question about "global product listing"

Let's assume we have a WPMU network: main site, subsite #2, subsite #3.

Can subsite #3 displays subsite #2's products with "global product listing" (or any other way)?

If yes, when customers order on subsite #3 (to purchase those global listed products of subsite #2), who will receive the money?

• Mark

Hi winning,

1. Can subsite #3 displays subsite #2's products with "global product listing" (or any other way)?

YES.

You can use localized widgets for each site or you can use network wide shortcodes and widgets. You can find those details here:

wp-admin/network/settings.php?page=marketpress-ms

Admin --> Network Admin --> Settings --> MarketPress

You need to decide if you will "Limit Global Widgets/Shortcodes To Main Blog" or not. Down the bottom there are all the shortcodes.

The widgets will be in the widgets area on a given website.

Admin --> Appearance --> Widgets

2. If yes, when customers order on subsite #3 (to purchase those global listed products of subsite #2), who will receive the money?

Subsite #2.

My understanding is that product sales are always tied to the store with the actual listing and inventory of products. In your case, subsite #3 is simply referring a sale to subsite #2. Think of global listings as the collective catalog of the online mall. Technically, the customer is not ordering subsite #2's product from subsite #3 ; they are ordering from a global shopping cart which knows the difference.

You may want to wait until a support staff confirms my response.

• winning

@Mark

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

The goal is to allow subsite #3, #4, #5, #6... to sell products listed on subsite #2 and the money goes to the site where customers see the products (such as subsite #3, #4, #5, #6...).

In other words, each subsite (#3, #4, #5, #6...) can sell subsite#2's products on their site, takes the money, deal with the customers on their own (shipping, returning). Subsite #2 does not deal with individual customers, and only deals with subsite admins, something similar to a wholesale-retail business relationship. Subsite #2 decides what are available for sale and the price. The profit margin for each subsite (#3, #4, #5, #6...) is fixed since subsites (#3, #4, #5, #6...) can not change the price of the products pulled from subsite #2.

Besides that, subsites (#3, #4, #5, #6...) can still enter their own products on their own subsite, just like a standard marketperss operation. When customers go to each subsite (#3, #4, #5, #6...), they don't see any difference, just check out what they want, and deal with the subsite they are on.

Subsite #2 is managed and updated by the WPMU super admin.

We would love to hear your advice and solutions:slight_smile:

• Mark

@winning, I'm not sure I fully understand. You made the analogy to wholesale-retail, but the inventory is not at the store where the purchase is made. It's at another store. So it sounds like more like drop-shipping, which as I understand does not work in Marketpress out of the box. It would require customization.

Am I on the right track? I'd like to help you.. I'm always interested in creative uses for Marketpress.

• winning

@Mark

It is a mix of wholesale-retail, drop-shipping, affilate, etc.

A real life case may be helpful I guess: girl scout cookies/candy bars/popcorns

Kids walk around with a pencil and a piece of paper asking "how many candies do you want to buy from me?", take the cash and write down the names. Kid go back to his organization, use the cash to exchange for the quantity of cookies he sold to people(maybe keep some of the profit as a prize). A few days/weeks later, kids deliver the cookies to his "customers" according to his name list.

So, Kids => subsite #3, #4, #5, #6... who has no inventory, sell directly to his customers by taking paper order, collecting the cash, then buy goods from his organization (wholesale places) often with discounted rates, and, importantly, is also responsible to deliver the goods.

His organization that stores all the goods => subsite #2, who does not deal with customers directly.

I have kids knocking my door all the time selling all kind of things for their orgainzations - it is not safe for them to do that.

Does it make some sense to you now? Please let me know. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.