Question regarding Fundraising and Multisite or BuddyPress.

Sorry for any stupid questions... I'm new to multisite, and you guys have so much good stuff on here, it's not easy to wrap my head around everything. lol

Okay, so with Fundraiser, it says you can operate your own fundraising site. As I'm reading through all of the documentation and support posts, am I correct in the following?

1. We can operate this as a single install or on the main site only, in which case, the admin would have to set up every fundraising project and all funds would go to the admin's/website's/company's PayPal account.

2. The same thing goes for BuddyPress. One plugin, one site, one owner.

3. For multisite, the plugin can be activated across the network, which would allow each individual subsite owner the ability to activate and use the Fundraiser plugin.

Assuming that is all correct...

Questions regarding 3:

1. From what I glean from the support threads, etc., this is not a chained payment situation, so we are not able to take a portion of the donations (such as with traditional crowdfunding sites, like Kickstarter and as opposed to MarketPress-type sites, like Etsy). Is that right?

2. When they activate the plugin on their subsite, is the PayPal information linked directly to them? Meaning, is it completely separate from the main one (mine)?

3. If so, does this mean they have to go through the entire complicated PayPal API process to set up their account? Or does that just link PayPal to my site?

A little confused on these points. Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Best wishes,
Kristen

• aecnu

Greetings Kristen,

Welcome to WPMU DEV!

Thank you for the questions.

3. For multisite, the plugin can be activated across the network, which would allow each individual subsite owner the ability to activate and use the Fundraiser plugin.

Incorrect - if you network activate something it is indeed network activated - activated throughout the entire network. If not network activated, it is still available in the plugins section of the sub site for them to activate if they so desire.

1. From what I glean from the support threads, etc., this is not a chained payment situation, so we are not able to take a portion of the donations (such as with traditional crowdfunding sites, like Kickstarter and as opposed to MarketPress-type sites, like Etsy). Is that right?

That is correct.

2. When they activate the plugin on their subsite, is the PayPal information linked directly to them? Meaning, is it completely separate from the main one (mine)?

The PayPal info will be blank until they put it in UNLESS network activated.

3. If so, does this mean they have to go through the entire complicated PayPal API process to set up their account? Or does that just link PayPal to my site?

They have to go through the process but that also releases you from liability. If it were any other way, imagine someone putting up a bogus fundraiser getting lets say half a mill and disappearing - guess who's liable.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

• bookadilly

Okay, sorry for the basic questions. I just wanted to make sure I understand.

The PayPal info will be blank until they put it in UNLESS network activated.

So if I network activate it, it would have my PayPal information in there but they would have access to setting up the projects? (I'm not saying this is what I want, lol, just trying to clarify.)

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
    Kristen

• aecnu

Greetings Kristen,

Sorry that I indeed deleted my last post which was actually meant for a different ticket addressing Market Press - not Fundraising.

On to your question ...

So if I network activate it, it would have my PayPal information in there but they would have access to setting up the projects? (I'm not saying this is what I want, lol, just trying to clarify.)

My statement was incorrect The PayPal info will be blank until they put it in UNLESS network activated., when network activated the only difference I can see is that it is indeed forced on every web site within the network and they must still activate the gateway and add there own information.

Sorry for the mistake.

Have a GREAT upcoming weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.