Hi, I was trying to be courteous and reply to a post already listed out of fear of making a duplicate topic. However, I still have questions, and a very long post. Staff suggested I move it here. (This relates to this thread):
Okay...wow...lol...my brain hurts after trying to read the responses in this thread (the one referenced above)...:slight_smile:
I'm reply to this post because now that I have the Membership Premium plugin versus the free one, I can now set more than two access levels. Now, I will give you a bit of background to help someone answer my questions.
In addition to paid areas, I decided to have 2 free areas:
1. A "guest area" where unregistered users can visit
2. A "free member" access level for registered users
This is what I hope happens if I set the default membership right -- is this right (referring to points I indicate below)?
1. I set the stranger access level to "guest area - no login required" (my equivalent to the "visitors area" as described above).
2. I set the default registration user level to "Free Member" so I can collect subscribers who want to receive mailings from me with their permission.
Question about #2 -- Should I check "Assign first subscription level to new users" or not?
3. I left the other settings for the paid access levels as is -- still adding content to them.
Other Questions About Membership Access Based on Prior Testing
Before I upgraded to the Premium, I only had three access levels, which made it kind of tough to designate a guest (visitor) area where no login is required. Now that I have the option to make additional access levels, I have more questions.
1. Before I switched my stranger access level to "guest area" (unregistered visitors) I had it set to "none." Is this why when I tested paid and free signups, none of the fake (test) accounts I created via Paypal Sandbox attached a paid membership to a user?
Concerning this, I had noticed that after making a test payment the user did not have a subscription. I'm guessing this is why - that I needed to change the stranger access level setting?
2. What happens if I set my "default subscriptoin for registered users" to "free" (a "Free membership where login is required")?
I'm hoping what it does is simply the free member signup, but I hope it doesn't cause paid members not to get the paid content they ordered from the paid levels.