question about wordpress splash page

This question is about a splash page.

I am using WP 3.4.1, and am hosted on hostgator, in case you ask.

I am defining a splash page as a page that a visitor will see when they first visit the site, and after that they won’t see it anymore.

They will see the splash when they come to the domain name, or perhaps any of the pages on the site, but only once.

I have tried some of the plugins, read the codex at least minimally there…

I am pretty sure the plugins that say that splash pages are easy with their plugins – they are all broken – so having tried splashgate and wp splash ( any others please i will try them ) they are not very well supported.

So i think to be sure i can get it working i am going to have to go into the php files and add some code myself.

But where are some examples of this direction i need to take?

If you link me to a codex please make sure it is up to date and current and is relevant to the question.

thanks,

ed

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @eddierosenthal,

I don’t think I’ve assisted ya on DEV just yet, so let me welcome you to WPMU DEV! :slight_smile:

Great question and my experience has been the same as yours – the plugins that offer splash pages seem broken and out of date.

We have a plugin here that provides for a popover which you can easily mark to show to first-time visitors only:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/the-pop-over-plugin/

I know that’s not exactly what you’re looking for, so I also found this post on the .org forums which should do it pretty nicely for you:

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/temp-landing-page-but-access-rest-of-site#post-2296268

Hopefully something there will get ya going. Let us know!

Thanks!

• eddierosenthal
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks Mason, i tried it out and i believe it to be the best of the lot i have tested so far. I probably will use it in production. One thing i noticed is that after having activated one of the rules, then deciding i did not want that rule and removed it, the rule then no longer appeared in the list of rules to again reactivate. If i need that rule i am guessing i would remove the plugin and re install, or perhaps it was some glitch or something i overlooked, dunno.

And to make sure that the splash page does not come up on any thing but the home page i do appreciate the rule about only showing the rule on a certain URL. That makes it a 4.5 star out of 5 star vote for me.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I just ran a test on my install and the Conditional rules did appear back in the list when I removed them from a pop up. If you’re not seeing that there may be a javascript conflict from another plugin or the theme.

To verify this you could deactivate all other plugins than see if things work as expected. If so, re-enable the plugins one at a time until you find the culprit.

As to the X icon, there’s no way to customize this other than to code it into the plugin. You can look at wp-content/plugins/popover/popover-load-js.php around line 108 to see where the po_removeMessageBox function is attached to the Closebox Div.

This would need to be modified to a click anywhere outside of the popup window. Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• Leofitz
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Also, could you provide the file name into which the extra code is to be pasted?

<?php do_action(‘wsi_first_load_mode’:wink:; ?> after the <body>

A screen shot of where in the file this is inserted would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.