Question and Answer Page

I am looking for some advice on the best way to achieve this:

I want a page on my main site where registered members (paid not free) can ask a question and certain members (experts level) can only answer them. However all members free included can view this page.

I have looked for plugins, have looked at using a forum for this, but none (from what I could tell) have the permission levels for starting a thread or posting. The closest I have found is a theme that does this, however it comes with a price tag that is too much to test if it works.

I have seen a very rough and not very good free q&a theme in the WordPress repository.

Any ideas?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@AquaPebble: I'd be wary of a theme that claims to do this unless it has a plugin with it. You could easily be opening the way to spam here even if members. However that all being said you need to check it also works with BuddyPress if you have it. I would suggest you could always post this as a job on our job board and get a professional custom solution.

• drmike
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Gotta admit that I wouldn;t be using wp for this. It's completely backwards from what you;re trying to do as instead of users with higher authority writing the posts, the lower ranked users are doing so.

There's software out there that can do this. If you google for "yahoo answers clone" you should see lots. Also looks like you can do this in Joomla:

http://www.rajputbrotherhood.com/home/technology/5-innovative-extensions-for-creating-yahoo-answers-clone-in-joomla.html

edit: Just found this but as Tammie says, it;s just a theme:

http://www.selftest.com.pk/clone-yahoo-answers-with-answer-theme-for-wordpress/

reedit:

This looks interesting:

http://www.americaninsurancebroker.com/yahoo-answers-wordpress.html

• AquaPebble
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Tammie no I haven't gone with a theme as the free one is nasty so that was discarded. The other one is a premium Templatic theme called Answer (a bit like wikihow) and I am not prepared to pay $65 to test something that might not work in the way I want it to.

I have just come across a plugin that has been recently added to WordPress repository (or I never saw it before when I was looking): http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/question-and-answer-forum/

I will have a look at that and see if it works, otherwise I will have to consider my options.

• AquaPebble

@drmike. Thanks for that. I must have been typing my reply as you did yours as I have only seen it now.

I will look through those options. I have just installed that plugin I referred to above, which uses the post for a question and comments for answers. Perhaps I could use that with the membership plugin, not sure.

Will test tomorrow and feedback. I appreciate your help.

• AquaPebble

Okay I think I give up the thought of using WordPress for this.

The closest is probably using that Templatic Ask theme (same one you referred to) with membership plugin for views and comment moderation - though comment moderation is not ideal.

I looked at role type plugins, but based on the roles and capabilities codex there are none that manage commenting based on role. Well not that I could tell with my limited knowledge; if I could have done this it would have been ideal.

That plugin mentioned above had potential, but is fairly new and quite buggy. I couldn't get it to work properly. It had a question form page (post title and contents on front end) which could have been restricted by membership and a question list page I could have left open for all registered members. The tricky part was comment moderation as any plugins that allow comments to be moderated on specific posts are old and no longer supported - though I would have needed to set comment moderation on a category rather than a post. All the questions get assigned to a category. Though comment moderation would really be a compromise to my ideal.

I will probably have to look at setting up a sub domain with a Joomla install. It is a pity as I wanted to do it within my main website.

Unfortunately, we can't afford custom development at this stage - else I wouldn't be setting this site up. :slight_smile:

• jonnylons
    • Flash Drive

Have you tried using the settings feature for this plugin that is already available?

For example you could enroll as site "writers" into your site the members that you want to be able to answer the questions. Set them up as "authors" on this site. Then go into the plugin settings (Questions > Settings) and extend to the "authors" the permissions you need.

In order to prevent unpaid members from seeing this feature, you could make them "subscriber" status and not grant any permissions and to paid members, who you only want to ask questions, grant them "contributor" status and grant permissions where they would be able to ask questions.

I think this could work perfectly for what you need. You would probably just have to use the Pro Sites plugin to separate the paid members from the unpaying members...but shouldn't be too hard.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.