Question regarding Multisite Configuration to view Mapped Sub-Domains Data

Hi Guys,

Looks like a great plugin but the documentation could really use some updating. Had to spend a few hours to figure out 'mapped domains' and how to use custom reporting to be able to view data on subdomains. After all that, I'm still just a little confused and wanted to know if I have this setup correctly.

I have a Multisite with a top level domain name (agentfire.com), and all of my client sites are subdomains (clientsite.agentfire.com) that are mapped to primary domains

My Settings
1) In my primary Analytics profile, I have it set to 'show subdomains of agentfire'
2) My default URL is http://www.agentfire.com
2) I used the UA code from that profile for my network admin --> settings --> google analytics --> network wide site tracking code
3) Also in my network settings, I have 'subdomain' 'page load times' and 'domain mapping' enabled

Questions:
To track individual subdomains, I followed rsisales advice from this threat (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-set-up-subdomain-profiles-with-mulitisite-analytics). That seems to work, but this thread was also posted before the 'mapped domains' option was added to this plugin. So regarding this, does the new 'domain mapping' option still require that this custom reporting be done to see what hits are going to what domain mapped subdomains of my site?

My clients will be entering their own UA tracking codes via their admin panels.

Regarding Tracking AgentFire.com itself
To track only the stats from agentfire.com, and not the entire multisite installation, should I create a new 'property', or instead new 'profile' under the master profile I already created for AgentFire. I notice that when creating a new 'profile', it uses the same tracking code. Creating a new 'property' creates a new tracking code.

thanks for the help in advance!

• Mason

Hiya @ncuesta,

Let me see if I can help answer your questions here. Looks like you've got things fairly near setup already.

So regarding this, does the new 'domain mapping' option still require that this custom reporting be done to see what hits are going to what domain mapped subdomains of my site?

No custom coding/reporting required. The plugin will now work with mapped domains.

To track only the stats from agentfire.com, and not the entire multisite installation, should I create a new 'property', or instead new 'profile' under the master profile I already created for AgentFire.

I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to use our plugin in this scenario. What our plugin does uniquely from the various free products available is it provides network-wide stats. If you want to track domains and sites completely separately it'd probably be easier to just install a free plugin and activate it individually on your sites.

Does that help? Let us know. Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.