Question on Membership Plugin Download Protection and Shortcodes

I have the premium membership plugin installed and I'm having 2 challenges:

1. Downloads. I configured the plugin so that the documents available for download have their URL protected. However, now, whenever a user is not logged in, many internal links have the URLs modified, not just the documents, which means that internal links are effectively broken. How do I keep this feature working ONLY on the documents I've specified?
Note: I have all documents uploaded via the Media Uploader, and have been added to the "Licensees Only" protected document group, which is chosen in the Membership Optons panel.

2. Shortcodes. When I choose to have Shortcodes hidden by default, it makes ALL shortcodes on my site be hidden by default, not just the ones I specify in the options panel. I know there is a Contact 7 Shortcode plugin to help with this for those shortcodes in particular, but I also use shortcodes which are built into the Elegant Themes theme I'm using, and those are treated as protected shortcodes, too. How do I make the protected shortcodes be ONLY the ones I've listed in the options panel?

Also, can I choose to get emails on this topic thread?

Thanks
Alan

DavidM

Hello Alan,

Membership does change the url (permalink) to the files in order to hide them, of course. I'm not sure there's an easy way around this except to perhaps alter your existing urls to reflect the change. You may be able to do this with a quick SQL query to your database. Would that be viable for you?

Regarding the shortcodes, you could of course, make them non-hidden by default and simply place the shortcodes you want to hide in the negative rules area for whatever membership levels you'd like to hide them for.

Regarding notifications of updates to this thread, In the right hand sidebar Meta area, you'll the Add this topic to your favorites (?) option. You could select that to subscribe to this thread.

Also, at the top of each thread you'll see the RSS feed link to the single post.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/rss/topic/question-on-membership-plugin-download-protection-and-shortcodes-1

You could set that up with an RSS reader and if you wish, have that email notify you of updates.

Cheers,
    David

Barry

How do I keep this feature working ONLY on the documents I've specified?

The plugin basically uses obfuscation to disguise the real location of your uploaded documents - if you where to set this to only obfuscate the protected documents then their location could be easily discovered by someone looking at the source of the page and seeing where this unprotected files where located.

It should however only change the locations of files uploaded via the media manager, and handle any loading of them, so not sure what is happening if you are getting broken links? Can you give us some more details of the options settings you have for the download protection part?

When I choose to have Shortcodes hidden by default, it makes ALL shortcodes on my site be hidden by default, not just the ones I specify in the options panel.

Yep, that's right.

How do I make the protected shortcodes be ONLY the ones I've listed in the options panel?

You can't - via the options it's protect all or protect none - you then need to specify via the levels and rules which specific shortcodes are allowed / not allowed (depending on the setting in options).