on the right hand column for non-blog pages.

2. I just added the e-newsletter widget in #3 position and it ends up at the top.

5. Developer Issue (14 Aug 8.02.51)

Do the developers realise that if you UNCHECK the double opt in box, that is when you get that issue with permission DENIED message after putting your email, so in fact you are NOT able to use a non double option?

Can someone confirm they know about this and put a note against the part in settings to let people know - or fix the issue.?

..and again on 15 Aug 12.13.49

The issue I have is that people are registering and then getting Permission Denied pages - either straight away OR when they click on the Confirmation link from the double optin email (the whole thing doesn't work UNLESS and UNTIL you click on double optin which makes that MANDATORY not optional , but that is by the by).

and

Postscript: Perhaps the message "This email is already subscribed!" Could have something added to it like. "Please Log In with that email to update your profile and add your name to the relevant email list/s."

....and again on 15 Aug 2.23.43

Just on this:

A visitor can only enter their email once before they need to register. This is because the emails aren't being added to the groups - the groups are being added to the email. You can't have multiples of the same email.

I am not wanting to have multiples of the same email, I just want a message to appear when - if they put in their email and it is already in the system - that a message tells them (reminds them if you like) that they are ALREADY registered and to SIGN IN and they will THEN be able to add these groups to their profile.

[See Postscript above for suggested words.]

6. Developer Issue (14 Aug at 8.19.28)

This is the message I get:
    "Failed to send opt-in email, please contact us and inform about this error."

Why isn't it telling you that that email is already used?

The email has been entered but the link in the email not activated so this is a stage that the message to the person needs to be tailored.

It should say "that email has been used but not yet confirmed" or something like that.

For the developers please....

7. Member Numbers (14 August post)

I just checked the members and the ones coming via the e-newsletter are NOT getting a member number assigned. They are all listed as #0.. Is there a reason for this? Is that supposed to happen?

I notice that there is a bunch of members assigned the "0" number - shouldn't they be assigned numbers?

8. Developer Issue (15 Aug 9.00.08)

I have also just tested the signup ON THE PAGE with an email I have already used and it tells me that it is "Saving...." Then it goes "the email is already used".

So I then tried same (already used) email on the WIDGET and it just stays on "Saving..." And never goes to the " already used" email.

FYI as it looks like another anomaly the develops might need to fix.

9. The whole post on Fri Aug 15 2014, 2:29:55 PM
    There is a Subscribe to Newsletters button appearing that - as noted above I have no idea what is generating it.
    Any widgets I created are called "Subscribe to Our Newsletters"

To be continued...

Thanks.

• Karen

Tyler

While you are digesting the above, another interesting issue has arisen with page 1160 (subscribe) and 1164 (unsubscribe).

10. On clicking a link above,

Sat Aug 16 2014, 1:39:39 PM
    (a) it appears that there is a page somewhere (maybe called newsletter?)
    (https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/newsletter/1160/)

I tried the link above earlier today which is in the post noted above and it NOW takes me to a DIFFERENT page (now it is an UNSUBSCRIBE PAGE):
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/newsletter-unsubscribe/1160/
    (This should be 1160 and SUBSCRIBE or 1164 and UNsubscribe (not 1160 and UNsubscribe) - the wires are crossed somewhere).

There is also something wrong with the Subscribe page location:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/1160-2/ (notice the "-2" at the end which it won't let me remove?)
    ...it takes me to a BLANK "Newsletter Subscribe" page which has this on it:
    [enewsletter_subscribe_message] (...but the page is BLANK except for the title).

...I seem to be tied in knots somehow....

Going back to the beginning - Under Pages I have:

Our-Newsletters (parent page)
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters (ID 680)

This has the subscribe shortcode - [enewsletter_subscribe] - and text I have written on it.
    This shows the two sign up groups and my text. (tick)

BUT it shows up in the URL as either:
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/1160/ or just
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/

(Query: Why is ID 680 showing up as ID 1160?)
    (Query: What is the difference between [enewsletter_subscribe] and [enewsletter_subscribe_message]?)

Child pages of:
    Newsletter Subscribe (ID 1160)
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/1160-2/
    with [enewsletter_subscribe_message] on it.
    shows Newsletter Subscribe with BLANK page. (Odd)

and
    Newsletter Unsubscribe (ID1164)
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/newsletter-unsubscribe/
    with [enewsletter_unsubscribe_message] on it
    shows a page with Newsletter Unsubscribe on it that is also blank - but I presume this one adds some autotext in when the page is created. (tick)

and then we have
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/subscribe-to-hear-about-our-e-books/ (ID3197)
    [enewsletter_subscribe show_name="1" show_groups="1" subscribe_to_groups="1,5"]
    which shows the two groups to tick and "Subscribe to..." text.

Help?

Access is available.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

Hope you're doing well today.

10. On clicking a link above,

The reason this page is blank is because the content is dynamically generated when clicking the subscribe link in the email. This isn't a page you should be sending members unless it's direct from that subscribe link. I tested this out for you and when I landed on it through the confirmation link it gave me "Successfully subscribed".

