question about configuring the plugin (and what it actually does)

Am relatively new to Wordpress, but fairly long history of web site development using adhoc tools...

Am interested in this plugin, but am not quite sure it does what I want.

What I'm looking for is a way for any posts I make to G+ end up visible on my WP site. Ideally they'd appear in a widget (shortcode). My preference is that they not be turned into WP blog posts. It's not clear from your site what your plugin does, I suspect the latter.

Therefore I was going to play, but then I couldn't configure it. Issues:
* my G+ profile is my name, not a number? still OK?
* I don't have a page ID, OK to leave blank?
* Google+ activities import looks like the way to go, but the Google APIs info is way out of date, and I couldn't figure out how to set this up. Unable to get a client ID and secret.

thanks,

Peter

• Rupok

Hi Peter ,

What I'm looking for is a way for any posts I make to G+ end up visible on my WP site. Ideally they'd appear in a widget (shortcode). My preference is that they not be turned into WP blog posts.

Yes, showing your Google+ posts in your site widget/shortcode is possible with this plugin. I'm afraid, this plugin will import those as WP blog posts, but there is an option in this plugin settings called "I want to display my imported posts in widgets and shortcode only". Select this option if you want to show your imported posts in your widgets, but not actually post them on your blog.

I believe, you have already checked this but if you haven't, here is the full usage guide of this plugin with screenshots: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/google-1/#product-usage
    On this page, every function of this plugin is described nicely and shown how you can use those. From this page, you will get shortcodes with parameters in details to use in widgets or anywhere you want. Please follow this and let us know if you have any confusion at any specific point.

Regarding your questions:

my G+ profile is my name, not a number? still OK?

You G+ profile still has a number. Please go to your profile and take your mouse over the "Profile" menu and you can see the ID at the bottom. Please check the attached screenshot for reference.

So you can right click on "Profile" link and select "Copy Link Location" in firefox. In this way you can retrieve your google profile ID.

I don't have a page ID, OK to leave blank?

Yes, it's ok to leave this field blank.

Google+ activities import looks like the way to go, but the Google APIs info is way out of date, and I couldn't figure out how to set this up. Unable to get a client ID and secret.

Yes, I just saw that and I'm reporting this to our plugin developer right now. In the mean time, you can follow this tutorial for creating your Google Client keys: http://www.slickremix.com/docs/get-api-key-for-google/
    Follow till step 7. Then select "OAuth 2.0 client ID" instead of "API Key" and proceed. You will get your client IDs.

Please let us know if you still have any confusion. We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Peter

Thanks Rupok,

some progress. I configured the Google API, authenticated from the WP plug in, saved the changes.

However the tags don't do anything, they don't even render, except for the G+1 button which shows 0, not it's true value :slight_smile:.

I have set "widgets and shortcode only" to Yes.

I'm running multi-sites so I did the configuration for the network. Also did it for just one of the sites. No difference.

Not sure what else to try.

Peter

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.