Question/Requests revisited: slugs, 404, sorting, mass add, recent, tags, listing of Wiki Pages

As requested in these threads, an overview of what I perceive as bugs and or missing features for the Wiki plugin as currently released, keeping it from being really useful:

* Bugs
(1) Main Wiki page is a 404, so either a home/archive page is missing (or instructions on how to make one for the Wiki custom post type), or a coding bug. A user should be able to link to the Wiki I think?
Phil mentioned:

the wikis aren't displayed like a normal custom post type would be. I.e. the default archive display is over-ridden in order to show the edit, history etc links

so it is unclear how to prevent the 404. If this template is needed to prevent 404 errors, then the plugin should come with that.

(2) Closely related: I noticed that I can use a blank slug for the wiki, so that the main Wiki pages will appear as domain.com/subject1 instead of domain.com/wiki/subject1. According to Phil:

Hmm yeah, that isn't likely to work out well. I'll flag this up for fixing.

Actually, it worked fine and unless it really creates problems, (the rewrite rules?) I would prefer to use it that way. No point in having an extra slug if not needed. See also related question I asked
in this way, can I set up a subdomain in a network install (wiki.domain.com) with wiki's off the homepage?
If I do use a slug, for example 'Wiki', the resulting main wiki page (domain.com/wiki) 404's, while I cannot edit this page to put anything to avoid an ugly 404. So the only option is use method above and have subwikis of the first wiki.

See *** at end of the post for more info on live site.

(3) the 'cancel' edit link in an edit screen does just refresh the edit page and does not go back to the page itself

(4) Note that the 'Subwiki' name should not be hardcoded but should be set in settings, as most people have no idea what a (sub)wiki is, especially on non-tech and non-english sites.
(5) Note that the subwiki list shows up below the Bookmarks and ads plugin's output (footer calls), it should be above, as part of the content/loop?.

Wishlist: some will see this as bugs, others as wishes or missing features. I think we need these for normal usage:

(6) Reordering: as they are basically pages, is there a way to re-order them? Page mash does not work, and even Custom Post Types Reordering does not work (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-types-order/). Note that it does work on your other custom post types plugin (Q&A), so maybe these are differently defined post types?

Anyway, would be great to have the functionality built in: sorting and order. Even just an option for a standard alphabetical sort instead of time based would be nice to start with (think of names of countries as subwiki pages)

(7) Is there a way to mass add Wiki pages? There is a plugin for mass adding pages, but for the Wiki it is much more useful, as the users can edit these. so a box where a list of titles (for example the mentioned country list) can be typed/pasted and all wiki pages would be created. or if you want to really mimic a Wiki, then any non existent page should be created when typing in the non-existent URL.

(8) It was already requested a few months ago on the forum, but I did not find it yet: can the widget be a bit smarter:
- Choice wether only to display on Wiki pages and/or wiki subpages
- Additional widget with recently edited/added pages
- Popular wikis (many comments)
- depth and length of wiki listing: just the main (current?) categories, how many subwiki pages per category etc.

(9) Connected with bugs (1) and (2) and request (6): Listing: Is there a way to have a main or category page (main wiki pages) automatically list all sub wiki pages with links, like WikiPedia etc does. So a (sub)page listing, Table of Contents, or however you want to call it for the Wiki. Current 404 (main page) and time-based listing (subwikis) are not useful and counter intuitive, compare with any category pages in any Wiki software.

(10) Tags: can you add functionality to add tags to Wiki pages, so wiki pages will show up in the tag search?

(11) related: are wiki's being searched at the moment in a site and/or global search? If so, is there a way to search just the Wiki, if not, how can Wiki pages be added to the search results?

A long list, but I trust this will help you improve the plugin where needed, as I think these are all quite typical user scenarios/requests.

*** ad (1) & (2): Working example
if I use a / slug (so nothing in the slug/settings field), then it works half:
- http://biketravellers.com is just the homepage and works normally
- http://biketravellers.com/country-info/ shows, (parent wiki is country-info) but not the list with subwikis (Argentina, Chile etc), even though they work in themselves (http://biketravellers.com/country-info/argentina/ ) and show up in the widget.
- Subwikis also show as planned (note they only have a small line of test content)

When use a slug (for example, Wiki), then:
- http://biketravellers.com/wiki/ is a 404
- http://biketravellers.com/wiki/country-info/ shows and even shows the list of subwikis (which would solve my original question (5), if it could be reordered easily (at least alphabetically, have you ever seen a wiki page with category pages in random/edit time order?).

I know I can just use /country-info for the slug and 'fix' this, but I want to have different top level wiki pages (not just country-info, but also gear-manual, Bikeframes, bloglists etc), without the /wiki/ prefix.

Cheers

• DavidM

Hi Patagonia,

Taking note of your item 7...

(7) Is there a way to mass add Wiki pages? There is a plugin for mass adding pages, but for the Wiki it is much more useful, as the users can edit these. so a box where a list of titles (for example the mentioned country list) can be typed/pasted and all wiki pages would be created. or if you want to really mimic a Wiki, then any non existent page should be created when typing in the non-existent URL.

Would something like a CSV importer that works with the wiki custom post type, something like the following plugin, suit your purpose?
    http://wpplugins.com/plugin/145/turbocsv-2/

• Patagonia

Hi DavidM,

Would something like a CSV importer that works with the wiki custom post type, something like the following plugin, suit your purpose?
    http://wpplugins.com/plugin/145/turbocsv-2/

Yes, something like that might work.
    You might want to build on a free plugin that does the same, I used it to add pages: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mass-page-maker/ but it cannot do custom post types (the premium plugin does not seem to do that either). It can import CSV or you can just type/paste a list in the admin area. Very useful, but not updated lately.
    Cheers

• S H Mohanjith

(1) Main Wiki page is a 404, so either a home/archive page is missing (or instructions on how to make one for the Wiki custom post type), or a coding bug. A user should be able to link to the Wiki I think?