As for the "-2" that is likely because at one point you had a different page that was just /1160 so it automatically gave that page 1160-2

Your ID 680 shows up as this for me: https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/ - that isn't 1160 as your newsletter subscribe is 1160 :slight_smile:

I notice that there is a bunch of members assigned the "0" number - shouldn't they be assigned numbers?

Those look to be the members that were blocked from your subscription page before you fixed the "permission" error message.

Can someone confirm they know about this and put a note against the part in settings to let people know - or fix the issue.?

I'm not receiving this issue, infact it's my understanding that the permission denied error was only happening after clicking the double opt-in link correct? If double opt-in is turned off, then there shouldn't be any email being sent out.

3. Something odd (and new) I noticed.

I was going through the above and clicked on a link to page 1160 which is in the e-newletter setting for the SUBSCRIBE page - BUT is taking you to the UNSUBSCRIBE PAGE.

The pages are created then set in the e-newsletter settings. You can make the page titles anything you like. SImply switch the 1160 and 1164 around in those boxes, then they will go to the correct pages :slight_smile:

2.2 refreshing worked. It just looks odd that the page show it but not the widget...are they connected? Seems not if they show different things.

The page shortcode and widget are not connected at all, they are different subscribe boxes.

2.1 the problem with this is that I cannot find the page it is on. I have the widget "sign up for our ebook" and a "Subscribe to OUR newsletter" but I have not created the "Subscribe to Newsletters" ...it is the latter that is showing for our Members...WHERE it is located is what is puzzling me. THEN I can change it.:slight_smile:

The page you get directed to is the 1160 page we mentioned earlier,

You can add any content you like to this page :slight_smile: right now, I see you just have the enewsletter subscribe shortcode which dynamically gives out "succesfully subscribed" as long as the user visiting the page came from the email confirm link.

I have also just tested the signup ON THE PAGE with an email I have already used and it tells me that it is "Saving...." Then it goes "the email is already used".

So I then tried same (already used) email on the WIDGET and it just stays on "Saving..." And never goes to the " already used" email.

This could be a delay on your site. I tested this out on mine and got the "this email is already used" error. I then tried it out on yours and got the same error. That part seems to be all good now :slight_smile: could have just been a temporary delay.

Hope that helps Karen!

I know I didn't cover all 10 there; however, some of these may be better suited for their own posts. I realize they are all to do with e-newsletter, but splitting some of them up into new posts will keep things more organized :slight_smile:

Numbering works well when there a few related questions, once it gets into the double digits it's a good idea to open up multiple posts and keep related questions together. Will make it easier to follow for both sides.

Thanks for your explanations Karen!

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Thanks - working through them.

I am not sure it clarifies much as it doesn't seem to answer the specific questions asked. Sigh. I went to a lot of trouble to be specific but getting only general answers back - it does not help at all.

Anyway...

Thanks I get that blank page = dynamically created. That's fine.

I'm not receiving this issue, infact it's my understanding that the permission denied error was only happening after clicking the double opt-in link correct? If double opt-in is turned off, then there shouldn't be any email being sent out.

It is the other way around - I got the permission denied while double opt in was TURNED OFF (as I didn't want it). Another post by SOMEONE ELSE - see above - clarified that you have to have it ON for those messages to GO AWAY. As a result I turned it ON to have things work. That got RID OF the messages.

***ISSUE BELOW APPEARS FIXED (BY ME) ***

I tried the link above earlier today which is in the post noted above and it NOW takes me to a DIFFERENT page (now it is an UNSUBSCRIBE PAGE):
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/newsletter-unsubscribe/1160/
    (This should be 1160 and SUBSCRIBE or 1164 and UNsubscribe (not 1160 and UNsubscribe) - the wires are crossed somewhere).

The issue here is that 1160 is being added to the UNSUBSCRIBE page - by the settings, it should do to the SUBSCRIBE page.

1160 seems to be added to the our_newsletter page as well as the newsletter_unsubscribe

A. If ID 680 is using TEXT
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/

B. why is SUBSCRIBE using a NUMBER (1160-2)
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/1160-2/

C. and UNSUBSCRIBE is using TEXT again
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/newsletter-unsubscribe/

As I can't change the 1160-2 to 1160, then 1160 STILL EXISTS somewhere. That seems to be turning up in random ways at a suffix to the URLs above.

eg it appears that 1160 is being used and appears at the END of A. and C. above randomly (but the URL still takes them to A. and C. pages)

I have just amended
    the SUBSCRIBE page TEXT (removing 1160-2)
    https://www.publicaffairsjobs.com.au/learning-centre/our_newsletters/newsletter-subscribe/

It all seems to work now.

The numbers are in the right spots as far as I can tell.

FYI in case someone wants to work out why the 1160 number is being used everywhere at the end of the other pages. If you find it not working, please let me know.

Anything else I will start a new post.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.