Question: Domain Mapping

Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I would rather hear what you guys say in regards to -
Q: what is the core difference between the WPMUDEV Version of Domain Mapping and the domain mapping plugin on wordpress plugin repository?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/
vs
https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

As far as I can tell they do basically the same thing....

Thanks, just need a little clarity that's all :wink:

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@Mustafa,

Thanks for your opinion. I've read so much varying opinions about which to use I thought it was best to ask the community here. Thanks for answering with your choice and didn't know there was a limitation of amount of domains?.

Anyone else? Would love to know your thoughts as well?

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

I've been using the repository one for awhile now to good success. It does have more settings controls and better admin feedback about the domains and sites that using them.

That said, it doesn't play when you have ajax on the page. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/ajax-and-domain-mapping-dont-play-well-together

To avoid from reading the wall of text linked above, with it, you can have remote/global login on your MU network, or you can have functioning ajax elements but you can't have both at the same time. It has to do with how WP access admin-ajax file.

WPMU's
    This week I've replaced the repository plugin with WPMU's plugin in an attempt to see how well it plays with logins and ajax. At this moment, I don't have an answer. I've started a thread you may want to keep an eye regarding this: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-global-login-not-working

There are a couple of plugins made by WPMU Dev that use ajax (Q&A, MarketPress and maybe others) that are designed for Multisite.

Generally,
    Either plugin should work for you depending on your needs, however, note that in the second link I posted above, it appears that global login doesn't work with WPMU's plugin out of the box (which should be a core option or feature). I'm waiting for some feedback from the staff to see if there is some configuration issue I missed. I have been using the repository plugin for several months now with good success as long as you don't need both ajax and global login.

• Jonathan

@Saunt Valerian,

Thank you for the detailed response. I have been playing around with wpmudevs version with great success, but have read that the wordpress version is superior in many areas (the sources of these claims and the facts are unclear) which is why I thought to ask the community here.
    Thank you for bringing the login issue to my attention. I will watch your thread to see what develops.

As for the wpmudev version, everything seems to work. It has been a little glitchy at times edit: (the login cookies are buggy across network) seems to work meaning some sites user is logged in, others not. Also you can't login from mapped domain. It takes you to primary. But the login issue has been mentioned before - :end edit.
    But I have read in the forums that apparently the next release is going to blow everyone away :wink: and that is why I am questioning the differences to the two.

Thanks again. For your input :wink:

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Jonathan,

I've used both in the past myself, but now stick with the WPMU DEV plugin because of its integrated support in Supporter, which is the deciding factor for myself. I imagine that may be the case with others here too.

That said, I had an easy time working with both plugins though.

Cheers,
    David

• Saunt Valerian
    • The Bug Hunter

Jonathan,

The last hurdle for domain mapping has been crossed. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/domain-mapping-and-marketpress

I'm going with the repository version for now since it is stable with with the logins even though it can't integrate well with supporter (though I've decided to support domain mapping for free, since the major blogging networks charge for it...).

I've also deployed it using a dedicated IP address. I was previously requiring my bloggers to set their nameservers to my host and then I parked their domain in Cpanel. This method hijacks their domain name and forces me to have to worry about MX records for them in the event they use it for email. I had some issues with that. Having a dedicated IP address means they only need an A record to point their domain to your site, leaving their mail exchange in place. This is a less intrusive method and a better practice.

• Jonathan

@DavidM,

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your point of view :wink:

@Saunt Valerian,

Thanks for the heads up. Glad the ajax issue is now fixed :wink:

@riyaku,

Thanks for listing an additional plugin, will have a look.

Thanks all for the input and for detailing your individual experiences with various domain mapping plugins. This has helped me greatly towards my final decision. I'm going with the repository version for now since it is more stable with with logins

Thanks again everyone...
    Cheers,

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.