Thanks for the suggestion. It would be a very important feature.

(2) Closely related: I noticed that I can use a blank slug for the wiki, so that the main Wiki pages will appear as domain.com/subject1 instead of domain.com/wiki/subject1.

It should work fine as long as you are only using the wiki plugin. Other plugins might have issues with this. That's all. If you are going to have a dedicated Wiki site this would work perfectly.

(3) the 'cancel' edit link in an edit screen does just refresh the edit page and does not go back to the page itself

That's how it's meant to work, but I see it caused some confusion here. Let me redirect back to the view wiki page in an upcoming release.

(4) Note that the 'Subwiki' name should not be hardcoded but should be set in settings, as most people have no idea what a (sub)wiki is, especially on non-tech and non-english sites.

For non-english sites you can translate the plugina and Sub wiki is a translatable phrase. For non-tech sites if we have this as an option will help.

(5) Note that the subwiki list shows up below the Bookmarks and ads plugin's output (footer calls), it should be above, as part of the content/loop?.

I'll look into this and get it sorted

(6) Reordering: as they are basically pages, is there a way to re-order them? Page mash does not work, and even Custom Post Types Reordering does not work (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/post-types-order/). Note that it does work on your other custom post types plugin (Q&A), so maybe these are differently defined post types?

This would be a nice feature to have. I'll see what I can do to get it to work wit custom post types reordering plugin.

This is another feature we would love to add. Please expect this in an upcoming release.

(8) It was already requested a few months ago on the forum, but I did not find it yet: can the widget be a bit smarter:
    - Choice wether only to display on Wiki pages and/or wiki subpages
    - depth and length of wiki listing: just the main (current?) categories, how many subwiki pages per category etc.

We will have them added soon.

(9) Connected with bugs (1) and (2) and request (6): Listing: Is there a way to have a main or category page (main wiki pages) automatically list all sub wiki pages with links, like WikiPedia etc does. So a (sub)page listing, Table of Contents, or however you want to call it for the Wiki. Current 404 (main page) and time-based listing (subwikis) are not useful and counter intuitive, compare with any category pages in any Wiki software.

(10) Tags: can you add functionality to add tags to Wiki pages, so wiki pages will show up in the tag search?

Categories and tags will be added eventually. Archive pages will be added soon.

(11) related: are wiki's being searched at the moment in a site and/or global search? If so, is there a way to search just the Wiki, if not, how can Wiki pages be added to the search results?

A long list, but I trust this will help you improve the plugin where needed, as I think these are all quite typical user scenarios/requests.

I know I can just use /country-info for the slug and 'fix' this, but I want to have different top level wiki pages (not just country-info, but also gear-manual, Bikeframes, bloglists etc), without the /wiki/ prefix.

If you only plan to use this site as a wiki having no slug is perfectly fine. I believe you will be fine.

• Patagonia

Thanks S H, looking forward to the new versions.

Just one note, if it is indeed ok to use the empty slug as indicated (though there might be the WP rewrite verbose rules bug roaring its ugly head somewhere?), then there is a slight bug: missing sub page list This might be solved by your new version anyway, but just in case, copied from above:

if I use a / slug (so nothing in the slug/settings field), then it works half:
    - http://biketravellers.com is just the homepage and works normally
    - http://biketravellers.com/country-info/ shows, (parent wiki is country-info) but not the list with subwikis (Argentina, Chile etc), even though they work in themselves (http://biketravellers.com/country-info/argentina/ ) and show up in the widget.
    - Subwikis also show as planned (note they only have a small line of test content)

Cheers

• Patagonia

Hi, I spent a lot of time and energy to clearly state the missing and requested features, but as with other threads I have heard nothing since. It's been 9 months since the last message.

I see that there have been many new versions recently, though apparently none of the points above have been addressed?
    My membership is almost over and I must say that I have not used many plugins due to all the shortcomings and value has been poor.

Cheers

• S H Mohanjith

Added in 1.1.7

Changed to go back to the Wiki page in 1.1.7

Since 1.1.7 configurable from Wiki -> Settings

Fixed in 1.1.7

It has been working for quite sometime

Will be working on this next

Added in 1.1.7 . Whether to display subwikis has been a widget option for quite some time. Depth option may be added in the future release.

Archive added in 1.1.7. Categories will be added soon.

Wikis have been searchable for a long time

• S H Mohanjith

(7) Is there a way to mass add Wiki pages? There is a
    plugin for mass adding pages, but for the Wiki it is much more useful,
    as the users can edit these. so a box where a list of titles (for
    example the mentioned country list) can be typed/pasted and all wiki
    pages would be created. or if you want to really mimic a Wiki, then any
    non existent page should be created when typing in the non-existent URL.
    (9)
    Connected with bugs (1) and (2) and request (6): Listing: Is there a
    way to have a main or category page (main wiki pages) automatically list
    all sub wiki pages with links, like WikiPedia etc does. So a (sub)page
    listing, Table of Contents, or however you want to call it for the Wiki.
    Current 404 (main page) and time-based listing (subwikis) are not
    useful and counter intuitive, compare with any category pages in any
    Wiki software.

Added in 1.1.9

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.