Question about upgrading to 3.2 and Buddypress 1.2.9

Hi,
I have a WP 3.1.3 multisite with alot of blogs and Buddypress 1.2.8 and I would like to know how to actually upgrade buddypress since I haven't done so before (and I don't see any automatic upgrade for BP in the plugins) The wordpress I'll just automatically upgrade like all other times before. I have used the health check plugin to make sure it I got the correct php and mysql required.

So how do I upgrade to the latest version of buddypress? Is it just like a regular plugin: Deactivate it and after that just remove the bp plugin folder and copy over the new one?

I also use a child theme of the bp-default theme for the blogs on the site. Will that be affected in any way? Only files I have changed some in is the header.php (removed buddypress menus and added a custom menu), sidebar.php (text and a button with some js) and style.css (font color and size of body text)

Just want to make sure I haven't missed some essential information about upgrading causing the side to stop working :slight_smile:

Thanks
/Robert

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya Robert,

Deactivate it and after that just remove the bp plugin folder and copy over the new one?

Yep, that should be fine!

I also use a child theme of the bp-default theme for the blogs on the site. Will that be affected in any way?

If that's in /wp-content/themes then no, it won't be affected if you just update BuddyPress in /wp-content/plugins. Otherwise, you'll need to back up your child theme and re-install it after you update BP.

Cheers!
    Phil

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Can I chime in with my issues on this?
    I'm trying to upgrade both wp and buddypress, and am getting nowhere. I know about the javascript and jquery issues with wp 3.2.1 and BP 1.2.8, so I'm expecting so problems. But here's what's happening.
    I disable all my plugins.
    Automatically upgrade WP (3.2.1)
    There is no indication on my plugins list that BP is out of date (although its 1.2.8). So I did what Dukeswe suggested and deleted the BP folder and replaced it with the 1.2.9 version.
    But everything is still broken (same javascript and jquery issues as if I hadn't upgraded BP).

I'm using BP-Daily, for what that's worth.
    All other plugins are deactivated.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Laurie

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Okay, that suggests that some files might be missing or that files don't have the correct permissions so you'll want to check that first of all.

Also, take a look any errors your browser is outputting. You should have some sort of Error/Javascript Console which would show any errors.

Phil

• IntegraLLC
    • Flash Drive

Hi Phil,
    Thanks!

I'm looking through the files and checking permissions. Should I just be looking at buddypress files?

Also I'm getting the following error from my browser (Firefox), but not sure what to do about it...

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIWebNavigation.loadURI]" nsresult: "0x80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/viewSource.js :: viewSource :: line 221" data: no]

Thanks again,
    Laurie

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.